One for ChrisW

steelaway

Featured Posts

It's a load of bolleaux ;)

If someone swore to me that it worked, I would guess:

1. The 10 minute wait (and not the grapefruits) allowed the battery to recover somewhat after the initial cranking, or

2. The acid in the grapefruits dribbled down the copper and cleaned the battery terminals, thereby allowing a better contact

3. It's a total load of bolleaux and a wind-up

My money's on #3.

Chris

1. The 10 minute wait (and not the grapefruits) allowed the battery to recover somewhat after the initial cranking, or

2. The acid in the grapefruits dribbled down the copper and cleaned the battery terminals, thereby allowing a better contact

My money's on #3.

Chris

I'm with Chris, I have a totally useless battery which I'm prepared to get rid of (donate) to any one who wishes to try this, provide your own fruit. :D

Good luck

Ken

But it does work with bananas. Only use 12v bananas and observe polarity. Bananas are polarity conscious.

Do not allow the stalk ends to contact each other or a banana split may result.

Please observe the usual safety precautions, when attempting this at home.

Does this observation qualify me for membership into the virtual pub or do I need another large scotch?

My money's on #3.

Chris

well said load of crap

It's a load of bolleaux :D

My money's on #3.

Chris

So topping up my battery's with Tesco's best grapefruit juice has been a waste of time (and grapefriut juice)? :D

Alex ;)

So topping up my battery's with Tesco's best grapefruit juice has been a waste of time (and grapefriut juice)? :D

Alex ;)

C'mon everyone knows a battery needs more juice in it ... to get it going

Edited by PaulW

Alex ;)

Acetic acid (grapefruit juice, vinegar, etc) put into a battery will give you a quick increase in capacity. BUT it will start preferential corrosion that will kill any Lead acid battery in weeks. It is a common know documented contaminent. ie when carbouys are not washed out having had Acetic acid in them and then used for sulphuric acid. Try it if you don't belive me.

Daren

PS In the clip they didn't even put it in the cells but as Chris said it will have cleaned up the terminals nicely.

Like others I suspect it's a joke video but there is also a scientific explanation.

If the car won't start because it's cold and tired and the battery is marginal then the initial (failed) attempt will warm the battery up and discharge the surface of the plates (surface discharge). An immediate second attempt will be worse because of the surface discharge.

However give it ten minutes and the surface discharge will permeate through into the depths of the plates. The battery is now only slightly flatter than it was initially (maybe a percent or so). But it is warmer and the chemical reactions in the battery work better and faster when warm. Ten minutes messing round with copper tubes and fruit is probably long enough for the battery to now start the engine.

Gibbo

From pyramid power link:clicky
One is also supposed to be able to freshen vegetables, restore stale coffee, ripen hard fruit, mellow cheap wines and make cigarettes taste less harsh.

I can actually understand the likelihood of hard fruit ripening with time.... ;)

Whilst we have the experts' attention, how about an opinion on this one......BEFORE I blow myself up... :D

clicky

Edited by Hairy-Neil

This is my only means of charging my batteries and works perfectly.

I also sharpen my razor blades by placing them in a cardboard pyramid, overnight.

Edited for pyramid power link:

clicky

Carl, you are more than a week early - it isn't April 1st until a week on Tuesday! ;)

I can actually understand the likelihood of hard fruit ripening with time.... :rolleyes:

Whilst we have the experts' attention, how about an opinion on this one......BEFORE I blow myself up... :rolleyes:

clicky

Yes it will work BUT only for a short time as you now have a hole in the sep and if your cell has got to this stage there will be other dendrite trees on their way. Much better to use a specalist charger and cycle the dendrites away but even this will only buy you a few more months. But at least it won't blow up in your face as this zapping thing can.

Daren