Video of London Canal Museum

bargiepat

Featured Posts

• 10 months later...
I think they should have done an authentic reconstruction of a family run narrow boat, ie it would stink, be filthy and have 7 illiterate unwashed children in it. not the sort of "trad" boaters might want these days!

I would imagine that the ratio of stinking, filthy boats to clean ones to be much the same as the ration of stinking, filthy houses to clean ones today.

Nick

Did you steal anything else that day?

Tim

Cant say i did. Although i chucked £5 in the donations tin.

- The post proberbly didnt read as it should, i was mearly offering a explanation for why some may have not realised it was pay-to-enter as i didnt untill i was about to leave.

Daniel

I would imagine that the ratio of stinking, filthy boats to clean ones to be much the same as the ration of stinking, filthy houses to clean ones today.

Nick

Thats not what contemporary accounts of family boats said. They were the lowest of the low. The barges run by a couple of men were said to be very clean however. I doubt you get many families living in those conditions today.

I think they should have done an authentic reconstruction of a family run narrow boat, ie it would stink, be filthy and have 7 illiterate unwashed children in it. not the sort of "trad" boaters might want these days!

I agree with you.

My gran recalls the children of the working boatmen on the Aire and Calder - they used to go and stare at them amazed at how filthy they were. 'They were fireback!' she says.

Nick

The cabin of Coronis at the London Canal Museumcontains an audio presentation from an ex working boatman who describes what it was like living on board.

Tim