Forget Bow Thrusters

Featured Posts

The next build featured HERE is looking very likely to have a new concept fitted Jet Thrusters.

jt1.jpg

THE WILLDO JET THRUSTERS ARE DRIVEN HYDRAULICALLY (NOT ELECTRICALLY) BY THE PROPULSION ENGINE.

A HYDRAULIC PUMP, WHICH IS FITTED ONTO THE PROPULSION ENGINE, DRIVES A HYDRAULIC MOTOR, LOCATED

IN THE PUMP HOUSING, WHICH IN TURN ACTIVATES A WATER PUMP, THAT SUCKS IN THE WATER THROUGH AN

OPENING IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOAT AND PRESSES IT WITH GREAT FORCE, VIA HOSES WITH AN INSIDE

DIAMETER OF NO MORE THAN 45 MM, TO THE NOZZLES IN THE SIDES OF THE BOAT.

jpt2.jpg

More info can be found HERE

Edited by Gary Peacock

The next build featured HERE is looking very likely to have a new concept fitted Jet Thrusters.

jt1.jpg

THE WILLDO JET THRUSTERS ARE DRIVEN HYDRAULICALLY (NOT ELECTRICALLY) BY THE PROPULSION ENGINE.

A HYDRAULIC PUMP, WHICH IS FITTED ONTO THE PROPULSION ENGINE, DRIVES A HYDRAULIC MOTOR, LOCATED

IN THE PUMP HOUSING, WHICH IN TURN ACTIVATES A WATER PUMP, THAT SUCKS IN THE WATER THROUGH AN

OPENING IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOAT AND PRESSES IT WITH GREAT FORCE, VIA HOSES WITH AN INSIDE

jpt2.jpg

I note on the Willdo site they offer 'Hydraulic drive 360' which, if suitable for a narrowboat, offers I suppose the prospect of better reverse steering. 'Though it wouldn't please some I say bring it on!

Looks very similar to an idea I had many years ago using swivel nozzles front and back.

I discounted it from cost, and likelyhood of damage (as the nozzles would have been some sort of rubber).

This looks like a better concept!

What are the likely problems on the intake side?

Looks very similar to an idea I had many years ago using swivel nozzles front and back.

I discounted it from cost, and likelyhood of damage (as the nozzles would have been some sort of rubber).

This looks like a better concept!

What are the likely problems on the intake side?

I think swiveling thrusters are already in use, but as you say, the problem is that they do not form an integral part of the hull and can get damaged.

Jet thrusters eh? The traditionalists are not going to be happy... :cheers:

Yes, getting muck in the intake side must definately be an issue - are these already used on seagoing boats Gary?

Also, since the hydraulic unit is run from the propulsion engine, is it going to suffer from the problems associated with many hydraulically driven bow thrusters? Namely that the user needs to rev the engine (in neutral) in order to get any power from the unit.

Edited by blackrose

How well will it pump shopping trolleys? :cheers:

I think swiveling thrusters are already in use, but as you say, the problem is that they do not form an integral part of the hull and can get damaged.

Jet thrusters eh? The traditionalists are not going to be happy... :cheers:

Yes, getting muck in the intake side must definately be an issue - are these already used on seagoing boats Gary?

Also, since the hydraulic unit is run from the propulsion engine, is it going to suffer from the problems associated with many hydraulically driven bow thrusters? Namely that the user needs to rev the engine (in neutral) in order to get any power from the unit.

This is going to be a bit of a case of installing "not specifying" but the manufacturer seems to be working with the customer to resolve the potential problems.

The system is in use in the blue water world where the inlet is normally in the boats bottom obviously for this application this will have to change while the hydraulic side is supposed to be optimised for low RPM to get around the problems that normal hydraulic bow thrusters tend to suffer.

If the systems gets installed it will be very much down to the manufacturers answers to the customer about potential problems. I am keeping an open mind on it at the moment but I would really like to see it installed and in action.

It seems to overcome a lot of the standard smaller problems if it can avoid introducing any more major ones.

I think it's a worthwhile installation even if it doesn't work. It might cost thousands & prove to be a complete headache, but when it does work it's going to drive the traditionalists mad and to me that's its real value. :lol:

Spoken like a true idiot. :cheers:

This looks like a good system, i'd like to see a 'holding tank' which is filled with water 'at leisure' via a jabsco or something from which the jet can draw water on the occasions that a certain thruster was required. Maybe it uses too much water. If this system really works, 45mm nozzles, i'd have nine of them 2 each side and 2 angled a bit at bows and stern and one in the stempost.

This looks like a good system, i'd like to see a 'holding tank' which is filled with water 'at leisure' via a jabsco or something from which the jet can draw water on the occasions that a certain thruster was required. Maybe it uses too much water. If this system really works, 45mm nozzles, i'd have nine of them 2 each side and 2 angled a bit at bows and stern and one in the stempost.

I think you would look something like this...

Fireboat.jpg

jt1.jpg

jpt2.jpg

Vetus had a unit that looked very much like this on the market a little over 20 years ago. I installed one and it did work but was sadly lacking in thrust. Vetus quickly dropped the idea.

I would imagine that it will need at least 1800 lbs of pressure and a minimum of 8 gallons a minute hydraulic capacity. That will require about 20HP. Will the main engine supply that at idle?

If you had that kind of hydraulic power then you would be better off with a standard hydraulic tunnel thruster.

The available thrust I find in the Willdo site is dismal for this unit.

It may be OK on a NB but will be more expensive and less powerful than a standard thruster.