Passing a moving boat

grunders

Featured Posts

Possibly a 'Boat Handling' topic but anyway...

I have a question prompted by the 'how ruuude!!' topic.

Would people expect someone to slow down when they pass you when you are going in opposite directions?

I am never sure whether to slow down or not. I find that, if you slow down too much, and the other boat doesn't then they 'steal your water' and you end up on the bottom. However, if you don't slow down then I think it is more likely that both boats will end up on the bottom.

So, what do people think, when should you slow down to pass and when is there no need to?

Also, with moving over when passing, I generally try to stick close to the middle but will move over 4 feet or so. Most of the time, the other boat moves quite a way over but sometimes you do meet people who do the same thing (i.e. move over slightly) and you pass quite close together.

Of course, relating that back to the question, if you slowed down to pass and moved a long way over, I guess you are less likely to hit the other boat than if you stay near the middle and choose to slow down (as you then get pulled towards the other boat, I think). On the other hand, you are probably more likely to hit the bottom especially if the other boat hasn't slowed down.

Basically, I just can't decide the best way to pass another moving boat and would appreciate advice.

Edited by grunders

It depends on the canal. If it's deep enough nobody needs to slow down. But of course, many are not deep enough.

As you say, if neither boat slows down, there is a chance that you'll both be grounded. I reckon my own chance of grounding will be less if only one boat is trying to draw the water away rather than two, so I usually slow down slightly. Like you I'll usually move about 4 feet to the right, or maybe slightly more if I think my bows are likely to be sucked too hard towards the other boat.

Passing close by and slowing down slightly, gives you more opportunity to explain to the other steerer why you think he should have slowed down (and if you get grounded and therefore completely halted, you have time to pass comment on his ancestry as well)

It depends on the canal. If it's deep enough nobody needs to slow down. But of course, many are not deep enough.

As you say, if neither boat slows down, there is a chance that you'll both be grounded. I reckon my own chance of grounding will be less if only one boat is trying to draw the water away rather than two, so I usually slow down slightly. Like you I'll usually move about 4 feet to the right, or maybe slightly more if I think my bows are likely to be sucked too hard towards the other boat.

Passing close by and slowing down slightly, gives you more opportunity to explain to the other steerer why you think he should have slowed down (and if you get grounded and therefore completely halted, you have time to pass comment on his ancestry as well)

lol

I tend to slow down whatever the canal and be ready for any sudden 'Crazy Ivan' manouvure the other steerer may make. Not slow down to tickover mind unless its a rather narrow section

I dont think the speed is important. When two boats pass they are drawn together (by the hole in the water) so I always point away from the other boat just as we meet. That way the draw pulls me straight again, and not into the stern of the other boat.

With Tafelberg (being 70 foot) if a boat goes past her quick it really pulls the bow to the port side,

If you know that's going to happen why not just steer accordingly? ie. away from it.....

Slowing down will just exacerbate the problem as you loose way......

Can I do this without a diagram (thinks)?

passing; with my motor - probably towing - I head for the oncoming boat, hoping they know what they're doing, slow a little but maintaining good steerage. as we come together the idea is to first have both boats diagonally with their centre's in the middle, pointing to the right, then i turn to try and hit the point where their stern was (if you see what i mean) so i am then diagonally pointing to the left. A hard push on the tiller (to the left) once clear of the other boat and I'm back in the middle again (as hopefully are they)

The principle being that it's quite difficult for two boats passing to hit each other side on - the water will push you away.

Done by 2 experienced boats it's elegant and both boats end up back in the middle at the end of the maneuver. If the other boat is not sure they are likely to take it too wide and lose steerage because of the shallow water.

If you know that's going to happen why not just steer accordingly? ie. away from it.....

Slowing down will just exacerbate the problem as you loose way......

Because I'm not driving the other boat and he could do ANYTHING.

Its a graceful manouvre when it works but the question is "do you slow down" and the answer is "yes". I mean not if we're between moored boats because we're allready going slow unless the channel is narrow, but if out in the country ofcourse we slow down, if I went past a small boat coming the other way with the draw off of Taf at full pelt it would not be a nice experience for them or me.

It really does depend on the canal.....in my 'how ruuude' incident - I had no choice to slow down what with al the very narrow part of the Oxford...either hit the boat with a thwack or go in the bushes..there was very little water space in between....in any other circumstance I think pootling along moderaltly would have been fine! Also the look on their faces spelt grumpy - and dont mess!

Can I do this without a diagram (thinks)?

passing; with my motor - probably towing - I head for the oncoming boat, hoping they know what they're doing, slow a little but maintaining good steerage. as we come together the idea is to first have both boats diagonally with their centre's in the middle, pointing to the right, then i turn to try and hit the point where their stern was (if you see what i mean) so i am then diagonally pointing to the left. A hard push on the tiller (to the left) once clear of the other boat and I'm back in the middle again (as hopefully are they)

The principle being that it's quite difficult for two boats passing to hit each other side on - the water will push you away.

Done by 2 experienced boats it's elegant and both boats end up back in the middle at the end of the maneuver. If the other boat is not sure they are likely to take it too wide and lose steerage because of the shallow water.

This is a particularly satisfying way of passing. I enjoy the way the boats almost steer each other as they pass, particularly as you start to aim for the space behind the other boat, followed by pushing the stern back on line and looking back to see the other boat almost in line behind you.

Richard

This is a particularly satisfying way of passing. I enjoy the way the boats almost steer each other as they pass, particularly as you start to aim for the space behind the other boat, followed by pushing the stern back on line and looking back to see the other boat almost in line behind you.

Agreed! The method outlined by Chris Pink is the best way of passing approaching boats and very satisfying when both steerers get it right. To maintain steerage I alway slow the engine well beforehand and then increase the engine rpm very slightly as the two boats get close.

And of course, you always know when there is another boat coming - it will be just round that blind bend or bridge 'ole - which is why I always slow right down when I cannot see more than three boat lengths ahead. :wub:

Of course it doesn't always work - shallow draughted craft have no fear and come through at full speed not understanding why we suddenly list over as the off-side bumps on the bottom :wub:

We have been in the brambles a few times too . . .

Me too... :)

Those that end up in the trees/aground need lessons. From my experience they always put themselves there, not me..... :wub:

Yes, My last post should be taken literally. With 14' of widebeam on my left, and 10' of overhanging brambles on my right, I'm in the bushes. If I'm going the other way, the oncoming boat is in the bushes. Then there is coming round a blind bend to find an oncoming boat in the middle of the water between the bushes and the boat resident in the bridgehole and I'm bumping the bottom AND in the bushes. Believe me, I keep nothing moveable on my roof. :(

Sometimes, you have only about 8' of water to use and 5' of it is overhung with bushes, the most expert boatman in the world can't put his boat in his pocket and stand back and wait.

Of course it doesn't always work - shallow draughted craft have no fear and come through at full speed not understanding why we suddenly list over as the off-side bumps on the bottom :wub:

We have been in the brambles a few times too . . .

You need a butty on a snubber then, as the steerer nears say

"You've just put me aground so what the butty does is your problem"

which should nicely co-inside with the butty cannoning off the stern and into them!!!

Sometimes you meet someone and think 'perhaps i should have deployed the 12ton unguided missile' but then the moment passes and you either continue or get the pole out :(

Simon.

Yes, My last post should be taken literally. With 14' of widebeam on my left, and 10' of overhanging brambles on my right, I'm in the bushes. If I'm going the other way, the oncoming boat is in the bushes. Then there is coming round a blind bend to find an oncoming boat in the middle of the water between the bushes and the boat resident in the bridgehole and I'm bumping the bottom AND in the bushes. Believe me, I keep nothing moveable on my roof. :(

Sometimes, you have only about 8' of water to use and 5' of it is overhung with bushes, the most expert boatman in the world can't put his boat in his pocket and stand back and wait.

I wasn't advocating a flat out everywhere, bugger everybody else attitude. Just saying there is no need to slow down, go into the trees/aground/nettles with every boat you pass like I see many many boats do. I would exercise caution where there are moored boats/narrow channel/blind corners.

Two narrowboats can pass at canal speed with perhaps as little as 3 feet between them. It's really not necessary to have 20 feet of clear space between to pass safely and those that would rather be in the trees than have less than 20feet, well good luck to them I say...... :wub:

IMHO, there are basically two or three acceptable methods, depending who is coming the other way.

1. Deep draughted trad, with or without butty.

Slow right down, pull over to side. Wait for appreciative nod from steerer as he goes by.

2. Private boat.

Slow down a bit, check though list of pleasant greetings for one you haven't used ten times already this morning. If it's plastic, see "hireboats" method below.

3. Hireboat.

Assume arrogant "U-boat commander" sneer while increasing revs slightly to create a small but menacing bow wave. If you smoke, light a cigarette "a la Clint Eastwood". If not, pick up Nicholson's and pretend to study a page or two whilst observing the oncoming boat out of the corner of your eye and altering course directly towards it. Scratch arse, adjust underwear, in fact, do anything except look as if you might have seen the boat coming the other way.

The next bit needs good co-ordination. At the last moment before collision, look up in alarm, raise your eyes to heaven, apply full lock and full throttle to produce a swift turn away from the oncoming boat with a dramatic roar and fountain of prop wash. When you've straightened up again, reduce revs and shout down the hatch "Sorry dear! Another bloody hireboat/cruiser! Just run it under the cold tap for a few minutes and I'll put a bandage on it later!"

Now, as you pass, you should get an apology. Accept this with good grace. "Don't worry, mate. It's not your fault they don't give you proper training." is always a good one.

I thought Chris Pinks explanation was quite good!

Two narrowboats can pass at canal speed with perhaps as little as 3 feet between them. It's really not necessary to have 20 feet of clear space between to pass safely and those that would rather be in the trees than have less than 20feet, well good luck to them I say...... :wub:

Tis true that when space is tight you're in danger of grounding, not from your suction, but from the suction of the oncoming boat, and its not just shallow canals but narrow canals, as the water has to go somewhere!

I have noticed (usually hire boats) heading for the bank at bridge holes and invariably running aground. When I approach a bridge hole with a boat in it I move across as far as I dare (usually the offside!) and keep the boat pointed towards the hole (inevitably slowing down too). This has on occasions produced some interesting reactions as they seem to think I'm still moving rapidly towards them!

There is considerable confusion about the correct visual signal to indicate that you have slowed or stopped to let the oncoming boat come through. If you are giving way to an oncoming boat, you should hold one hand in the air until the oncoming boat acknowledges by similarly raising one hand.

These hand signals were established on most canals and railways in the nineteenth century - long before the need for hand signals on roads. Two hands held in the air indicates that you cannot stop [danger] and the other boat must stop or take avoiding action!

Edited by NB Alnwick