IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!!

Janet S

Featured Posts

Today, 3pm:

"Currently approaching Braunston. Bloody brilliant!"

I haven't worked out their distances, or how hard they are pushing, but I now make them a couple of miles below Buckby.

10pm:

"Moored near Brockhall Road bridge 21. Another really good day. I could get to like this boating lark!"

Bloomin' heck!

They'll be down my way in around 2 days, if they keep up this pace!

Not sure who is around the Tring, Berkhamsted, Hemel area over the weekend, but an impromptu meet up of a few forum members could be a distinct possibility.

Keep us informed of progress, Ade!

Today, 3pm:

"Currently approaching Braunston. Bloody brilliant!"

I haven't worked out their distances, or how hard they are pushing, but I now make them a couple of miles below Buckby.

10pm:

"Moored near Brockhall Road bridge 21. Another really good day. I could get to like this boating lark!"

Maybe someone should warn them that the old boaters would never moor near Brockhall Spinney because it's haunted

Fridaaay, 8.45pm:

"Moored out in the country between bridges 63 and 64. Spag bol almost ready. Stoke Hammond tomorrow late afternoon after shopping for supplies for the next two weeks. Another very good day. Great fun and hilarity with a couple who had only just collected their very first boat and just didn't have a clue. The wife appeared to believe that locks opened magically on their own!"

Fridaaay, 8.45pm:

"Moored out in the country between bridges 63 and 64. Spag bol almost ready. Stoke Hammond tomorrow late afternoon after shopping for supplies for the next two weeks. Another very good day. Great fun and hilarity with a couple who had only just collected their very first boat and just didn't have a clue. The wife appeared to believe that locks opened magically on their own!"

Do we have a Saturday update, please Ade ?

They must surely not be too far from the Hertfordshire borders by now, I'm thinking.....

Alan

I can now confirm a positive sighting at Stoke Hammond this morning. They had turned round at Cowroast over the weekend and are now heading Northwards again.

Apparently they had a really good evening in the Dolphin at Stoke Hammond last night; Janet insists that their late start this morning had absolutely no connection with the quantity of beer consumed there.

Tuesday, 10.30pm:

"Moored between bridges 63 & 64 on way to Stoke Bruerne tomorrow morning. Pump out on the way. Absolutely brilliant day. Met Keeping Up this morning. He suggested Ashby Canal on way home, so that's the current plan. It might change ..... suggestions welcome! Janet."

They are definitely slowing down! When I saw them in the morning they said they planned to get to the bottom of Stoke Bruerne (about an hour and a half further on) by teatime and carry on up the flight if the weather stayed good.

As well as the Ashby, if they have even more time to spare, I meant to suggest to them that they could turn right at Fradley and go down to Burton on Trent as a further detour (but I forgot).

I can now confirm a positive sighting at Stoke Hammond this morning. They had turned round at Cowroast over the weekend and are now heading Northwards again.

Well probably passed within 50 yards of us then !

We'd have come out to say "hello" had we known they were there.....

Another time, maybe!

Well probably passed within 50 yards of us then !

We'd have come out to say "hello" had we known they were there.....

Another time, maybe!

They do not like stopping....... when I was aboard we passed the home of a friend of mine. I did not realise exactly where we were until we were right by his house. I rung him and he flew out of his house with the dog running by his side but it was only as we approached the next bridge hole were we able to slow down a tiny bit to allow him to jump on board to travel with us to the next bridge hole. He then jumped off and headed back as he had left his home wide open!

I think you would need to get some sort of "stinger device" for the canal in order to slow them down to say hello! Either that or ensure you are at a lock waiting for them.

Wednesday, 9pm:

"Moored just below Buckby flight. Just had barbecue and nice bottle of wine. Game of backgammon now, amd possibly another bottle of wine. One of the best days, I could really get to enjoy these boating holidays! Threatening clouds overhead. Maybe rain tomorrow? If so, it may be welcome after all this heat! Loving it. Three weeks won't be long enough. Janet".

Wednesday, 11pm:

"Second bottle finished. Had to be done. Something about elf & safety? Not safe to leave a bottle half empty ... Janet."

Thursday, 2.50pm:

"Just left Braunston, on Oxford Canal hading towards Rugby. It's raining."

Then around 5.15 I got a phone call from Janet, who sounded as if she was absolutely seething. I gather they had had something of a bankside disagreement with a Willow Wren crew and she was asking me to google their phone number so she could report this crew. I was out and unable to comply, so I texted Rose, who was unable to help but suggested Allan, who did.

Janet, 9.25pm:

"Finally calmed down after altercation with that stupid woman. We really did nearly come to blows! She'd emptied the lock and opened the gates ready to leave. For some strange reason she then decided to go back and open the top gate paddles. Robert managed to stop her opening the second one, and dropped the paddle again. She insisted that she knew what she was doing even when we politely explained that she was draining the pound. She got really angry and accused us of interfering, but we had no choice. I've called the hire company to make them aware. I'll tell you the rest when we get back. You wouldn't believe the idiots we've met on this trip!"

Friday 8pm:

"Moored next to bridge 50 on the Coventry Canal after coming down Atherstone flight. Chucked it down all morning but dry all afternoon. Good day"

Saturday, 10pm:

"Moored on Birmigham & Fazeley Canal near Rocky Lane Bridge. Another good day, but took longer than expected to find good moorings. Just had dinner. Wine and backgammon now."

It looks like the Fridaaay delivery failed, Post Script received 10.10pm:

"Where's my beeeer? I'm reduced to drinking Chardonnay!"

Sunday, 10.30pm:

"Moored at Ocker Hill on Walsall Canal. Curly Wyrley tomorrow. Yet another good day. Pity the holiday's nearly over."

10.35pm:

"That pillock Robert has locked me out of the boat and won't let me back in!"

10.37pm:

"Mutiny!"

Monday, 9.25am:

"Setting off for Curly Wyrley shortly. Hope to moor tonight at top of Wolverhampton 21. Lovely weather again."

4.40pm:

"I think every bridge hole on this canal is booby-trapped. Ford Capris, sofas, chairs, televisions. You name it, we've probably hit it!"

Tuesday, 9.55pm:

"Moored up just south of Acton Trussel after an absolutely perfect day. Did the 21 locks in just over 3hrs, with every one set against us. Weather was fabulous, much better than doing it in the rain like last time. Janet".

I am pleased to report I have met up with them at Kings Bromley this evening and we all had a BBQ. They look as though they have been to the Bahamas with the colour of their tan and they are both so happy and relaxed and full of wonderful stories of the things they have seen, the places they have been and the people they have met..

I cannot wait to hear the trip log. :D

Janet, Wednesday 11.25pm:

"Jan joined us for a barbecue on bank tonight. Bit overcooked, but we were busy chatting and drinking. Good company, and nice to meet up again. Gave her a Lock Labourer's badge. She earned it! I've been collecting wood and the barbecue is now a roaring fire. Wish you could all be here, Janet."

She then sent me a photo of their inferno of a bbq, which I complimented.

11.45pm:

"Yes, this is what you call a fire. It's pitch black here in the woods, but the fire is keeping us warm and we've just opened another bottle of wine so it may be a late start tomorrow, if Robert doesn't hit me over the head with a stuffed Pudding instead! Good day. Good company. Where's the CWF repaint squad when you need them?"

I don't begin to understand the stuffed pudding reference, and neglected to mention that they were looking for help to repaint and 'do a Holly'.

00.01am:

"Wibble wobble, wibble wobble, jelly on a plate .... what's the next verse?"

And that lost me completely ;)

Janet, Thursday, 09.24:

"My head hurts"

Mole, 09.25:

"Serves you right!"

Janet, 09.26:

"Sympathy. I need sympathy and TLC, and several painkillers. It's going to be a late start today".

Mole, 09.27:

"I wasn't there, I'm jealous, if you want sympathy look somewhere else!"

Janet, 09.28:

"At the moment I can't look anywhere for anything. Even my eyeballs hurt! Why do birds make so much noise?"

Janet, 9pm:

"Moored near bridge 68 on T&M. Had very late start and headed down to Fradley Junction for an ice cream and turn round. Back to base tomorrow. Going to moor just one lock away so we have something to look forward to on Saturday morning."

Friday 16:30

Janet & RJ are safe and well an sitting outside the the Star Inn by the lock in Stone. Both with a glass in hand.

We had stopped for lunch at the Saracen's Head at Weston on Trent when Janet came past. She left a note on our boat but I missed it. They were waiting at the locks in Stone hoping to see us. :)

We only managed a quick chat as we had planned to stop at Barlaston so not even time for a pint with them. ;)