Love it!!

goldtone

Featured Posts

There is nothing I enjoy more than coming home from wearing the 'uniform' (well,smart office clobber) and dressing down into my civvies and chilling to the sound of ducks, swans and the like (and our current horse neighbour).

No cars, no houses, hardly any people, the odd boat toddling past. It's just peachy and I totally agree with your sentiments goldtone.

I can totally forget the 'real world' for a while and just enjoy being nowhere in particular.

I was in such a hurry with a project the other week I went into town to drop some designs off wearing my boat clothes - the receptionist though I was a courier and directed me to the postroom. :lol:

It has been lovely here tonight, the river looked like a big wobbly mirror.

Four years now and not one regret. Had dinner out on the back deck yesterday, sitting under the parasol, idly chucking bits of dry bread and watching the perch and rudd having a feeding frenzy.

Our moorhen neighbours, Mikey and Maria, had chicks a few weeks ago and the two remaining ones are now big enough to come over to visit on their own. All our neighbours have nicknames by the way, Elvis & Priscilla the pair of kingfishers, our very loud female duck Vera (Duckworth) and her partner Nelson (only one eye). We had a very sad incident when a new female duck to the area, Mrs Newby, brought her two little chicks to visit a couple of weeks ago. While I was getting the camera off the table, there was a loud clonk and a splash followed by loads of quacking. A pike had taken one of the chicks from right under our hatch. We were cheered up a little later by our resident swans, the Thicknecks, bringing a new brood of four cygnets along. They still had four today, big enough now to survive. No one messes with the Thicknecks!!

We have our new wind generator up and running and we were like a couple of kids grinning with excitement every time it started to gently whine in the recent wind. Every hour or so there would be an excited cry 'wow its giving 1.5 amps' then ' brilliant that was 2 amps' then 30 minutes later 'a new record, we just got 3 amps'

It rained today and we had the windows and doors open just listening to the rain gently splashing in the river, then had to usher out a House Martin who decided to visit us through the side hatch.

Ah the simple joys of life afloat!

Roger

Four years now and not one regret. Had dinner out on the back deck yesterday, sitting under the parasol, idly chucking bits of dry bread and watching the perch and rudd having a feeding frenzy.

Our moorhen neighbours, Mikey and Maria, had chicks a few weeks ago and the two remaining ones are now big enough to come over to visit on their own. All our neighbours have nicknames by the way, Elvis & Priscilla the pair of kingfishers, our very loud female duck Vera (Duckworth) and her partner Nelson (only one eye). We had a very sad incident when a new female duck to the area, Mrs Newby, brought her two little chicks to visit a couple of weeks ago. While I was getting the camera off the table, there was a loud clonk and a splash followed by loads of quacking. A pike had taken one of the chicks from right under our hatch. We were cheered up a little later by our resident swans, the Thicknecks, bringing a new brood of four cygnets along. They still had four today, big enough now to survive. No one messes with the Thicknecks!!

We have our new wind generator up and running and we were like a couple of kids grinning with excitement every time it started to gently whine in the recent wind. Every hour or so there would be an excited cry 'wow its giving 1.5 amps' then ' brilliant that was 2 amps' then 30 minutes later 'a new record, we just got 3 amps'

It rained today and we had the windows and doors open just listening to the rain gently splashing in the river, then had to usher out a House Martin who decided to visit us through the side hatch.

Ah the simple joys of life afloat!

Roger

What a fantastic summary of some of the simple pleasure of life aboard. Love it and I feel like I'm there now! Thanks for that. :lol:

We have our new wind generator up and running and we were like a couple of kids grinning with excitement every time it started to gently whine in the recent wind. Every hour or so there would be an excited cry 'wow its giving 1.5 amps' then ' brilliant that was 2 amps' then 30 minutes later 'a new record, we just got 3 amps

Wait 'til winter when its blowing a hoolie - you'll be in bed swearing at it in the wee small hours, threatening to go out and chop it down with an axe.... :lol:

What a wonderful tread, wish I was there!

I have been in or on the water most of my life but has mostly been big open water.

This sure makes me want to come on over and live the good life, who know it may happen.

Thanks for a wonderful read; I look forward to more post.

Edited by Burr

Life afloat? It's horrible cold hard work. We have to sit around a candle in the winter to keep warm. We can't stand up fully as the ceiling's only 4ft above the floor. There's only one room and we have to try and sleep on the floor next to the sink which is really just a bucket. We have to wash our clothes in the canal and in fact most of the time we wash our dishes in there as we don't have running water. We cook over a candle and we only have one set of rags to wear each day. In the winter it's so cold our tongues get frozen to our tin mugs when we try to drink a cup of canal water. We have to tie a rope around our necks and swim along the canal in order to move the boat to the next mooring, where we may well be attacked by all the robbers and murderers who live on the towpath near Bath. As for going to the toilet, usually we have to just hang our frozen bums over the edge of the boat and go straight into the canal as we don't have any facilities on board.

Edited by tomandsophie

. As for going to the toilet, usually we have to just hang our frozen bums over the edge of the boat and go straight into the canal as we don't have any facilities on board.

... pike snot... heron spit... mallard earwax... coot toenail clippings... so let's not rinse our clothes in it too, eh?

Sorry, wrong thread.

Life afloat? It's horrible cold hard work. We have to sit around a candle in the winter to keep warm. We can't stand up fully as the ceiling's only 4ft above the floor. There's only one room and we have to try and sleep on the floor next to the sink which is really just a bucket. We have to wash our clothes in the canal and in fact most of the time we wash our dishes in there as we don't have running water. We cook over a candle and we only have one set of rags to wear each day. In the winter it's so cold our tongues get frozen to our tin mugs when we try to drink a cup of canal water. We have to tie a rope around our necks and swim along the canal in order to move the boat to the next mooring, where we may well be attacked by all the robbers and murderers who live on the towpath near Bath. As for going to the toilet, usually we have to just hang our frozen bums over the edge of the boat and go straight into the canal as we don't have any facilities on board.

You are lucky to have a boat with only 4ft headroom, our neighbours are so poor their boat is made of old shoe boxes tied together with string. They even kept the tissue paper to use to wrap round themselves at night. Candle to keep warm? Luxury!! These people are so poor that in the winter, Dad chews on a chilli pepper while Mum and the kids huddle round his tongue to keep warm. You rich folks don't know the 'alf of it!!

Roger

Oh my God, I better rethink living on a boat.

Sounds so bad.

I'm so poor I can't pay attention

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) ;)

Where do you keep your boat?

Edited by Burr

I guess you have not been on one of my boats !!

I'm actually moving into a Steve Hudson 62' today. (until its sold of course!)

Clare, my Life Sharer of the last 10 years has gone off to seek her destiny and it is silly being at home with just me and the dog in a 5 bedroom house.

Plenty of room and the dog can have its own (back) cabin.

Still holding interviews for replacement Life Sharer in the Samuel Barlow 6 pm to 7.30 pm but might be later now I am tied up outside.

You are lucky to have a boat with only 4ft headroom, our neighbours are so poor their boat is made of old shoe boxes tied together with string. They even kept the tissue paper to use to wrap round themselves at night. Candle to keep warm? Luxury!! These people are so poor that in the winter, Dad chews on a chilli pepper while Mum and the kids huddle round his tongue to keep warm. You rich folks don't know the 'alf of it!!

Roger

Ah yes, good old Monty. :lol:

It is dreams of such pecuniary hardship that drives us to abandon life on Terra Firma, and seek a more liquid subsistence next year . . . . . .

Please keep up the good work . . . the mental salivations are motivational!

Even in the rain its lovely!! I was walking back to the car with the kids last night. Rain hitting the water, making bubbles and just a really lovely pastoral hue to the evening. Walk in the rain for 5 minutes, get wet? What does it matter, we got dry again easier enough.

And so far I've had flat batteries, engine trouble, leaking windows, fallen in the cut, lost stuff into the cut, been caught in the rain and snow and the inside of my boat needs a good overhaul, So i don't know what else can go wrong!

Tell me, will the magic wear off after a while, or will it always be so enchanting?

Even in the rain its lovely!! I was walking back to the car with the kids last night. Rain hitting the water, making bubbles and just a really lovely pastoral hue to the evening. Walk in the rain for 5 minutes, get wet? What does it matter, we got dry again easier enough.

And so far I've had flat batteries, engine trouble, leaking windows, fallen in the cut, lost stuff into the cut, been caught in the rain and snow and the inside of my boat needs a good overhaul, So i don't know what else can go wrong!

Tell me, will the magic wear off after a while, or will it always be so enchanting?

I hope the magic doesn't wear off.

I'm sat having my supper watching a heron on the roof of the boat next to me. Yesterday I saw it dive and bring one out.

The mutt had his nose pecked by a swan and is now involved in a slow search for retribution and he and the swan have a daily ritual which has the boat yard in stitches.

I think I am rediscovering a connectedness with the world around me that I haven't felt since I bought a smallholding in the mid 80's.

Love it!!

cheers

Phil

;);):lol:

Didnt see this until today you cheeky old scallywag and that carlt too, just as cheeky :o:lol:

Well anyway we have been at it now for over a month!! if you know what I mean lads,and we are still lovin it,just got to knowle its delightful the side hatch is still open

and its gorgeous out here, on our way to Hopwas to travel the canal we have walked so often,

so dont come a knockin when the boats a rockin :lol::lol::)