IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!!

Janet S

Featured Posts

After much deliberation and planning, and a bit of twisting of R.J.'s arm, I/we have now decided that this year's "mission" has been cancelled! (or at least postponed for a while....)

As we have the boat for three weeks this year, and are unlikely to be able to afford this luxury again, we've decided to have (wait for it.....) a relaxing holiday for a change! Two weeks of 12/13 hour days is one thing, but do we really want to do it every day for three weeks? At the moment, the answer is no, but we'll decide as and when we go. We may very well get fed up of pootling, and decide to go back to our original plan, but we'll play it by ear.

The plan now is to pick the boat up from Canal Cruising Co at Stone on the Trent and Mersey, then head down to visit relatives in Stoke Hammond, stay for a while, then go a bit further south before turning round and coming back. We'd quite like to spend the night at the lock and pub on the canal that we first saw several years ago - the one that inspired that "light bulb" moment when we first decided that we'd perhaps quite like a holiday on a narrowboat.....

With an average of only about 9 hours a day, we'll actually have time to sit and relax for a bit.

We're still on plan to pick Cheshire~Rose up for a day, to give her carers at the Home for the Terminally Confused a welcome break, and will be glad to meet any other CW members en-route. Give us a shout, and make yourselves known!

Janet

We're still on plan to pick Cheshire~Rose up for a day,

whoooooohooooo! B)B)

..........and now I even have my very own windlass fished out of a lock pound in the Atherstone flight courtesy of the loan of the HBF's magnet ........... :wub:

He refused to lend me that lovely silk number I spied poking out of an overstuffed drawer and also refused my offer to complete a load of washing for him........

methinks he either did not want me to see that the attractive satin and lace underwear he boasts of owning is just a sham or it is actually so attractive he was frightened I would steal it! :o

whoooooohooooo!

Don't get over-excited girl! You'll have to work for your keep! Glad to see you have your own windlass now....you may well need it. Do you also have a corkscrew? You may need that also.... if all goes well, and our timetables coincide, we're expecting you for a full day on board. I've sent you a PM.

...........and just how far South is that?

We're hoping to reach Cassiobury Park (hope I've spelt that right!) and possibly slightly further before we have to turn round and head back.

HBF? Where are you going to be on 3rd May?

Hiding up a side arm somewhere, ashamed of that dreadful underwear?????

Janet

Don't get over-excited girl! You'll have to work for your keep! Glad to see you have your own windlass now....you may well need it. Do you also have a corkscrew? You may need that also.... if all goes well, and our timetables coincide, we're expecting you for a full day on board. I've sent you a PM.

We're hoping to reach Cassiobury Park (hope I've spelt that right!) and possibly slightly further before we have to turn round and head back.

Hiding up a side arm somewhere, ashamed of that dreadful underwear?????

Janet

Whatever hours you decide to do, its gonna be great...three weeks away B)

whoooooohooooo! B):wub:

..........and now I even have my very own windlass fished out of a lock pound in the Atherstone flight courtesy of the loan of the HBF's magnet ........... :o

He refused to lend me that lovely silk number I spied poking out of an overstuffed drawer and also refused my offer to complete a load of washing for him........

methinks he either did not want me to see that the attractive satin and lace underwear he boasts of owning is just a sham or it is actually so attractive he was frightened I would steal it! :o

Did you manage to spot that little figure hugging number he likes to slink around the elsan disposal in?

Do you also have a corkscrew?

That is a stupid question!

Of course I do........ my tool kit for the the trip to France on my bike:

1 spanner the correct size (I thought B) for tightening my mirrors if the came loose ) ...... well a girl has to have somewhere to check her lippy......

1 emery board in case of broken nails

1 corkscrew

1 RAC membership card with European cover

The spanner turned out to be the wrong size

The emery board was well used

The corkscrew was almost worn out

The RAC card was not required!

No PM has arrived yet better go and check I am not full again :wub:

Whatever hours you decide to do, its gonna be great...three weeks away B)

Did you manage to spot that little figure hugging number he likes to slink around the elsan disposal in?

shhhhh....... there are not too many of us forum members who know about that!

Hopefully North of Huddersfield Narrow's with Leeds and beyond in my sights.

And, Rose, I did say that you could only see the more frilly section of my wardrobe if, and only if, you promised to show me how you got your chains so shiny!!

Ooooo!!! You Tart!! You promised that that was between us and us alone! B)

When the Rochdale Canal is actually open?

We were under the impression that it was still closed.

Even if it's open, we won't be going near it. That planned trip is jinxed!

Janet

Edited by Janet S

Yes the canal is now officially 'Open'.

It has been in a navigable condition for many weeks, BW have delayed the formal decision to give themselves time to deliberate whether or not to make their announcement.

Farmer Jones was convicted to his three months on the porridge and was released after only six weeks, he has been announcing to one and all that prison is a 'piece of cake', "much easier than working on the farm".

The sadness of the situation is summed up by Janet's understandable attitude, there are no doubt dozens of people who are thinking in a similar fashion.

Edited by John Orentas

I hope our unfortunate experiences don't put anyone off doing the Rochdale, as it's a fabulous canal, and well worth a visit. Although our plans have been thwarted several times, only twice has the funny farmer been responsible.

We'd still like to do it, just not this time. It's a shame, because given three weeks, we could have made a good trip round the SPR, even doing it from Stone. However, neither of us can face the prospect of planning and looking forward to it, only for something to go wrong again. We wouldn't be able to relax, just waiting for the inevitable...after five cancellations, we don't want to risk having our holiday spoiled.

We've done most of the SPR on previous trips. There's only a small section that we haven't actually boated, although we have walked it. Perhaps we'll get Wet Betsy on there in the summer, and have a combined camping/boating holiday?

Janet

Yes the canal is now officially 'Open'.

It has been in a navigable condition for many weeks, BW have delayed the formal decision to give themselves time to deliberate whether or not to make their announcement.

Farmer Jones was convicted to his three months on the porridge and was released after only six weeks, he has been announcing to one and all that prison is a 'piece of cake', "much easier than working on the farm".

The sadness of the situation is summed up by Janet's understandable attitude, there are no doubt dozens of people who are thinking in a similar fashion.

Welcome back - the voice of reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Wooo hoooo! On the final countdown now....

Pick up the boat on Saturday, then off for three weeks.

What's the betting we can improve on last year, and have 21 days of rain?

Janet

PS. Hope the sun comes out in time for Cheshire~Rose's birthday on Monday, when she'll be bringing her windlass to visit us, and learning the meaning of hard work!

Janet

PS. Hope the sun comes out in time for Cheshire~Rose's birthday on Monday, when she'll be bringing her windlass to visit us, and learning the meaning of hard work!

Have a wonderful wonderful time!!!!!

Janet

Any idea of when you might be around the Cassiobury Park area ??

Chris

Any idea of when you might be around the Cassiobury Park area ??

I'm not sure yet. It will all depend on if we decide to push ourselves or not. We're currently working on about eight hours a day, but don't know if we'll be able to stick to that. We're used to 12 or 13!!!

We'll keep the forum updated by text every evening, particularly on Sunday, so Cheshire~Rose knows where to find us on Monday!

If we're likely to be passing you, please let me know, and where you are so that we can remember say hello!

Janet x

I'm not sure yet. It will all depend on if we decide to push ourselves or not. We're currently working on about eight hours a day, but don't know if we'll be able to stick to that. We're used to 12 or 13!!!

We'll keep the forum updated by text every evening, particularly on Sunday, so Cheshire~Rose knows where to find us on Monday!

If we're likely to be passing you, please let me know, and where you are so that we can remember say hello!

Janet x

Ok Janet, maybe a meet for a mini banter and BEER !! Apsley/Winkwell/Cassio ??

Chris