led lighting

Featured Posts

i have 12v halogen lights which are switched individually. if i put an led bulb in will it work or is there anything i still need to do?

I doubt it , the ones I have seen are a direct replacement. Worst that will happen is the fuse trip will trip

Alex

You can get led packages that are a direct replacment for there halogen counter parts, and these should work as you describe, yes.

- Also, if you search for 'led' on the forum you will find may past threads, and details and reviews of such prodcuts.

Daniel

If you are replacing a halogen bulb with an LED equivalent that is designed as a direct replacement, then it should work. However, boat electrical systems can be subject to some quite high voltage spikes that are not good for LEDs. As a result some LED suppliers include spike suppressors with their products.

You may wish to have a look at the following

http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/Important_LED_Info.htm

Peter

i have 12v halogen lights which are switched individually. if i put an led bulb in will it work or is there anything i still need to do?

The first thing you will have to do is get used to the differnt colour/warmth of the light and more than likely the drop in light output

we have a mixture of halogen (for the main cabin lighting) and LED (we have LED wall lights that are used most of the time) we also have some fancy under cupboard LED strips and a small bathroom LED that I leave on at bnight for the kids and the dogs to avoid any falls and back deck and cratch LEDs

be careful when you buy as there is cold and warm white, I find the warm ones comfortable and the cold ones just too cold

also be aware that the replacement bulbs/fittings should have built in over voltage protection (the ones I have had to have the components fitted when the bulbs were fitted but I think most current ones have it built in?) as without protection I think they dont like the high voltages such as when the batteries are charging

Some good advice above, may i suggest that you buy just one or two before total commitment, you may not like them.

A site to look at http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/ not used them myself (yet).

Thanks for that!

I had wondered where to get these having seen them on a TV program. They cost a bob or two don't they?

Perhaps try one and see if I like the light first!

Yes there are direct replacement LED lights for halogen (low voltage 12V) bulbs, however the original halogen will work either way round, the LED variety are clearly labelled + and -, I don't think they will blow if you put them in wrong way round, they just won't work.

The first thing you will have to do is get used to the differnt colour/warmth of the light and more than likely the drop in light output

we have a mixture of halogen (for the main cabin lighting) and LED (we have LED wall lights that are used most of the time)

Hi Lol

There dont seem to be many LED wall lights about - can you say where you bought them from?

Hi Lol

There dont seem to be many LED wall lights about - can you say where you bought them from?

HI

IN THE PROCESS OF FINSHING A SAILAWAY PROJECT, HAVE GONE DOWN THE LED LIGHT PATH ,TRIED MANY DIFFERENT LED LIGHT WITH LITTLE SUCCESS.

FINALLY FOUND A CARAVAN SUPPLIER WITH GREAT CHOICES, TRY........WWW.CAKTANKS.CO.UK......TEL 0870 757 2324

THEY WILL PROVIDE CATALOGUE

REGARDS

BEAR

Edited by bear

Some good advice above, may i suggest that you buy just one or two before total commitment, you may not like them.

A site to look at http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/ not used them myself (yet).

We have tried a couple of the 30v LED Ultraleds, as replacements in our individually switched downlighters , after 2 months use (and a couple of initial problems which resulted in quick replacements) I am now looking to get 10 more LEDs from Ultraleds. In my opinion the warm LEDs give around 70% light of a 10w Halogen. The cold LEDs give 80%. Both consume 1w, so consume just one tenth of the power of a halogen. We have decided we prefer the cold LEDs, but as said, I would also suggest getting one of each and deciding which you prefer. The 30v LEDs are suitable for 12v and 24v systems, I have seen a 31v charge with no problems so far.

The other good point about the LEDs is that they are much cooler running. Some of our halogen downlighters have burnt reflectors, which could be dangerous if the reflector was close to a combustible material (wood, some insulations etc).

Ian

Elessina

Yes there are direct replacement LED lights for halogen (low voltage 12V) bulbs, however the original halogen will work either way round, the LED variety are clearly labelled + and -, I don't think they will blow if you put them in wrong way round, they just won't work.

Most will work either way round nowadays. They incorporate a bridge rectifier in the circuit so that polarity is unimportant.

Chris

Hi Lol

we got ours at Crick last year from Midland Chandlers but they were Halogen wall lights which we than fitted warm white LED lamps to, i am really pleased with them

they also swivel 180degrees so you can either use them for reading or facing upward to light the ceiling for a warm general backlight

IKEA sell lots of uplighter and other wall fittings that take GU5.3 MR16 halogens that can be replaced with LED

But don't they have built in transformers to make them run on 240v rather than 12v? I'd be concerned that I'd f*ck up rejigging the wiring to make them work on 12v.

But don't they have built in transformers to make them run on 240v rather than 12v? I'd be concerned that I'd f*ck up rejigging the wiring to make them work on 12v.

Once the transformer is removed (a couple of screws, some are separate units), you're left with 2 wires which don't mind which way they go. The spotlights they do are particularly easy to adapt.

Once the transformer is removed (a couple of screws, some are separate units), you're left with 2 wires which don't mind which way they go. The spotlights they do are particularly easy to adapt.

Really? Is it that simple? And it doesn't matter which is pos and which is neg?

Really? Is it that simple? And it doesn't matter which is pos and which is neg?

Exactly so. Make sure they use 12V halogen bulbs and you can take out most of the rest.

For some bizarre reason the 240V spotlights in IKEA seem to be better designed and made but I have not found a 12V LED replacement bulb for these known as GU10 (does anyone know of one?) I guess the potential for confusion and a small 'phuttt' creams those Health and Safety jeans.