Lock Entrance

enigma

Featured Posts

Which is the most difficult lock entrance?

Here is Gloucester Lock entrance from the River Severn.

Gloucester%20Lock.jpg

The river flows down stream towards the lock then turns right just before the entrance. If the gates are closed you have to stop the boat when travelling down stream then tie up on the left hand wall. Not an easy task.

Does anyone know a more difficult lock entry? :)

Does anyone know a more difficult lock entry?  :)

Coming out of Tarleton sealock is a bit of a bugger, it exaclty the same layout as gloucester, when you come out and the tide is on the flood (going back up the river) - as you come out it grabs the bow as swings it round up river into the opposite bank while the stern is still in the lock.

Daniel

yeah, here's one for you, approaching lock no.94 Woolhampton lock, Kennet & Avon. This is heading towards Bath. As you negociate the swing bridge, you will see the Rowbarge PH on your left, you have to put a bit of power on and aim for the right hand corner of lock chamber, as there is a very strongside stream coming at you from your right. Top tip, set lock before operating swing bridge, then go for a straight run in. Any cars waiting.... tough, just dof ya hat and carry on! :)

I nominate Keadby Lock on the lower Trent. In the old days there used to be coasters either side of the lock, but the upstream wharf is only used these days.

KeadbyLock_Small.jpg

It is on the outside of a large sweeping corner, tidal flow of 4mph during springs, poor outside moorings, and perpendicular to the river. The lock is near the shed in front of the coaster at the right of the image.

I also know a lot of people have some problems with Selby lock, but at least the walls are clear.

Cheers,

Mike

---

Michael Askin

http://shoestring.zapto.org/

Another good one is the entrance into Portishead marina from the Severn, you will be running with the tide, so you have to get it right first time or..... your out to sea! Does help having a Pilot on board, he will make sure you get it right and avoid the sand bank on the left of the approach. :)

The River WEy has a number of difficult locks

Weybridge Town Lock is a 90 degree turn under a bridge and directly into the lock.

Sometimes people turn into the lock whilst a boat is coming out. It's real fun with a 70 footer.

THe other one is Bowers Lock which is hidden round a corner. You go along and see bollards on your starboard side but no lock and a small bridge in front of you no boat could get down.

Then you are too far past it to see that the lock is on the port side....youch

Scrapey Scrapey paintwork.

Oh and then there is Coxes lock which has a very powerful weir stream accross its front as does Papercourt lock, these require you to blast your way through and then slap it in reverse to have any hope of not smacking the lock gates (70 footers!).

Actually, most of the River Wey Navigation is quite tricky.

Even the first lock with a 70 footer is difficult as it turns about 45 degrees in quite a small channel. So if you don't hug the side as you go round you smack your bow.

I nominate Alrewas lock on the river trent

BMEre55.jpg

As you can see in the foreground the main channel meets the canal then another 50yards further on (just next to the lock) a smaller faster flowing channel enters. Can be a pain if the trent is in flood.

Coming out of Tarleton sealock is a bit of a bugger, it exaclty the same layout as gloucester, when you come out and the tide is on the flood (going back up the river) - as you come out it grabs the bow as swings it round up river into the opposite bank while the stern is still in the lock.

Daniel

I found it quite funny to watch the boats get dragged away as soon as they stuck their bows out....

Well I did until it was our turn :closedeyes: lol

John, just mentioned the Shroppie on a different thread.. so what about it? Most of its locks can be very difficult in ascending, especially the one just above the Shroppie Fly (no.12) and the bottom two of the Tyrley locks. Much worse than the Llangollen!

I know i'm just being weird and picky!

BUT do you think Liam that you could try to cut out the LOL as for one LOL is meant for text/messenger type speak and for two many people (i remember a thread from before) don't actualy know what it means!!

Thanks

Sam

I know i'm just being weird and picky!

BUT do you think Liam that you could try to cut out the LOL as for one LOL is meant for text/messenger type speak and for two many people (i remember a thread from before) don't actualy know what it means!!

Thanks

Sam

lotsa love or laugh out loud depending on context. I've seen it used on other forums too...

lol

(couldn't resist) :(

Its laugh out loud but i just think that this isn't really the place to use text speak - spellings are different eg: comumer (missed out S) but text speak can get a wee bit anoying!

John, just mentioned the Shroppie on a different thread.. so what about it? Most of its locks can be very difficult in ascending, especially the one just above the Shroppie Fly (no.12) and the bottom two of the Tyrley locks. Much worse than the Llangollen!

Last week I came upon someone stuck solid half way in the bottom Hurleston Junction lock.

Not a difficult lock just a fat boat and for some reason he'd gone in stern first

For me, one of the hardest locks that I have gone through is on the Lapworth Locks, North Stratford Canal. I can't remember the lock number, but its towards the top of the flight, as the lock pound turns around a corner. I was in a 66ft boat (brand new - was taking it to a show) and I couldn't fit around the corner without bumping it around the edge of the pound. Should have seen the look on the face of the owner :P

Jon