Which would be the best canal boat magazine?

moggyjo

Featured Posts

Waterways World will only post his Obituary, as long as it is not sent to any other magazines :D I don't think that the others are so fussy. Which would you choose to get an Obituare printed in?

Wendy

That's terrible.

I agree with Windjammer, if you send it in as a peice of news then there's no reason why they shouldn't add it to their mag.

I would just circulate it to all of them, Waterways World, Canal Boat, Canal & Riverboat, Towpath Talk, etc, along with the popular news websites, such as, dare I say it, Narrowboat World.

That's terrible.

I agree with Windjammer, if you send it in as a peice of news then there's no reason why they shouldn't add it to their mag.

I would just circulate it to all of them, Waterways World, Canal Boat, Canal & Riverboat, Towpath Talk, etc, along with the popular news websites, such as, dare I say it, Narrowboat World.

I reckon "NarrowBoat" (the glossy History/"heritage" magazine) might be the most interested, although they might have a dedicated article or something.

I reckon "NarrowBoat" (the glossy History/"heritage" magazine) might be the most interested, although they might have a dedicated article or something.

Are Narrow boat not WW's historical mag?

I'd send it to the observer or Guardian, as well as the canal rags. Some of these folk warrant national recognition, not just niche.

There might be a bit of a misunderstanding here. Yes, certainly the same story will often be printed in several magazines.

What we don't do, in common with almost every other magazine I know, is print the same words in the knowledge that those words would appear identically in another magazine. A fair number of people buy two or three waterway magazines every month and they'd feel pretty cheated if they got the same thing in both!

Richard

editor, WW

Oh god, here I go again ......

I choose to have my obituary published in NBW, because it'd be a laugh.

:D

lol and then they would change the words the next day following adverse comment and not mention the sources, either way your still a norty licence evader

Back on topic, I read the Obit thread and thought it was excellent, and agree that it should receive national circulation. Im a bit flummoxed as to why WW wouldnt publish it word for word even if printed in other mags. What does it matter, not every one buys all the mags and lets face it, most of the ads are the same!

We are in danger of losing tales of 'those who were there' and an obituary such as this might just tempt some folk into delving deeper into our history and in doing so we gain ,ore interest in our canal system.

I'm with Richard on this one -- a considerable part of the interest in obituaries (and part of the skill of a magazine editor in finding a good obituary writer) is to read personal anecdotes and reflections that throw light and insight on the subject and their life. To read the same "press release" in several mags is surely selling a person's life story short.

I'm with Richard on this one -- a considerable part of the interest in obituaries (and part of the skill of a magazine editor in finding a good obituary writer) is to read personal anecdotes and reflections that throw light and insight on the subject and their life. To read the same "press release" in several mags is surely selling a person's life story short.

But i point out again, not everyone buys all the canal mags so several mags with the same obit will reach a wider audience. we are selling the life story short by having to discuss the way to do it in the first place. It should be shouted from the roof tops along with all those lives that have been and gone from our history both modern and ancient.

A bloke called Harry Cole died last month. He was a London Copper during the 60's 70's and 80's. He wrote a book called 'Policemans Progress' and i remember him being interviewd on Capitol Radio in the 80's when the book first came out. It was an insight into London Life during those times. No radio or news announcment on his death...gone and forgotten

IMO WW either print it or leave it, Ive read it on here and would like to know more

But i point out again, not everyone buys all the canal mags so several mags with the same obit will reach a wider audience. we are selling the life story short by having to discuss the way to do it in the first place. It should be shouted from the roof tops along with all those lives that have been and gone from our history both modern and ancient.

A bloke called Harry Cole died last month. He was a London Copper during the 60's 70's and 80's. He wrote a book called 'Policemans Progress' and i remember him being interviewd on Capitol Radio in the 80's when the book first came out. It was an insight into London Life during those times. No radio or news announcment on his death...gone and forgotten

IMO WW either print it or leave it, Ive read it on here and would like to know more

This rule of "we won't print it if you've sent it to the opposition" does not seem to apply to letters, as I remember recently reading the same letter, identical to the last fullstop, in both WW and Canal Boat. Is it because letters, like adverts, are an easy way to fill pages?

Dave

Harry Cole wrote a wonderfully entertaining weekly column for the South London Press. His byline was "Our ex-copper and Millwall fanatic pulls another tale out of his memery bag" and he certainly had a prodigious memory! There was almost a full page obituary to Harry in the South London Press, as follows:

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn/news....rd=Harry%20Cole

He was also awarded a Southwark Council Blue Plaque (voted by the public) which was placed on Charles Dickens Primary School, close to another for Charles Dickens. Harry can be seen pictured in front of his plaque here:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2460

All in all, Harry may be gone but he certainly won't be forgotten.

Stewey

If you are ever in this area, you could come and meet Rose, she loves to talk about their boating days.

Wendy

The Obituary was not written by a professional but by a aquantance of Jack and Rose and I think Catherine did a JOLLY GOOD JOB.

Harry Cole wrote a wonderfully entertaining weekly column for the South London Press. His byline was "Our ex-copper and Millwall fanatic pulls another tale out of his memery bag" and he certainly had a prodigious memory! There was almost a full page obituary to Harry in the South London Press, as follows:

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn/news....rd=Harry%20Cole

He was also awarded a Southwark Council Blue Plaque (voted by the public) which was placed on Charles Dickens Primary School, close to another for Charles Dickens. Harry can be seen pictured in front of his plaque here:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2460

All in all, Harry may be gone but he certainly won't be forgotten.

Stewey

Thanks for those links

he certainly did have a big memory and good to see he is remembered. Cheers

This rule of "we won't print it if you've sent it to the opposition" does not seem to apply to letters, as I remember recently reading the same letter, identical to the last fullstop, in both WW and Canal Boat. Is it because letters, like adverts, are an easy way to fill pages?

Yes, it does apply. We say on our letters pages "Letters should not have been submitted elsewhere". But if someone chooses to ignore that, there's not a whole lot we can do - given that WW and CB go to the printers just one week apart - other than not print any future letters they send...

Are Narrow boat not WW's historical mag?

I'd send it to the observer or Guardian, as well as the canal rags. Some of these folk warrant national recognition, not just niche.

Agree. Send it around the nationals, but make sure to add additional context so that his role is fuly appreciated.

Waterways World will only post his Obituary, as long as it is not sent to any other magazines...

WW should perhaps learn a little about media convergence and that the advent of blogs, targeted keyword advertising, online forums is only half a step away from replacing traditional media. There are several sectors (GIS being one example) where online media has effectively replaced print altogether. They should count themselves lucky they are not being charged for it.

stort_mark should perhaps learn a little about the WW editor's neogeography background to understand that he knows very well what's happening in GIS, thank you. :D

Knew the post would wind you guys up. :D

Edited by stort_mark

WW are perfectly reasonable to say that they will only publish what is effectively an article if it isn't published elsewhere. You might be able to place a shorter news item or a different obit with the other mag(s), or, in an ideal world, someone else might write an obit for CB.

But if yours is to be the only one I would let WW have it; regardless of their current relative merits, and rightly or wrongly, WW is effectively the journal of record for the field.

In academic publishing it's a complete no-no to submit a piece to more than one publication at a time, and the top journals (in my field at least) can take up to a year to decide whether they want it or not.

There might be a bit of a misunderstanding here. Yes, certainly the same story will often be printed in several magazines.

What we don't do, in common with almost every other magazine I know, is print the same words in the knowledge that those words would appear identically in another magazine. A fair number of people buy two or three waterway magazines every month and they'd feel pretty cheated if they got the same thing in both!

Richard

editor, WW

Have just got a email from Catherine, saying that WW are getting a David Blagrove to do the Obit for Jack. I don't know how he will gather any info but what I do know is that Rose will not talk to anyone that she does not know about their life in the past, as she has done so in the past, only to find that everything she had said, had been changed. I introduced Catherine and Mark to Jack & Rose some years ago and they get on very well, and the main thing is, whenever they print anything on them, they show it to Rose to make sure that everything is true and that they have not added anything.

Aparantly a guy went round to Roses house the other day, started asking about their life on the boats and she told them to go away

Wendy

Have just got a email from Catherine, saying that WW are getting a David Blagrove to do the Obit for Jack. I don't know how he will gather any info but what I do know is that Rose will not talk to anyone that she does not know about their life in the past, as she has done so in the past, only to find that everything she had said, had been changed. I introduced Catherine and Mark to Jack & Rose some years ago and they get on very well, and the main thing is, whenever they print anything on them, they show it to Rose to make sure that everything is true and that they have not added anything.

Aparantly a guy went round to Roses house the other day, started asking about their life on the boats and she told them to go away

Wendy

David Blagrove is a well known historian and author. A lot of his stuff is way too flowery for my taste and his facts are not always spot on.

His "Waterways of Northamptonshire" is quite brilliant, though.