Interior window gutter - condensation tray?

Featured Posts

The vent looks to me as if it is on the base of the glazing channel, if this were not so you should be able to see the cabin side through it. That suggest it is a drain for the glazing channel, but how it worked is beyond me. Maybe there was once a large rubber glazing seal instead of mastic, but how that worked with the vent I have no idea.

If there was a drip channel as you keep on about, then there would have t be holes in the existing frame vertical, so water could escape from the channel into the glazing channel, under the glass, and out of the vent. There are no such holes, so a drip channel would just fill up and overflow - as the drip channel on other windows do when the glass drops or moss/dirt blocks the holes.

I think that the blue glue once secured a wooden trim piece and has nothing to do with a drip channel. It runs up the vertical side of the frame, where there is no need for a drip channel.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

The vent looks to me as if it is on the base of the glazing channel, if this were not so you should be able to see the cabin side through it. That suggest it is a drain for the glazing channel, but how it worked is beyond me. Maybe there was once a large rubber glazing seal instead of mastic, but how that worked with the vent I have no idea.

If there was a drip channel as you keep on about, then there would have t be holes in the existing frame vertical, so water could escape from the channel into the glazing channel, under the glass, and out of the vent. There are no such holes, so a drip channel would just fill up and overflow - as the drip channel on other windows do when the glass drops or moss/dirt blocks the holes.

I think that the blue glue once secured a wooden trim piece and has nothing to do with a drip channel. It runs up the vertical side of the frame, where there is no need for a drip channel.

Don’t over-complicate this.  As I’ve said. It’s just a drain hole. Nothing more.  Not a particularly efficient design but it is what it is.  Very common design that’s been around forever. 

8 hours ago, truckcab79 said:

Don’t over-complicate this.  As I’ve said. It’s just a drain hole. Nothing more.  Not a particularly efficient design but it is what it is.  Very common design that’s been around forever. 

I have never said it was not a drain, but I read what the OP says and claims.

As you seem so sure that I have overcomplicated the OP's wish to fit another drain channel to replace the one he thinks was glued onto the frame, perhaps you would be good enough to explain to him how he can do this and how it will work to drain condensation through the existing drain. Of, and answer his original question and tell him what it is called and where to source it.

As you seem so sure about how this window works, perhaps you can explain how the glass was fitted and secured into such a wide frame channel, so the OP can have a go at recreating it if they want to.

In my view the OP is trying to modify hos frame to do something it was never designed to do.

43 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I have never said it was not a drain, but I read what the OP says and claims.

As you seem so sure that I have overcomplicated the OP's wish to fit another drain channel to replace the one he thinks was glued onto the frame, perhaps you would be good enough to explain to him how he can do this and how it will work to drain condensation through the existing drain. Of, and answer his original question and tell him what it is called and where to source it.

As you seem so sure about how this window works, perhaps you can explain how the glass was fitted and secured into such a wide frame channel, so the OP can have a go at recreating it if they want to.

In my view the OP is trying to modify hos frame to do something it was never designed to do.

I have no need to. I’ll leave the d1ck-swinging desire to answer every post to others on here. I was just answering the original question in so far as there isn’t a missing part and that slot is just a simple frame drain. If I don’t know something, I’d rather not continually post a load of ‘what-ifs’. As I’ve said before I find it best to answer if I know something and to read, learn and say nothing if I don’t.  

As you’ve asked though, anything is possible, but the work involved in being able to adapt that slot into some sort of useful drain channel unless you have the ability to fabricate and the skill and equipment to TIG weld ali aren’t worth the time involved. I’d either use it as it was intended and accept it doesn’t do much and find another way to deal with condensation, or stump up thousands for modern double glazed units.  

29 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

I have no need to. I’ll leave the d1ck-swinging desire to answer every post to others on here. I was just answering the original question in so far as there isn’t a missing part and that slot is just a simple frame drain. If I don’t know something, I’d rather not continually post a load of ‘what-ifs’. As I’ve said before I find it best to answer if I know something and to read, learn and say nothing if I don’t.  

As you’ve asked though, anything is possible, but the work involved in being able to adapt that slot into some sort of useful drain channel unless you have the ability to fabricate and the skill and equipment to TIG weld ali aren’t worth the time involved. I’d either use it as it was intended and accept it doesn’t do much and find another way to deal with condensation, or stump up thousands for modern double glazed units.  

Or a few hundred for a modern single glazed window that has a drain.

Or fit secondary double glazing, as described many times on here.

Interesting that you have swerved the OP's original question and told him much the same as I have, there was no drain channel on that window, and it is not practical for to DIY fit one. The difference is that I have tried to explain why, that you seem to have singularly failed to do

I have tried to explain this to the OP and answer his question. You dismiss my efforts of explanation as what-iffery, yet fail to give any explanation as to why the OP's supposition was incorrect and why his solution is not really practical. You just make a blank statement like "it is a simple drain" and walk away. That is not helpful to OPs who want to learn.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Or a few hundred for a modern single glazed window that has a drain.

Or fit secondary double glazing, as described many times on here.

Interesting that you have swerved the OP's original question and told him much the same as I have, there was no drain channel on that window, and it is not practical for to DIY fit one. The difference is that I have tried to explain why, that you seem to have singularly failed to do

I have tried to explain this to the OP and answer his question. You dismiss my efforts of explanation as what-iffery, yet fail to give any explanation as to why the OP's supposition was incorrect and why his solution is not really practical. You just make a blank statement like "it is a simple drain" and walk away. That is not helpful to OPs who want to learn.

You’d probably do better to walk away from the occasional thread 😂 but as I said I’m not here to compete in some sort of weird knowledge battle with you.  That’s just the sort of thing that makes many threads on here go off on a useless tangent.

I’ll leave it here because it adds nothing more.  Make sure you post a reply to make you feel superior though. 👍😉

• Unimpressed 2

4 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

This is how a window frame etc looks like if this helps .

there is no other drip  on this type of frame

Graham

Thanks, that is exactly the info the OP needs to understand his window construction. This is more or less as I suspected would be the case. I would also not be surprised if the glass has not dropped to the bottom of the frame rather than sit in the rubber section.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

Graham

IMG_0387.jpeg

The original rubber would have a couple of slots in the top to allow water to pass down below and out of the drains.

I don't have the boat anymore so can't do a picture😲

• Greenie 1

I would just like to add I must have made 100s of frames to fit to  police riot vans  etc  for some years .

then I moved   Jobs to working on bus and coach  body’s  including fitting and repairing  glass  etc for 31 years

Graham

6 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

The original rubber would have a couple of slots in the top to allow water to pass down below and out of the drains.

I don't have the boat anymore so can't do a picture😲

13 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

I would just like to add I must have made 100s of frames to fit to  police riot vans  etc  for some years .

then I moved   Jobs to working on bus and coach  body’s  including fitting and repairing  glass  etc for 31 years

Graham

Perfect answer from someone who knows what they’re talking about. Just what the forum needs. 

Many thanks. 

There is different types of rubber seals I’ve seen them with slots in the bottom of the rubber  so if water gets between the glass and rubber it drops into the channel below and out the slots out side

G

2 hours ago, jacko264 said:

Graham

IMG_0387.jpeg

If one pane slides past the other, there is an extra channel of course, which might be where some of the confusion lies.

1 hour ago, jacko264 said:

This is correct a example of this is a cab window on a double decker bus 

next to the driver

Assuming it is not a sliding window.

If the OP can get a length of suitable rubber glazing section, do you think he could cut slots in the inner face to provide drainage. I so do you think that he could use the waste in the bottom of the channel to hold the glass up a little and provide drainage to that slot.

Tony. It would be a big job to do as you say.

It would involve removing the frame from the boat  then splitting the frame it’s made in two parts  held by screws.

cleaning the glass etc  and getting the correct type of seal 

yes it could be done but a big job  if you don’t know what your doing

G

I have always chickened out and replaced the whole window.

I remember in my youth trying to reglaze caravan windows, very difficult and they were not toughened glass then either.

No, they weren't bull's eyes either!

Can I suggest you contact Caldwells Windows Wigan who manufacture this type of window. I bought some brush seals for the hoppers on these type of windows off them. They can probably supply the rubber trim that you are looking for

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Peugeot 106 said:

Can I suggest you contact Caldwells Windows Wigan who manufacture this type of window. I bought some brush seals for the hoppers on these type of windows off them. They can probably supply the rubber trim that you are looking for

Caldwell, Wesley Marine, Seals Direct.  Lots of options and all very helpful in my experience.  

• Greenie 1

Beware if you replace the whole windows. The radius at the bottom can look similar but when you try to fit them they are different. If this happens you may need to weld infill corner pieces to the boat. I only know this as I saw a wide beam having all its windows replaced. Despite being warned the owner purchased all the windows to the wrong radius. Luckily for him the fitter was also a welder…….