Coventry Basin

Chris J W

Featured Posts

Suppose the question is there in the title - what's the Coventry Basin like?

Would quite like to visit the cathedral, but can't decide if to go down from Hawkesbury Junction or go up and get the bus into the city.

So, any advice would be appreciated.

Ta!

Would quite like to visit the cathedral, but can't decide if to go down from Hawkesbury Junction or go up and get the bus into the city.

Ta!

we live 1 mile down the north oxford from Hawkesbury.

We have took the boat half way into coventry and I must say, its not the nicest place to go ! Sutton stop on the other hand is lovely , and the food and Ale in the Greyhound pub there , is worth sampling :huh:

I think its about 4 or 5 miles into the basin from sutton stop - and to be honest - I'd bus it .

Others may be able to say if the basin itself is a nice place to be - I've only visited on foot.

Rich

<snip>

I think its about 4 or 5 miles into the basin from sutton stop - and to be honest - I'd bus it .

Others may be able to say if the basin itself is a nice place to be - I've only visited on foot.

Rich

Ta!

Definitely worth the effort. The basin itself is an excellent mooring, five minutes walk from the city centre and old/new cathedral area and several real ale pubs.

Don't miss the motor museum, it's one of the best in the country. Exhibits include both of the 'Thrust' land speed record cars, as well as many reminders of Coventry's once great transport manufacturing industry. Cycles and motorcycles to double decker buses and mush else in between.

And it's free to enter..... :huh:

clicky

Ta!

We stayed in the Basin in Coventry last year, it is only a few minutes from the city centre. We did 't have any problems at all.

Ta!

Chris, you do seem to have a problem with going down arms!

The stretch into Coventry isn't the prettiest but is by no means the worst on the system - it is there to be done though. The basin is safe and as others have said there is much to do in the nearby city centre. Just do it otherwise you'll end up going everywhere by bus!

Tim

Why would you go by bus if there's a canal alternative?

As others have said, the stretch into Coventry isn't very special, but the basin is lovely and it's only a short walk into the city centre (which also isn't very special, apart from the Cathedral). There's a ranger at the basin who'll probably pop out and give you an information pack.

I guess being born and raised in Coventry and in and out of town all my life, it didn't seem worth the trip on the canal - it was dirty and full of rubbish and went through some very dodgy areas (but what you dont know and all that...!) so we turned round and went back home.

The canal basin looks ok these days - but I wouldn't like to comment on the night time security. There maybe some provided ???? I dont know

Coventry town center isnt where you want to be in the middle of the night - but I guess a lot of city centers are like that.

One thing I do wonder about ... originaly - 'Grand Union Canal' was painted in big letters on the basin buildings - when they revamped it, the painted over it and put Coventry Canal Basin there instead. Doesn't do much for preserving history does it ???

Chris, you do seem to have a problem with going down arms!

I just really don't like built up areas! :huh:

(But was pleasantly surprise by the Aylesbury Basin)

Edited by Chris J W

We went in a couple of years ago, they were still cleaning up and there were some very bad stretches with lots of rubbish, suspect this has either been removed now, or replaced!

The basin itself was very secure and worth a detour for, but we did not stay overnight, although others did without problems.

Why would you go by bus if there's a canal alternative?

As others have said, the stretch into Coventry isn't very special, but the basin is lovely and it's only a short walk into the city centre (which also isn't very special, apart from the Cathedral). There's a ranger at the basin who'll probably pop out and give you an information pack.

Agree with Adam, go for it Chris.

You can just pop down for the day if you don't want to stay over night.

Yes Coventry Basin is very nicely done, though was a bit bleak and deserted when we visited last summer. The journey into Coventry by canal on the other hand I wouldn't have missed. It is built up and it is a bit scungy and it is a bit abandoned looking, (very impressive semi derelict chemical works) but it made a nice change from the glitzified scrubbed-to-within-an-inch-of-their-lives bits. If you're there, how can you not have a look?

A few pics and description here

And yes, the Cathedral is a must. Made this hardened old atheist cry.

Edited by WarriorWoman

I just really don't like built up areas! :)

(But was pleasantly surprise by the Aylesbury Basin)

Aaarrr..... Be you a country lad (looks for smiley with straw hanging out of mouth and driving a tracc'er)

Stop being a wimp Chris - there's beer at the end :huh:

Edited to say - you'll be joining Bones soon... she officially a wimp

Edited by I want a 'proper job'

Crikey I've done much worse than the Coventry arm in my 30 years on the cut.

I now moor on it, half way down at Swan Lane Wharf, and often trundle down to the basin stay the night and poddle back.

Twenty years ago it was a thousand times worse and still not bad enough to provoke excessive caution.

The basin itself is lovely and I have never heard anything untoward whilst sleeping overnight.

I support what others are saying about the Motor Museum, and the city centre is a lot cleaner than it was and the canal rangers do a floating rubbish sweep each week.

I wouldn't pretend it's the cleanest, most picturesque bit of canal ever, however it was built for the most commercial of reasons and naturally it echoes that.

If you want someone to ride shotgun for you and point out bits of interest like the birthplace of machine tool manufacturing, the WW1 armament's factory and loading wharf, Mr Courtauld's emporium and the reason boat families had to extinguish their cabin stoves, The famous ribbon factory with the workshops above the workers' cottages, the breach of 1978 how it happened, where it ended up etc etc etc. .......... then: -

PM me when you know if you're doing it, and diary allowing I'll happily join you ( I work Mon, Tues & Wed, the rest of the week is mine)

I'd say it was somewhat twee, particularly the landscaping around the weighbridge. :huh:

10 out of 10 for saving it, 1 out of 10 for interpretation

The new flats on the other side are rather nice (confession time - I was involved in the project). The proceeds from that redevelopment paid for a lot of the restoration work, though.

Ian

I'd say it was somewhat twee, particularly the landscaping around the weighbridge. :huh:

10 out of 10 for saving it, 1 out of 10 for interpretation

Agreed. 'Nicely done' isn't necessarily a full blooded compliment in my book. A few more boats there might have improved it; it was very dead when we were there, and that was at the height of summer. The rest of the canal is a good contrast to the basin though.

Edited by WarriorWoman

you put a whole new perspective on it :)

Living here - we just want to get away from it !

we havent ventured far - but we like the run from marston junction to the lime kilns pub near hinkley. (that round trip is a full day for us)

I do like visiting other run down town/city centers and taking it all in - just never thought about Coventry in the same way.

So - I change my mind .... Do the Coventry 'Arm' for the experience.

If I ever make it onto the water full time, it would be nice to navigate all that is navigable ! - so looking at it like that, maybe I was wrong in saying take the bus.

as you were ! :huh:

Just a couple more points. Definitely do the trip, Lots to see in the city. Amuse yourself on the way down by looking out for the 40 odd sculptures that form the "Art- trail" They are not always what or where you might think. Some are very witty - even funny. Do not moor over night anywhere between the basin and Grange Road Bridge (No. 11) on some maps it is called Coney Lane Bridge. - it is better at Hawkesbury- either on the Coventry or Oxford Canals.

Tony

you put a whole new perspective on it :)

Living here - we just want to get away from it !

we havent ventured far - but we like the run from marston junction to the lime kilns pub near hinkley. (that round trip is a full day for us)

I do like visiting other run down town/city centers and taking it all in - just never thought about Coventry in the same way.

So - I change my mind .... Do the Coventry 'Arm' for the experience.

If I ever make it onto the water full time, it would be nice to navigate all that is navigable ! - so looking at it like that, maybe I was wrong in saying take the bus.

as you were ! :huh:

I once lived for three years just round the corner from Tower Bridge & Tower of London I didn't even bother once to go and have a look, I didn't need to I knew they were there!

That can apply to wherever you tie your boat.

As for Coventry I was brought up here as a teenager and couldn't wait to get away. I came back after a thirty year absence and now approve of many of the changes, especially when I can compare the poor old battered city to some of the other places i've lived in since. It's really not so bad. Not perfect but I have seen worse.

Chris the only bus stop anywhere near Sutton Stop is the No.60, which is a 5 minute walk only problem is it only runs a couple of times a day. A 15 minute walk onto the Foleshill Rd and the 20 and 40 run about every 20 minutes. £2.60 buys an all day pass. My personal opinion Sutton Stop is not that lovely, dog muck, no electricity in sanitary station overlooked by new builds. BW hoppers full of rubbish moored up on the loading point. Over stayers on the water points 6 months plus. If you have a problem the Police don’t know who's patch it is, between West Midlands and Warwickshire it took them 2 1/2 hours before an officer was present after I was assaulted last year. Don’t rate the Greyhound not really a boaters pub anymore [the Mild is good] Try the Boat Inn [5 min walk] When in Coventry Basin you can see the Lord Admiral Codrington Public House [see there is beer at the end] and you could take a walk down to the Belgrade Theatre and the Town wall Tavern, see a show and have a drink with crew and cast. The Basin has a 48 hour limit but don’t worry, the Rangers are no longer about [they are being incorporated into the municipal parks] they can only man the Rangers Office when there is more than one on duty so don’t expect a welcome. There is no security but Police Officers can occasionally be seen and there is CCTV. Over the New Year the Basin was full of boats. If you want a quiet time the Basin is much quieter than Sutton Stop. Unfortunately Coventry Council promised to hold 4 events a year in the Canal Basin, these events helped keep the Shops afloat! But now funding has stopped make it quick Chris the Cafe I hope will still be open. The Basin is off the beaten track for most locals, it is quiet so quiet all the shops below the flats have never opened and the few below the offices are struggling. There is also a venue in the Canal Basin if it has a gig once a fortnight I would be surprised so no noise issue there. What I find a pity is the Old Warehouses were let to local artists and there is no access. The only other over night mooring I would use on the way to the Basin is opposite the Longford Engine [also not a boaters pub].

Chris when you coming down?

zenataomm is your boat O____Y ?

You certainly don't go in the Greyhound with kids. We were really put off by that when we went with the kids. When we past through last week, we moored up for water (after the turn) and were asked to move up to let someone else in, then moved again, and were virtually ousted because they all 'knew each other'. We just filled up (which can take around 20 minutes with our tank and because if someone is using the water point the other side, it slows down the one your side). I didn't mind waiting and keeping them waiting. I don't like being told what to do when I have rights to use the facilities.

Too cliquey for me, but others might not agree.

You certainly don't go in the Greyhound with kids. We were really put off by that when we went with the kids. When we past through last week, we moored up for water (after the turn) and were asked to move up to let someone else in, then moved again, and were virtually ousted because they all 'knew each other'. We just filled up (which can take around 20 minutes with our tank and because if someone is using the water point the other side, it slows down the one your side). I didn't mind waiting and keeping them waiting. I don't like being told what to do when I have rights to use the facilities.

Too cliquey for me, but others might not agree.

BW come along about every 6 months (and thats about all we get from BW :) ) to move the overstayers on - but they are all back in a couple of days - so yes , I could imagine they are a bit 'cliquey'

The Greyhound DONT WANT KIDS - they openly say that, but we still find it cosey in there (without the kids) in the winter. Saying that - we havent been there for a while as we are skint !

I suppose, when I said it is lovely - I meant , compared to the rest of Coventry :huh: which just about sumps up how I feel about the place !

JohnO - I see you are from Charity - is that charity docks in beduth ? Only been past a few times, but it is fascinating ! What actualy goes on there ?