Groan..........

nigel carton

Featured Posts

grabbed from another forum. :smiley_offtopic:

Red diesel decision is in: full rate at pump from November

The decision is this: red diesel is staying red, but boaters will have to pay the top rate of duty (54.68 pence per litre instead of 7.69ppl) at the pump from 1 November this year.

Boaters, therefore, can expect to see prices for a litre of diesel shoot to well over £1 from November.

This also means that the fuel vendor is handed the responsibility of differentiating between commercial users, who will remain legally allowed to use red, and leisure users.

The news came through today from HM Revenue & Customs, with the following wording: "Private pleasure vessels will continue to be permitted to use marked (red diesel) but at a rate for heavy oil, repaying the rebated duty via the Registered Dealers in Controlled Oils who will declare this to HMRC. An allowance for domestic use will be permitted."

Boiled down into plain English - full whack at the pump, but leisure users may declare that they intend to use a certain proportion of their tank of red for heating, or other "domestic uses".

I just figured out before this new charge came in, that the boat is costing us £700 more a year than it did two years ago - that's boat license and mooring fee alone, add the diesel and gas prices on, add another £400 on top of that?

Edited by Lady Muck

The news came through today from HM Revenue & Customs, with the following wording: "Private pleasure vessels will continue to be permitted to use marked (red diesel) but at a rate for heavy oil, repaying the rebated duty via the Registered Dealers in Controlled Oils who will declare this to HMRC. An allowance for domestic use will be permitted."

I have searched the Revenue & Customs website and the only reference I can find that resembles the above refers to last year's consultation document where it was listed as one of several options.

I completed the consultation form on line and this was subsequently acknowledged with a note to say that I would be advised of the final decision - haven't heard anything yet - has anybody else heard anything from R&C?

If red diesel can still be used ,(which really was never in doubt considering the task of policing it as traces of red would remain in system for many years). I am sure that a great many boaters will soon find ways to get hold of the fuel without paying the higher taxes. The government is having enough problems funding the customs and revenue to stop the flow of counterfeit goods and drugs in this country so how high will the priority be in chasing boats up and down the canals.

Interesting how other boatys view this inpending doom, specially the one's with very big tanks

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat...art/1/vc/1/nt/3

Well, speaking as someone who has two 200 gallon tanks and 12 cylinders I still can't see why my hobby has been subsidised when my essential car fuel hasn't.

It's just a shame the fuel tax isn't the same as europe for all transport, then I'd be quids in.

If red diesel can still be used ,(which really was never in doubt considering the task of policing it as traces of red would remain in system for many years). I am sure that a great many boaters will soon find ways to get hold of the fuel without paying the higher taxes. The government is having enough problems funding the customs and revenue to stop the flow of counterfeit goods and drugs in this country so how high will the priority be in chasing boats up and down the canals.

Very high, easy target.

Well, speaking as someone who has two 200 gallon tanks and 12 cylinders I still can't see why my hobby has been subsidised when my essential car fuel hasn't.

It's just a shame the fuel tax isn't the same as europe for all transport, then I'd be quids in.

Carl, you are bragging again! You know we are all envious :smiley_offtopic:

Seriously though, nothing is set in stone until Parliament approves the finance bill in November - so there is still time to write to your MP and plea the case. If there is enough pressure, the government will make last minute changes in order to ensure that more important aspects of the Finance Bill get through - so get lobbying . . .

Carl, you are bragging again! You know we are all envious :smiley_offtopic:

Seriously though, nothing is set in stone until Parliament approves the finance bill in November - so there is still time to write to your MP and plea the case. If there is enough pressure, the government will make last minute changes in order to ensure that more important aspects of the Finance Bill get through - so get lobbying . . .

Forget it, the government thinks we run our cars on that old red crap so tax will be paid on it.

I am sure that a great many boaters will soon find ways to get hold of the fuel without paying the higher taxes.

Absolutely,and personaly I don't have a problem with that. However the rivers and canals will become one big diesel slick as boaters try and fill their tanks from containers. I doubt anybody can actually pour diesel out of a container (usually 25 litres) using a funnel into the tank without splashing or spilling a single drop. There could be a good market here for hand pumps.

Absolutely,and personaly I don't have a problem with that. However the rivers and canals will become one big diesel slick as boaters try and fill their tanks from containers. I doubt anybody can actually pour diesel out of a container (usually 25 litres) using a funnel into the tank without splashing or spilling a single drop. There could be a good market here for hand pumps.

You dont have 12 volts?

Forget it, the government thinks we run our cars on that old red crap so tax will be paid on it.

I once new someone who boasted that he did just that - a very prominent member of the esablishment and a millionaire who really had no need to take such a risk!

Boiled down into plain English - full whack at the pump, but leisure users may declare that they intend to use a certain proportion of their tank of red for heating, or other "domestic uses".

How will this allowance work in practice I wonder? Would you need separate tanks to qualify for domestic use and from whom would one make such a declaration - HM Revenue & customs? Presumably not the woman who runs our coal & diesel boat - she'd just tell me to naff off :smiley_offtopic:

It will be interesting to see what the final wording is with regard to enforcement - There would be no point chasing the boats up and down the canals unless there is a legal requirement for the users to maintain records of what fuel they have purchased and at what duty level. Without this requirement on users it will be impossible to prevent people 'aquiring' low duty fuel.

Maybe we should introduce a disc that is issued each year to prove that excise has been paid. That way the tax dodgers can be spotted and reported in the same way that the waterways, and mooring, tax dodgers are.

Perhaps the Revenue and Customs could even issue us with a special badge to wear whenever we get paid to show that we have paid our income tax . . .

:smiley_offtopic::