Roof Top Gardening

Hobart

Featured Posts

Hello

We had some nice onions last year (even thought a duck made a nest among them for most of the summer), and some good lettuce. But I was hoping to get a bit more adventurous this year, with a roof full of productive tubs and boxes.

My main questions are:

1. What to plant

2. When

3. In what

4. How to look after them

Personally, I'll be opting for organic and peat free, but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

neil.

Hello

We had some nice onions last year (even thought a duck made a nest among them for most of the summer), and some good lettuce. But I was hoping to get a bit more adventurous this year, with a roof full of productive tubs and boxes.

My main questions are:

1. What to plant

2. When

3. In what

4. How to look after them

Personally, I'll be opting for organic and peat free, but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

neil.

Courgettes proved interesting, runner beans, lettuce. Carrots wern't succesful due to lack of depth.

Sue

Courgettes proved interesting, runner beans, lettuce. Carrots wern't succesful due to lack of depth.

Sue

Perhaps deeper containers next time :rolleyes: I've always found carrots liked sand too. I usually have a crack at the usual herbs plus tomatoes as a bush plant in containers. My rule of thumb is that I'll try anything that's expensive or can't be bought at the farm shop on the way home from school.

Shep

We are going to be living aboard shortly, I am hoping to keep the roof free for bikes and a canoe :rolleyes: instead of growing our own, I am going to introduce my son to the ancient art of "scrumping" whatever is in season along the way. Is this a common practice nowadays ? or is it a forgotten art?

Gary

We are going to be living aboard shortly, I am hoping to keep the roof free for bikes and a canoe :rolleyes: instead of growing our own, I am going to introduce my son to the ancient art of "scrumping" whatever is in season along the way. Is this a common practice nowadays ? or is it a forgotten art?

Gary

Yes but the buckshot still hurts.

I think it's called 'wick watering' by gardeners - it's surprising how much water plants will draw up and with an ample supply in the canal, plants should romp away.

here's a bit about it: clicky

One idea I thought about if I ever got onto water was to have a pontoon garden beside the boat, with water being wicked up from underneath. Anyone tried anything like this? I'm sure there are a thousand complications I haven't thought of.

I had quite a garden going on the top of our boat, but found it very hard to keep watered enough, even when surrounded by the stuf. Got rid. Have now got the usual herbs as most don,t mind hot dry conditions. Also tried the hanging basket tomato last year. Planted in the well deck in large container, it grew very large and bush like, and if opened the locks too quick got free watering to. :o

instead of growing our own, I am going to introduce my son to the ancient art of "scrumping" whatever is in season along the way

Do you mean theft? - if so, why not say that you intend to teach your son to steal stuff along the way.

One idea I thought about if I ever got onto water was to have a pontoon garden beside the boat, with water being wicked up from underneath. Anyone tried anything like this? I'm sure there are a thousand complications I haven't thought of.

Have you thought about bridge holes?

I've had good success in growbags with spring onions, spinach beet and lettuce. Going to try some potatoes (in deep containers) and courgettes, more greens etc. this summer. Keep us informed with what works, and we'll soon come up with boat perfect gardening plans. :o

We didn't get the boat till June so planting was a late affair last year. But we harvested from our rooftop pots wild strawberries, chillies and numerous herbs through till November.

(And of course some of the herbs are still going strong)

When I had a windswept balcony flat in Brighton many moons ago, I grew Tumbler tomatoes in hanging baskets and they did very well. So I hope to do some of those next year on the boat, plus some rocket.