Do other folk find the snobbery in canal boating exasperating??

Byeckerslike

Featured Posts

I don't know why people don't like me - I always wave my Daily Mail, smile benignly and shout "Ha! Englischer dummer Dummkopf - GutenTag" in a most cheery fashion . . .

Oh there are no foreigners on the canals. I tried to have a conversation the other week with someone who looked suspiciously like a foreigner, but he turned out to be a weatherbeaten chap from Newcastle. I asked him where he was from and couldn't figure out which country it was until someone told me he was from Newcastle. :rolleyes:

Brasso? This one needs wallpapering with Laura Ashley wallpaper before any polishing begins :rolleyes:

Why on earth would you want to be wallpapered? Especially with Laura Ashley. And an old brass? Bit harsh on yourself, Heather.

Jesus!

a bit of simple searching would let you know your place firmly in the pecking order, this was produced at great expense, so people know who to look up to, and who to look down on.

1. Owners of Shiny new narrowboats. (based in marinas)

2. Owners of Shiny new narrowboats. (moored on linear moorings)

3. Owners of Shiny new narrowboats. (Continuous cruisers)

4. Owners of older narrowboats. (based in marinas)

5. Owners of older narrowboats. (moored on linear moorings)

6. Owners of older narrowboats. (Continuous cruisers)

7. Floating gypsies.

8. Owners of GRP (based in marinas)

9. Owners of GRP (moored on linear moorings)

10. Owners of GRP (Continuous cruisers)

11. Hirers

12. Eugene Baston <---- Note upon leaving BW Eugene has now slipped 11 spaces to 23. those who blag trips off their mates.

13. Owners of Imitation working boats. (based in marinas)

14. Owners of Imitation working boats. (moored on linear moorings)

15. Owners of Imitation working boats. (Continuous cruisers)

16. Ownerships and similar

17. Canaltime

18. Challenger

19. Challenger Stealth Hire

20. Day boats

21. Canoes

22. BW Launches

23. Those who Blag trip off their mates.

24. Birmingham Mattresses

25. Blow up dinghy from Argos, during a heatwave in the school holidays.

26. River Lee sofabeds/mattresses etc.......

Owning a beard will promote you 5 places, having a beard on the boat will promote you 2, unless it's a goatee which will drop you 3.

Owning a beard will promote you 5 places, having a beard on the boat will promote you 2, unless it's a goatee which will drop you 3.

Hmm.. there are beards and there are beards, you know.

Density, length and colour should count for something. e.g. Grey "ZZ Top" job - plus 5, on a sliding scale finishing with ginger "bumfluff" - minus 5.

I think extra points for blokes with ponytails, too.

Paul

Density, length and colour should count for something. e.g. Grey "ZZ Top" job - plus 5, on a sliding scale finishing with ginger "bumfluff" - minus 5.

Paul

The submarine captains hair is so long, he has a waist length pigtail. I named him the submarine captain because he got so much more beardy, once we moved aboard.

Why on earth would you want to be wallpapered? Especially with Laura Ashley. And an old brass? Bit harsh on yourself, Heather.

Yes Carlt. I am capable of being self deprecating too. Personally I don't like Laura Ashley and have zero interest in different boat engines.

Anyway I'm off to Facebook to have fun with my friends who also have a dry sense of humour :rolleyes:

We've been hirers for the last few years and have never noticed any bad attitude towards us.

Far from it. Last year we teamed up with a pair of senior citizens who cruise for the warmer months and they were absolutely brilliant fun to be with.

This weekend we will be taking our own boat out for the very first time so we'll see if there's any change in the way we're treated.

May 30 2008

Spent the last 3 days out and about and as mentioned previously we watched to see if there was any change in peoples attitude now that we are no longer hirers.

We were totally blanked on 2 seperate occasions which has never happened before - and this was despite my very vocal attempt to get a response from them.

We didn't loose any sleep and it certainly didn't spoil the weekend.

The people responsible for these snubs were hirers from Sawley so I don't know how that affects the pecking order chart. :P

Paul

Looks like A Grade 1 haircut with goatee, deerstalker and camo jacket are the way forward then......nothing like confusing the stereotypes eh :P:P

Looks like A Grade 1 haircut with goatee, deerstalker and camo jacket are the way forward then......nothing like confusing the stereotypes eh :P:P

Sorry, mate, that look's so passe - my wife beat you to it ages ago :)

I was going to answer this but then I remembered that as the owner of an ex-working boat with boatman's cabin and vintage Lister I don't talk to people like you.

Actually I think you generalise too much. There are miserable b****rs on all types of boats. I think the problem sometimes is that in busy areas they're are just too many damn people to say hello to. If you're out on a country walk you probably say hello to everyone -walk down an urban high street and it would get ridiculous. So people on boats tend to just respond to those similar to themselves with whom they share a camaraderie.

I find almost everyone calls out to me though. Obviously I can't hear them over my unsilenced engine but despite their clenched fists I think they're being friendly.

Paul H

Paul - this is cheating I know but El Kemp has some BW stickers! Price to be announced once he`s had time to think abouit it.

Cheers

Phil

ps -there will always be snobs on the canal because there are always snobs everywhere.

The people responsible for these snubs were hirers from Sawley so I don't know how that affects the pecking order chart. :P

Give them a break! Perhaps they were new and didn't know they were supposed to be friendly :P They might be back home now, talking about that strange bloke who kept talking to himself :)

Give them a break! Perhaps they were new and didn't know they were supposed to be friendly :P They might be back home now, talking about that strange bloke who kept talking to himself :)

I'm married & got 2 young kids so I get plenty of practice talking to myself so I'm used to it really.

To be honest one of the couples didn't look as if they were steering their boat............more like aiming for the gaps!!!!!!! They looked more terrified than happy. :P

Sorry, mate, that look's so passe - my wife beat you to it ages ago :)

Ahhhh - forgot to say I wouldn't be changing anything though, just bringing my brand of cheerful nihilism to the canals... :P:P

Bu rugadh maithean :o

Denis,

Does it make you feel superior to make postings in a dead language?

I find what you uttered to be mean, insulting and downright nasty!

Don't forget that on the webby, all words can be freely translated!

Calm down girls :wub:

Not speaking a word of gaelic, the best I could come up with was "To be born to nobility"

Could anyone correct me, or explain why it's offensive?

If I'm a mile out, and the translation is unpostable, feel free to pm me.

Edited by carlt

Not speaking a word of gaelic, the best I could come up with was "To be born to nobility"

Could anyone correct me, or explain why it's offensive?

If I'm a mile out, and the translation is unpostable, feel free to pm me.

I came up with approximately the same thing from a quick google search so I am also puzzled as to offensiveness.