D. Ingham & Son Butchers

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, IanD said:

I have a photo somewhere of a butcher's window in Asakusa with a gorgeous piece of Kobe beef weighing several kilograms, and at first I though they'd mistakenly put an extra zero in the price because it cost rather more than my return airfare to Japan... 🙂 

I had a similar experience a year or so ago but with vehicles. I was looking at some VWs for sale on a second hand car lot and saw quite a smart-looking VW camper for £7,995 in the windscreen. I though blimey that's cheap! Then I looked again, and it was actually £79,995.

I use to work for Birds Eye foods and the definition of meat is interesting as was the contents of the sausages . A peace of  skin from the pork as thick as a sheet of brown paper removed by machine and discarded, the rest was used as meat 

19 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I use to work for Birds Eye foods and the definition of meat is interesting as was the contents of the sausages . A peace of  skin from the pork as thick as a sheet of brown paper removed by machine and discarded, the rest was used as meat 

You are the real Captain Birds Eye

10 minutes ago, Tonka said:

You are the real Captain Birds Eye

Called that twice last week. I don't think I would call a stranger that, Often get it from kids. I don't normally wear the captains hat but its useful in bright sun, remember that big blob in the sky? I do however war a Breton cap, warm and dry.

On 27/04/2024 at 17:16, Richard T said:

The fishmongers in Nantwich was also very good.

Hmm. We bought some "dressed crab" there last summer. When I went to use it, the shell it was in was a plastic replica. Quite what was wrong with it's original jacket it had to come out of in the first place I fail to grasp. Didn't smell too fresh either, so it went in the bin. Maybe the off crab was an off day (everyone can have those, although it's pretty dodgy with shellfish) but the plastic crab shell was unforgivable for me and I won't be going back.

• Horror 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Hmm. We bought some "dressed crab" there last summer. When I went to use it, the shell it was in was a plastic replica. Quite what was wrong with it's original jacket it had to come out of in the first place I fail to grasp. Didn't smell too fresh either, so it went in the bin. Maybe the off crab was an off day (everyone can have those, although it's pretty dodgy with shellfish) but the plastic crab shell was unforgivable for me and I won't be going back.

I never buy dressed crab, unless I can see it is being prepared from fresh crabs. Crabmeat in tins/bulk factory processed is cheap and my strong suspicion with dressed crab is that the temptation to bulk the meat out with processed crabmeat must be irresistible in the back room where nobody sees. Given the price of the dressed crabs, it’s a tempting profit item. 
the wagyu from the butcher in audlem is good stuff. Bought loads of it when they were doing a promotion a few years back..

Edited by Tigerr

2 hours ago, Tigerr said:

I never buy dressed crab, unless I can see it is being prepared from fresh crabs. Crabmeat in tins/bulk factory processed is cheap and my strong suspicion with dressed crab is that the temptation to bulk the meat out with processed crabmeat must be irresistible in the back room where nobody sees. Given the price of the dressed crabs, it’s a tempting profit item. 
the wagyu from the butcher in audlem is good stuff. Bought loads of it when they were doing a promotion a few years back..

I'm sure it is good stuff, but if you could afford it then it's not "the real thing" -- and not just because it's not from Japan, the "Wagyu" label in the UK (unlike in Japan) doesn't mean what people think it does...

https://www.specialityfoodmagazine.com/food-and-drink/trend-watch-everything-you-need-to-know-about-british-wagyu-beef

"Customers who have heard of wagyu beef - by no means everyone - will tell you that the cows are treated to massage, beer and music, the meat is mouth-wateringly tender and the steaks are eye-poppingly expensive. They’re not wrong about the cost. At Malloy’s craft butchers in Cambridgeshire, the highest grade of Japanese wagyu fillet steak – A5 - changes hands at £295 a kilo. Yet, at Christmas, discounter Aldi was offering wagyu beef tomahawk steaks for £24/kilo - a tenth of the price. This meat isn’t Japanese but British.

When they discovered that an injection of wagyu genetics into native breeds worked wonders for eating quality, British beef producers got busy, breeding and cross-breeding.

The arrival of British Wagyu allows ordinary mortals to taste a bit of the high life, doesn’t it?

Yes, and another surprising advantage is a more approachable eating experience. Not everyone wants super-soft beef that melts on the tongue, particularly if they are used to a meatier texture. Beef producer Chris Wilkinson breeds wagyu-Aberdeen Angus crosses. He says, “The buttery taste of a very well marbled Japanese Wagyu steak (say an A5) can be too much for the European palate.

In his view, wagyu cross-bred with dairy cattle – which is most British Wagyu because it’s cheaper to produce – may be less consistent. "

Edited by IanD

2 hours ago, Tigerr said:

I never buy dressed crab, unless I can see it is being prepared from fresh crabs.

An unlikely scenario in Nantwich, I'll grant you! The plastic shell was a real shocker though - a crab comes with a natural one, and had I noticed before buying I'd certainly not have bought it for the uncertainty of origin reasons you go on to suggest. Not what should be expected from a fishmonger worthy of a recommendation, imho.

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

You do have to be careful with fishy stuff, nearly as bad as dodgy rice!!

We nip up to New Quay and get stuff straight off the little fishing boat when he comes in, or from the tiny shop on the quay where the crab are dressed before your eyes having just been landed. We also get fresh delivery straight to the door from bloke who has been delivering local fish for fifty years. Plastic shells sounds about as bad as it's possible to be 😱