Horn

Byeckerslike

Featured Posts

If you sounded two long blasts you were indicating an overtaking manoeurve. ie. two ships in line, one about to overtake the other. So perhaps the other boat wrongly assumed you knew the correct sound signal and were indeed overtaking another boat.

The correct sound signal should have been a single long blast. This indicates you are approaching a blind bend

HERE is the correct manoeuvering signals as per the Col regs.

I think it would be a good idea for all boaters to know the Col Regs and use the sound signals correctly. If it helps, I always remember the word SPA for the short blasts.

1 short blast - turning to Starboard

2 short blast - turning to Port

3 short blast - I'm going Astern

5 short blasts is easy. I don't understand your intentions ! Normally used by larger vessels to indicate to the smaller ones " get out of my bl**dy way"

I should explain further...... I did indeed give two separate long blasts, each separated by a longish interval 15 - 20 seconds. The point that I was making is that I have yet to hear another narrowboat sound it's horn, even in moments of possible danger, due to blind holes etc.

I have some experience of narrowboating but maybe you can tell me, how do you stop a narrowboat 'suddenly' :D

When we did the RYA helmsman's course in the autumn, one of the exercises was to stop the boat quickly (and from a much higher speed than you'd normally be travelling at). I was very surprised just how quickly you can stop a narrowboat, certainly within its own length, if you give it enough reverse. Of course you never know which direction you'll end up facing (although when I did it, I managed to keep the boat dead straight!)

On the horn issue, there always seem to be plenty of people giving a good blast on the horn at Napton Junction. We always do, and occasionally get an answer. Interestingly, the local car drivers using the canal bridges near Napton all know to do two blasts, so they can tell whether it's a car or a boat.

As a PC my experience is that boats that sound there horn when aproaching a bridge on a blind bend are saying "I am coming through this bridge everyone else please wait!!" If you are the boat coming in the other direction and happen to be allready lined up and nearest the bridge the boat that sounded the horn will asume that you should have waited on the basis "I sounded my horn why did you not stop!!!"

Just aproach blind bridges slowly and be prepared to stop suddenly!!!!

wish i could stop suddenly - I'd be moored up in no time!

anyone expected to wait (just because another boat blew its horn and was furthest from the bridge) isnt on. The boat nearest to the bridge should have priority and in this case use of the horn has to be discounted as a means of gaining right of way

Edited by fender

anyone expected to wait (just because another boat blew its horn and was furthest from the bridge) isnt on. The boat nearest to the bridge should have priority and in this case use of the horn has to be discounted as a means of gaining right of way

To me, all the horn warning before a blind bridge hole/corner/junction means is just that. Its a warning.

It says......

I AM HERE......

(just as it means in the highway code) It in no way claims right of passage or anything else.

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Surely if you aproach blind bridge slowly stopping suddenly should be no problem!! Maybe not being able to stop explains why I see so many boats mooring selfishly when there is a gap of 150 ft enough room for 2 boats to moor, the space is taken by 1 boat mooring in the middle!!

Yes indeed - all very sensible. We all enjoy the humour that generally runs through this forum but we also need to remember that boating is a serious business and the various rules, regulations and guides are provided for our safety. The subject of sounding horns was covered extensively on this forum just over a year ago.

Click here to see the relevant posts.

The general inland waterway code is:

1 blast = going to the right

2 blasts = going to the left

3 blasts = I’m trying to stop or go backwards

4 blasts – pause – 1 blast = turning round to the right

4 blasts – pause – 2 blasts = turning round to the left

1 long blast + 2 short blasts = I can’t manoeuvre

1 extra long blast = warning at tunnels, blind bends and junctions

It is the duty of every skipper to understand these (or have them readily to hand) so as to avoid potentially dangerous misunderstandings - if there is a serious injury or fatality because the person in charge of a vessel ignored such signals, claiming that you do not understand them or that you never use them would not be an effective defence.

I would expect any sensible person in charge of a boat on the inland waterways to be familiar with the contents of the 'Boaters Handbook' or the Royal Yachting Association publication 'Inland Waterways Handbook' which is issued to boaters taking the Inland Waterways Helmsman's Course.

The 'Boaters Handbook' can be downloaded here in PDF.

Edited by NB Alnwick

It says......

I AM HERE......

It in no way claims right of passage or anything else.

The big problem is the majority of use the motor horn is agressive. Many motorists have been on the recieving end of GET OUT OF MY WAY, or YOU STUPID B******D type of horn signals and have come to believe that is its meaning. It isn't. Of course this understanding of it transfers to the cut.

Think of it as I AM HERE and you won't have a problem.

I think a big part of the problem is that many newbie boaters come straight from driving road vehicles

to inland craft.

This brings that many bring their "road heads" with them.

Your description of using a horn aggressively is just an example of this.

I believe that boaters that have sailing or coastal experience and come from that to inland cruising

have a different approach. There the mindset is that the horn and horn signals are to make others aware of your

presence and to signal intent.

It makes you wonder if some form of introductory induction course to boats for newbies would be a good idea.

I believe that communicating the right attitude is just as important as technical handling skills.

I've seen many boaters who wield quite large steel boats like they're weapons, instead of cruising

defensively and reading the waterway as far ahead as can be seen.

Edited by NB Willawaw

Your description of using a horn aggressively is just an example of this.

Its not how so much how you use a horn signal, more how you percieve another's signal. If you return the warning with one of your own it replies SO AM I to his I AM HERE, cancelling out any thoughts that the way might be clear.....

When approaching blind bridge:

... --- -.. / --- ..-. ..-.

I prefer:

... .... .. -

In horn signals it translates roughly as "I have engaged reverse gear, I cannot manoevre, I need to pass you on the wrong side, GET OUT OF THE WAY"

It's different in morse of course

Its not how so much how you use a horn signal, more how you percieve another's signal. If you return the warning with one of your own it replies SO AM I to his I AM HERE, cancelling out any thoughts that the way might be clear.....

Very true,

But if a horn blastee gets a reply from another boat, at least the blastee is forewarned that there is indeed another boat approaching from the opposite direction. At the end of the day, knowledge is everything!

To me, all the horn warning before a blind bridge hole/corner/junction means is just that. Its a warning.

It says......

I AM HERE......

(just as it means in the highway code) It in no way claims right of passage or anything else.

Agreed.

According to the list of sound signals I have, the horn should be sounded for one long blast (about 4 secs) for a blind bend. I use this signal when I leave the canal and enter the tidal Thames just in case something's coming, although it's also nice to have someone standing on the bow deck who can tell me what's going on ahead. If your engine's too loud to hear them shout, agree on some hand signals beforehand.