Flood Marine Web Shop

Barry Flood

Featured Posts

Hey guys, im new to this forum and have joined up to ask for some constructive criticism for our company.

We have been in business for 40 years and have finally made it onto the web! (about time too lol)

anyway, the website will allow customers to purchase products online. Will you guys have a browse through, (only a few products are available yet) and let us know what you think, if you would like any more catagories etc?

www.floodmarine.co.uk is the website, thanks in advance

Some comments:

1. You say that you are "statistically Ireland's premiere stockist of................ etc etc". Why do you use the word "statistically"? Either you believe you are the premier stockist or you don't. IMHO, use of the word is unnecessary and long-winded.

2. VAT in Ireland is 21% so those in the UK would pay over the odds, compared to buying the same products in the UK.

3. You have a couple of grammar mistakes in the wording.

Hope this helps

Chris

Some comments:

1. You say that you are "statistically Ireland's premiere stockist of................ etc etc". Why do you use the word "statistically"? Either you believe you are the premier stockist or you don't. IMHO, use of the word is unnecessary and long-winded.

2. VAT in Ireland is 21% so those in the UK would pay over the odds, compared to buying the same products in the UK.

3. You have a couple of grammar mistakes in the wording.

Hope this helps

Chris

What has his grandmar got to do with it?

also, what is usability like?

Loose/Change that huge graphic - on a widescreen notebook you've got to scroll down to get to the full "Pop-Up" menus and also to get to the 'good stuff' in the detail. That would soon make me, well, give up on the site I'm afraid if I knew I similar supplier.

Subtle advert Barry.

I had a quick browse through but there are very few products in your virtual shop that would appeal to

inland waterways craft.

Unless you are substantially cheaper, most of the items can be purchased canalside here on the mainland.

If you want to know what would appeal, look at the Aquafax canal range.

Edited by NB Willawaw

we are northern ireland based which is still in the uk so vat here is 17.5% so people in the UK don't pay over the odds

we say statistically because it has been statistically proven we are number 1.

also, what is usability like?

1. Why then, when I clicked "BUY" on a random product did it add VAT @ 21%?

2. I'm not disputing you may be "statistically" No.1, but it makes the reader feel it is some kind of "weasel word" to make you appear as No.1. If you're No.1 just simply say that IMHO. (Keep it simple)

Chris

Website looks okey.. the main graphic is good for the main page but on shopping broswing pages users *do not* want to have to scroll down miles every time to just see the products!

Also as a sailor so I know some of the prices.. it is looking all a bit too expensive!

Oh yeh and if you want to advertise it like this on a canal forum.. i'd include some canal stuff :)

And loose the google checkout. There are *MANY* good banking facilities for online shops... using google doesn't look all that pro in my book. And if I came across it.. would think twice about buying!

Edited by Sam

1. Why then, when I clicked "BUY" on a random product did it add VAT @ 21%?

2. I'm not disputing you may be "statistically" No.1, but it makes the reader feel it is some kind of "weasel word" to make you appear as No.1. If you're No.1 just simply say that IMHO. (Keep it simple)

Chris

:)

I keep seeing IMHO on the forum

Iwas just going to ask what the hell that means

Just gorrit

In My Humble Opinion!

Wow

Alex B)

you are mistaken, the site doesnt add 21/22% it doesnt add anything to the cost except the postage charge. and it tells you how much postage abnd vat was chargedthe reason it all looks so expensive is because so far I have only listed the YAMAHA genuine products (mroe expensive stuff)soon I will be adding plastimo products, navman, garmin, lowrance and various other suppliers (the cheaper range of things :-) so our prices will be very competitive when all the products go online (all 4000)word "statistically" has been removed :-)

Do you sell Yamaha outboards?

Your spelling and grammar are atrocious. The design very clunky. On 800 x 600 viewport i can't see anything of interest, on 1024 x 768 I can see where the interest is but it is still not in focus.

And I won't use a site that is using half the screen for a graphic but wants me to interact with it.

What do you want people to do? Admire the picture or buy Yamaha outboards?

Oh, and Google is not so easily fooled.

Much as I hate to agree with Chris, the VAT content as indicated in the check out IS 21% (10 seconds with a calculator). The site seems OK to me, but I'm currently after long link chain and an inverter and neither items are on your site.

Best of luck, Steve

I click on a category - electronics - GPS. It takes me to a multiple choice drop-down menu including all the stock of paint, lifejackets, ........................ :)

Sorry, I can't waste time on that. If I click on GPS I expect the next screen to show me what GPS units you have in stock.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, im new to this forum and have joined up to ask for some constructive criticism for our company.

We have been in business for 40 years and have finally made it onto the web! (about time too lol)

anyway, the website will allow customers to purchase products online. Will you guys have a browse through, (only a few products are available yet) and let us know what you think, if you would like any more catagories etc?

http://www.floodmarine.co.uk/ is the website, thanks in advance

Whenever I see "Call for price" ...... I never do.

If your prices are very competitive, then say so.

The banner/graphic is too large.

Engine hour meter digital

............................Your prices................................ My workings

total ex VAT ...........65.99 .......................................65.99

VAT@17.5% ...........14.00 (21.25%) ..........................11.55

P&P .......................04.20 .......................................04.20

total .......................84.19 ......................................81.74.

Even if you charge VAT on P&P cannot get 84.19

Your price of 79.99 + 4.20 does = 84.19

I am guessing that this may be a typographical error.

Just thought you have taken 79.99 and subtracted 17.5% that is not how you get 'total ex vat' 79.99 is equal to 117.5% of the 'ex vat' price.

The true 'ex vat' cost is 68.07

Edited by bottle

you are mistaken, the site doesnt add 21/22% it doesnt add anything to the cost except the postage charge. and it tells you how much postage abnd vat was chargedthe reason it all looks so expensive is because so far I have only listed the YAMAHA genuine products (mroe expensive stuff)soon I will be adding plastimo products, navman, garmin, lowrance and various other suppliers (the cheaper range of things :-) so our prices will be very competitive when all the products go online (all 4000)word "statistically" has been removed :-)

No Barry - YOU are mistaken!!!!!!

Here's an example copied from your website for a Yamaha 12L fuel tank. The EX VAT price is quoted as £39.59 and the VAT thereon as £8.40. That is 21% not 17.5%.

However, I realise now where your mistake is. Whoever programmed your system cannot do basic maths. You cannot get the VAT by subtracting 17.5% from the final price. You have to deduct (from basic arithmetic) 17.5/117.5 = 14.9% from the final price. As someone else also pointed out, VAT is 17.5% of the ex VAT price NOT 17.5% of the final price.

As calculated above, VAT should be just about 15% of the final price. So your checkout software IS charging VAT at 21% because of the programming error which, by coincidence, happens to be the VAT rate in the Republic of Ireland, hence my earlier confusion.

Although I appreciate this is probably a genuine error caused by someone's not paying attention in maths lessons at kindergarten, you are by default probably breaking trading laws by charging VAT at an incorrect level.

Chris

Edited by chris w