Revamping button fenders

Featured Posts

I took off the stern fenders yesterday as they were rather tired, faded and green.

Ive scrubbed em down to get the green off but am unsure as what to use to tart em up a bit. I used hammerite (coz thats what i found in the shed) black, and so far the first one looks quite good, however, its hanging up and will see what its like when its dry.

I then got to talking with Ian along the mooring and he suggested......boot polish.....an i fink......maybe that is a bloody good idea.

What does the panel think?

Hi,

I have just re-treated mine and found the easiest way was to purchase a large tub from Wickes, plus some (25litres) Creoste subsitute (also fro Wickes) and soak the fenders for about a week. Leave to drain/dry for several days and re-fit. Looks great and if some 'happy hero' pinches them......

Front fenders - get a suitable lenght of tyre, turn it inside out and bolt the ends together and refit.

Hope that helps.

ATV

Albi.

Not really on-topic, I know, but I was pleased to see that one of the travelling fender people (on a big working boat called Warwick) was prepared to recover my ageing and battered fenders rather than replacing the whole thing. Savings all round! He was at Braunston last week. :D

I use fence stain, you get a large amount for about £10, its water soluable, I take them all off front and back, and paint them, lasts over a yearDSCF1081-1.jpg

Fence stain is a good suggestion but check for any "Harmful to waterlife" signs as some of them are a bit nasty to fish.

I used linseed but I did have a lifetime's supply, until Usk was torched.

Fence stain does sound a good idea, will have a look at what they have in wicks later

I normally soak mine in a solution of Stockholm Tar then leave to drip over the container for a week or 2

Seems to last for ages and stops rope rot. This was the methold an old fender maker I knew used

Chris

I normally soak mine in a solution of Stockholm Tar then leave to drip over the container for a week or 2

Seems to last for ages and stops rope rot. This was the methold an old fender maker I knew used

Chris

I see that also comes in a spray. and has antifungal properties, Will give it a look, cheers chris

I normally soak mine in a solution of Stockholm Tar

My all time favorite smell - we used to paint the horses hooves with it. I have a ball of Stockholm Tar impregnated string from the garden centre which I have in the kitchen 'useful' drawer which I sniff periodically.

I took off the stern fenders yesterday as they were rather tired, faded and green.

Ive scrubbed em down to get the green off but am unsure as what to use to tart em up a bit. I used hammerite (coz thats what i found in the shed) black, and so far the first one looks quite good, however, its hanging up and will see what its like when its dry.

I then got to talking with Ian along the mooring and he suggested......boot polish.....an i fink......maybe that is a bloody good idea.

We used to take fenders home and put them in the dish washer !!!!!!

They came out great

Nige

Years ago they would be soaked in creosote - creosote (a by product of coal gasification) has been withdrawn from the retail market because the manufacturers and importers couldn't provide the required COSSH data for domestic use but it is still available to businesses and relatively safe for humans to use - for example, I believe it is an ingredient of Rinstead Pastilles! It preserves rope and does kill all vegetation, mould and fungal growth but if it drips into the water it can be harmful to the more delicate forms of aquatic life.

I normally soak mine in a solution of Stockholm Tar.

Chris,

That sounds like a good idea - do you buy it from equestrian suppliers or do you know of a cheaper (marine grade) source. I understand that the aroma helps to ward of coughs and colds!

Hi,

I have just re-treated mine and found the easiest way was to purchase a large tub from Wickes, plus some (25litres) Creoste subsitute (also fro Wickes) and soak the fenders for about a week. Leave to drain/dry for several days and re-fit. Looks great and if some 'happy hero' pinches them......

Front fenders - get a suitable lenght of tyre, turn it inside out and bolt the ends together and refit.

Hope that helps.

ATV

Albi.

I'll do the creosote trick also. I was really impressed with this substitute creosote, I hade some timber to protect and found some locally, (didn't know it existed) anyway treated this wood project with it, then a few days later had to trim some timber off, when did the penetration of this sub stuff was 2 to 3 mm it really does soak in, so ideal for fenders. I must say that this stuff ponged as much as the original creosote, but i'm assuming it's now a safer product than the original.

That sounds like a good idea - do you buy it from equestrian suppliers or do you know of a cheaper (marine grade) source. I understand that the aroma helps to ward of coughs and colds!

Graham

The last lot I got was quite expensive from a chandlers in Livrpool, however we do need to do the fenders on Baldock so if you can find a cheap source please let me know. (maybe a bulk buy and we can split it ??)

I'll pm you my mobile numberif you do not have it

Chris

Graham

The last lot I got was quite expensive from a chandlers in Livrpool, however we do need to do the fenders on Baldock so if you can find a cheap source please let me know. (maybe a bulk buy and we can split it ??)

I'll pm you my mobile numberif you do not have it

Chris

Have you tried Liver Oil & Grease Co.?