What would you do?

StoneHenge

Featured Posts

Situation for you:

A boat pulls up near you on visitor moorings. They let their kids run riot chucking ice at ducks, lobbing it off the bridges and chucking bricks in as well as leaving rubbish on the towpath?

Tell them off, or keep stum because of reprisals?

The same boat then leaves a few days later, but not before dumping rubbish in the towpath bushes. You know where they have moved to?

Do you take it back to them, or take it to the tip?

I had this the last two weekends and I am disgusted with some people's behaviour. If we had not moved the rubbish ourselves all the rest we have done over the last year when visiting sections of the Ashby, some parts of it would look like a tip. Why do people do it? Why not use a bin, or the tip or keep it until you can dispose of it properly? Do you think they look big and clever, it's not their problem?

Why should we have to get a bad name because of the few boaters (so called) decide to use the canals and towpaths as their personal rubbish disposal sites?

I am sick to the back teeth of low lives like this. Why not just take your crap with you, and let those of us who actually respect the environment that we are in enjoy it. Not hard is it?

Rant over!

I'd ask the kids to stop. If they ignore me I ask the parents to stop the kids doing it. If they do nothing I phone BW and let the boaters know I'm phoning BW, with their registered number. I might even threaten to phone the police. Might even do it if they're gits.

And yes, I'd bring their rubbish back to them.

My wife challenged a chap last week who let his dog unleash the biggest pile of cr*p on the towpath you have ever seen and he got all abusive in front of the kids and threatened to do her in. Same happened last year in Marple in a kids playground - amongst all the f words the chap kept telling her his dog couldn't help it and she was predjudiced against dogs !

Problem is with slobs (that may be politically incorrect but there you go) is that they live their life like that, have possibly been brought up with those values and invariably whatever you do it will make little difference as they feel they are right.

We were at McDonalds last year and the car in front opened their window, dropped the empty cartons on the car park and drove off. Our 4 year old rightly asked 'why did they not put in in the bin like we do'

I think society these days has a huge problem with people accepting responsibility for their (and their dependants) actions.

Shame really.

In answer to your question.....

a) the thing we should have the freedom to do is challenge them but after what happened to the chap in Warrington which was in the news recently, call me a wimp but I don't want my kids fatherless

:D the next best thing is to report to BW/Local Council/Police - not sure who if any would take any interest.

... we should have the freedom to do is challenge them but after what happened to the chap in Warrington which was in the news recently, call me a wimp but I don't want my kids fatherless

:D the next best thing is to report to BW/Local Council/Police - not sure who if any would take any interest.

I agree, it's unlikely you'll be able to have a sensible conversation with them about the problem, So I would take photos and inform BW.

My issue and I agree BSP, I wanted to do those things is that they would know what boat I was on and chances are they would do something to it. either that, or I'd get a beating.

I'm not a wimp, I've caused some right old stand offs before where I should have been more careful because I believe passionately about treating our environment with respect. It's not ours, it's the farmers and BW's waters, whom they are letting us borrow. I wouldn't mis treat it, as I enjoy this life too much.

I will certainly report it to BW. It's something at least.

The worst thing was was that he stood there and watched them and did nothing. The mess those kids left after was awful, and it was lucky none of the local ducks got hurt to be honest.

The tyres, well, we moved them, we shouldn't have to, but we did. I can't just leave it there, as I know no-one else will bother, nor should they have to, but if you leave things in a mess for long enough, the dog walkers, joggers, cyclists, fishermen, the farmer, BW, will all start complaining!

That will only lead to the place being demoted and probably a good thing, but a shame for those who do enjoy it properly.

I've seen this happen and it drives me insane too, the problem is that if it is a few teenagers you just have no idea what they might be carrying and nobody wants to end up in hospital or dead due to a McBox, nor do you want a key down the side of your boat or a petrol bomb lobbed at it.

Camera is a great tool and most of us carry one these days in the shape of a phone. But, aiming a camera is a bit obvious so here's a tip. If you are with your partner or whoever, just get them to pose for the shot and then zoom the camera straight over their shoulder to the evidence. Works a treat!

Oh and if you want to see how litter destroys the environment and beauty of canals, hills, beaches and just about anywhere, go visit India!!

I'd want to do something but probably be a total chicken and just dump the rubbish back on there boat in the night.

If i knew where they were for long enough i'd report them but knowing how slow the police etc are I dont think i'd bother if i thought they would be gone the next day.

Stonehenge you got some photos then? Lets have a look. Think you wil find the waterways are as much yours as anyone elses BW just look after them for you. I have spent the last 3 weeks clearing the locals and boaters rubbish did not have to but i feel i have made a difference. Nothing wrong with [work in progress] making a mess, just tidy up after yourself. You could stuff their rubbish down their chimney Add smiley of your choice

Camera is a great tool and most of us carry one these days in the shape of a phone. But, aiming a camera is a bit obvious so here's a tip. If you are with your partner or whoever, just get them to pose for the shot and then zoom the camera

:D

Although I wonder whether them seeing you take a photo of them is the biggest incentive to behave a go away?

Makes you want to be a vigilante ! Collect all the rubbish up, dump it on their boat ( OK, maybe at night to save getting shot or stabbed) and tell the Police and BW that they should be cautioned with possibly a huge fine and refusal / withdrawal of their license - and publicise their boat name on the group so we can all watch out for them and give them hassle each time they offend until - perhaps they'll eventually get the message if they have anything to remember things with..

It's long overdue, but as a race, we have really become too tolerant of too much and a few more tough actions by intolerant Police / authorities would certainly get my vote..

Last night some oik raced up behind me in a car, drove 3 feet behind me for a while, then overtook, so I flashed him for unsafe driving, he slammed on the brakes to try and stop me ( all on a dual carriageway ), kids were getting frightened, and we drove on at 20 mph, one in each lane with me a short distance behind, wondering what was about to unfold...

After about a mile he drove on.... but what would have been a possible outcome... it's the way it's all going ...

Had I no dependants, I would have quite happily and readily sorted the situation myself.....

Nick

We've got some oik on one of the mini motorcycles speeding up and down the towpath most evenings at the moment. I do hope he doesn't do it on a day where I see fit to secure our centre rope to a tree, across the towpath... at neck height... in the dark...

Edited by BlueStringPudding

I know this happens everywhere, and I am one of those who picks litter up on the towpath etc becasue like you JohnO, I feel it makes a difference and that the people who do treat it with respect get to enjoy it.

Down the road (the canal runs parallel to it for a time), there are two stops where you can pull your car in. these are fishing spots. The opposite to us where we are at the moment is also a local picnic spot etc. You often get groups of youths in their cars stopping off to drink, finish their spliffs, then go off. The fishing spots every single week end up covered in McDonald's stuff. Someone clears it up, some oiks put more there.

You can't win, but at least I am trying!

Must say dog poooo is what really p***** me off and have had many confrontations with dog owners, having said that I di choose my dog owners carefully.....

Bags of rubish on the tow path is the second thing that p***** me off especially when it on the tow path in the middle of nowhere meaning it could only have been left by a boater..... having said that think BW could provide a few more rubish points.

As far as the problem highlighted on this post must say I would have said nothing and called BW with the reg no. and boat name call me chicken but being on my own and usually moored in the middle of nowhere would have worried as to what might happen on a later date.

Must say dog poooo is what really p***** me off and have had many confrontations with dog owners, having said that I di choose my dog owners carefully.....

Bags of rubish on the tow path is the second thing that p***** me off especially when it on the tow path in the middle of nowhere meaning it could only have been left by a boater..... having said that think BW could provide a few more rubish points.

As far as the problem highlighted on this post must say I would have said nothing and called BW with the reg no. and boat name call me chicken but being on my own and usually moored in the middle of nowhere would have worried as to what might happen on a later date.

I agree and although I know my husband is no wimp, I wouldn't want him confronted in the day when I am not there when I know he has our two year old son there. If anything happened to hubby, well, I don't even want to think about it.

I always tend to have the arguments reasoning that most people I have confronted would not hit a woman, but it doesn't stop them chucking a brick through your window, keying your boat, lobbing something lit into it etc.

We've got some oik on one of the mini motorcycles speeding up and down the towpath most evenings at the moment. I do hope he doesn't do it on a day where I see fit to secure our centre rope to a tree, across the towpath... at neck height... in the dark...

Have you tried having a word.Before you kill him in cold blood.

A broom in the wheel spokes works well, and you get to pick him up and dust him down.

I think the greed culture in this country has gone a stage further amongst some people who seem to think that being inconsiderate and offensive is ok because they're just marking out their own physical and psychological space. It's not that they don't have any values, it's that their values are screwed up.

We've had discussions about this before and I think this is especially prevalent in today's youth culture - they seem to think it's ok to impose their crap on everyone else. Why else would they assume that I want to listen to gangsta rap on the bus for example? It's an imposition of their cultural values on mine. It's interesting to note however, that some young people who do such things are not really bad people, they're just so ignorant that they think their behaviour is normal and don't actually realise it's irritating to other people.

Have you tried having a word.Before you kill him in cold blood.

1) I think BSP may be having a tongue in cheek moment

2) If she did say something she would probably have a fist in cheek moment

Lose Lose

Ho hum - must get back to the Daily Mail crossword and decide which year all this gets too much and I go to live on a remote Scottish Island.

I would photograph them and give the pictures to the cops. I'm not scared of vandals. I live in Tottenham, where alot of people are scared of kids. I asked some kids to stop throwing blocks of concrete in the river here. I told them how it would be me who paid for it to be removed and that I wasn't happy about that, I gave them the choice of stopping and going home or carrying on and I'd call the police. I didn't lose my rag, I just told them why I wasn't happy about it. They stopped.I caught some kids about to set fire to our shower/toilets block. I happened to be in the laundry room when I heard them talking about it. I took photos of them when I got back to the boat and my partner told them to clear off. They were all in school uniform and all very drunk. They were desperately trying to get a rise out of my partner, but they didn't get anywhere. We gave the photos to the cops who instantly knew who they were and informed the school.The best way I've found of dealing with these situations is to stay calm, don't threaten or lose your rag, sounds odd but if you do it in a respectful way, it doesn't go pearshaped.If kids come down here and cause trouble they can expect to be reported, it's not only me that will do it.The cops have stressed to us how important it is to report this kind of thing. As rough as it is in Haringey, I've found the cops really quick to respond, Haringey council is going for the old zero tolerance thing. To be honest, I find kids behavour far worse when I go up to West Yorks to see my mother. Not only that, but I cannot believe the amount of dog shit on the towpaths near mums - (she lives on the Aire and Calder) I took the dog out and coud not find a single poo bin and no one picks up after their dogs. I can now understand why so many of the boaters here complain about it.

and on the subject of rubbish - when my partner had his motorbike, if he was in stationery traffic and someone threw their litter out of the window, he'd post it back through the gap above their window! :D

Edited by Lady Muck

The best way I've found of dealing with these situations is to stay calm, don't threaten or lose your rag, sounds odd but if you do it in a respectful way, it doesn't go pearshaped.

That's all well & good, and in general I agree, but you seem to be making a rather sweeping statement about what will and what won't work in these situations. I agree that you're more likely to succeed if you stay calm, but things can always backfire however you deal with it. I'm not sure that Gary Newlove lost his rag?

Edited by blackrose

Last night we had our windows targetted by some of the local nightlife and foolishly maybe we went out to confront them, this is a quiet village in north wales remember. We were subjected to foul mouthed abuse from the two girls responsible (sisters) while their mother was present, we had not sworn at all but this made no difference to them. In the end we contacted the police to sort out the whole mess, its a sorry state we are in when children are not raised to respect peoples property and persons and only feel able to communicate by swearing and threatening others.