IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!!

Janet S

Featured Posts

Hi Janet,

Another one here for the Cow Roast, (moored dead opposite Bullfrog, in fact).

Things have conspired to keep us away from the boat for a while, but we are finally trying to make a start on getting her sorted again.

Would love to meet you, if the opportunity permits.

I'm sure you are well versed in these things, but some of the lock flights on the southern GU will be starting to get quite busy by now. Queueing might mean some take longer than you think.

On the other hand progress south of Tring summit can be quite rapid, as an average of a lock every half mile tends to mean a lot of people don't explore further south than that.

Anyway, have a good one!

Alan

I think it is wonderful that you are taking the trouble to allow one of the older members of society to enjoy a day lock wheeling.

Ah bless her. She doesn't get out much, so it was the least I could do..... :)

Janet

Janet

I think it is wonderful that you are taking the trouble to allow one of the older members of society to enjoy a day lock wheeling. :wub:

I suspect, if somebody did a poll, you would find I am far from being "one of the older members" of THIS society......... I mean has anybody actually caught up with Moley yet?

Ah bless her. She doesn't get out much, so it was the least I could do..... :lol:

Janet

Wotchit girl......... I get forgetful and you may find that I forget my windlass, did you actually want any help on Monday? :)

Wotchit girl......... I get forgetful and you may find that I forget my windlass, did you actually want any help on Monday? :)

Is it nice and shiney yet?

Don't forget to pop into The Cowroast Inn for a pint and bowl of prawn crackers as you go by!

I suspect, if somebody did a poll, you would find I am far from being "one of the older members" of THIS society......... I mean has anybody actually caught up with Moley yet?

Catch up with him, I am way out in front. :)

Does anyone happen to know is Wolverhampton still exists?

I have been trying to work out if I can get a train to meet Janet on Monday (I can) but when I try to google for a map of the location of Wolverhampton railway station to find its proximity to the canal I get a blank page..........

are there any boats in that area now? can you please pop your head out the hatch and check the town is still there please?

Does anyone happen to know the proximity of the station to Wolverhampton top lock? Is it walkable?

edited to say I have now managed to find a map that loads and it looks to me as though the station is VERY close to the locks!

this part of the journey looks reasonably do-able........... getting home may yet be an issue especially as there is no way of knowing exactly where we will end up...........

whoohoo........ an adventure!

Edited by cheshire~rose

I am beginning to think there is a cunning ploy working here....... :rolleyes:

First of all I get an invitation for a lovely gentle days cruising from Tixall through Fradley and towards Hopwas .....a couple of locks along the route and lots of wonderful countryside to enjoy ............

Then the plan changes and I am told to meet up for a nice cruise through the BCN starting at the top of the Wolverhampton 21 ...........

Now it seems I will start the day assisting with the passage of "PSSCB" through 21 locks........ I am also told that if I do not get there in time there will be no breakfast!

A good way to test out the windlass!

It looks as though I should be able to get there and back via the trains fairly easily though so that's great

Now it seems I will start the day assisting with the passage of "PSSCB" through 21 locks........ I am also told that if I do not get there in time there will be no breakfast!

We may throw the old girl a crumb or two to sustain her.....

Janet

I am beginning to think there is a cunning ploy working here....... :rolleyes:

First of all I get an invitation for a lovely gentle days cruising from Tixall through Fradley and towards Hopwas .....a couple of locks along the route and lots of wonderful countryside to enjoy ............

Then the plan changes and I am told to meet up for a nice cruise through the BCN starting at the top of the Wolverhampton 21 ...........

A good way to test out the windlass!

It looks as though I should be able to get there and back via the trains fairly easily though so that's great

I rather like the Wolverhampton 21. The bottom end is quite countrified, and there's the racecourse, trains to watch, a little shop nect to one of the more urban locks, and a rather attractive area at the top lock.

IIRC, they need an anti-vandal key, so you'd better make sure they have one on board.

Edited by adam1uk

tee hee........

plan shaping up nicely........ maybe an opportunity for an overnighter including a micro banter.............

forum members queueing up to see my shiny windlass that is what it is :rolleyes:

now where is the bus timetable?

Well, they're away. The plan was to collect the boat from Stone and pootle down to Tixall Wide on Saturday night, then get down the S&W to Aldersley Junction on Sunday night, meet Cheshire~Rose first thing Monday morning, who would then spend her birthday working them up the Wolverhampton 21, then heading for Gas Street.

Anyway, the moles were also out chugabout for the weekend with no particular place to go, when it occurred to me that although it would mean quite a hard day returning on Monday, we could get up to Aldersley too.

Then I thought that it might be nicer to meet at Compton, I was sure Janet wouldn't mind the extra couple of miles, it would save us 40 minutes or so on the return, and the moorings are quite good.

Then I got in touch with Rose to ask if she might be able to join us for the evening, and I thought it might be possible to sleep 5 on our 4-berth boat. Rose had an even better idea and managed to find an ST170DWL with another boat.

So, an impromptu micro-banter was duly arranged. It turns out that the decent pub doesn't serve food, so Mrs. Mole threw together a large lasagne with garlic bread and salad, and Vickymole had already knocked up a birthday cake (sorry Bones, with cream and icing and candles), and dinner was partaken of on the towpath, together with 1 litre and 4 bottles of red wine, on top of any beers which had already been consumed (well, there were 6 of us). Even so, I would appreciate confirmation that I remained awake for the duration, until around 1am.

As we had something like an 11 hour return run on the Monday, we were away by 7.30am, my head wasn't entirely together but somehow I managed to avoid cycling into the canal while lock-wheeling.

Texts to relay:

Cheshire~Rose, Monday 1.20pm:

Through locks in 3 hours inc. delay for tree removal in one lock. Sun shining now so we can dry out. Chef in galley, awesome brunch type smells are being created.

Monday 6.40pm:

Made it! Tied up by NIA. Awesome cruise!

Janet, Monday, 7.25pm:

Safely moored just outside Gas Street Basin. Good day. Excellent team effort up Wolverhampton flight. Weather lovely all afternoon. Think Jan had a good birthday! Thanks for good evening, Janet.

Tuesday, 1pm:

Currently on Stratford on Avon Canal heading towards Lapworth. Weather absolutely glorious! Loving it!

Tuesday, 7.10pm:

On Grand Union now heading for Warwick. Best day ever!

Tuesday 9.20pm:

Moored at top of Hatton flight with nice glass of Guinness before dinner. Brilliant day. Bit sunburnt as usual!

Fantastic!!!!!! It sounds really good fun.

Victoria Mole makes a fabulous cake too! :P

Was wonderful fun!

I have some photos I will try and post a bit later......

I also have videos........ :)

I asked Janet if it was ok to post the video I have and her parting shot was

"you do whatever you like with it.........I will get my revenge when I get back..............." :P

I seem to have wandered off with the security key to the lock paddles in my pocket. Sadly Janet contacted me too late to tell me where they were last night for me to get it back to them. They have a second one but I have to try and catch them on the way back to return it. If anyone has any plans to meet up with them on their travels please let me know so I can post the key to you to hand over. Her phone is off most of the time so communication is a bit limited.

I need to get it back to them before someone accuses me of taking it as a trophy!

Janet just phoned, they didn't particularly enjoy Hatton, no-one to lock share with and every one set against them, but are through Warwick and Leamington and are now at Bascote Bridge (27) on the GU, Guinness in hand and waiting for the BBQ.

There's no pleasing some folks, if anything she said it was too hot and they wouldn't have minded a drop of rain.

Today, 3pm:

"Currently approaching Braunston. Bloody brilliant!"

I haven't worked out their distances, or how hard they are pushing, but I now make them a couple of miles below Buckby.

10pm:

"Moored near Brockhall Road bridge 21. Another really good day. I could get to like this boating lark!"