Yes its the Daily Mail, but its still news?

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

As you seem to want to discuss a different subject now, start a new thread on it. 

You can separate the issues, I can't. You know the saying - give unto Caesar...

3 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I can start a new thread on topics of my choosing. Can you?

Yes, of course I can. I choose this one, for now. I've been here for 12 years, I started one thread, possibly another, and that was about a yoghurt pot. 

Edited by Higgs

5 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Yes, of course I can. I choose this one, for now. I've been here for 12 years, I started one thread, possibly another, and that was about a yoghurt pot. 

Wasn't that on a food -forum ? where you were complaining that there was no legal requirement to pay extra for a pot to hold your Yoghurt, and that potted yoghurt should be the same price as 'loose' youghurt.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Wasn't that on a food -forum ? where you were complaining that there was no legal requirement to pay extra for a pot to hold your Yoghurt, and that potted yoghurt should be the same price as 'loose' youghurt.

Oh, yes, how silly of me. Can you put your dad on?

The idea of a payment per night to moor is surely a non starter other than at honeypot locations. How will it be policed? 

It will give rise to all sorts of games to avoid it. Sadly it may well see boaters use their boats less too. 

36 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

The idea of a payment per night to moor is surely a non starter other than at honeypot locations. How will it be policed? 

It will give rise to all sorts of games to avoid it. Sadly it may well see boaters use their boats less too. 

No, it's very simple. Anyone without a home mooring obviously moors on the towpath 365 days a year, and is billed accordingly. Anyone with a home mooring pays the equivalent of the local EOG fee, which covers mooring to CRT land for the same period. Sorted.

6 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

No, it's very simple. Anyone without a home mooring obviously moors on the towpath 365 days a year, and is billed accordingly. Anyone with a home mooring pays the equivalent of the local EOG fee, which covers mooring to CRT land for the same period. Sorted.

You pay for an exclusive mooring, not a 2,000 mile mooring anywhere on the cut.

13 minutes ago, Higgs said:

You pay for an exclusive mooring, not a 2,000 mile mooring anywhere on the cut.

It’s exclusive that night though…..it’s not like anyone else could moor there.

4 minutes ago, Paul C said:

It’s exclusive that night though…..it’s not like anyone else could moor there.

Exclusive is exclusive. A right to moor where no one else has a right to moor. It still doesn't extend contractually as a paid-for right to the 2,000 miles of the cut.

Edited by Higgs

3 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Exclusive is exclusive. A right to moor where no one else has a right to moor. It still doesn't extend contractually as a paid-for right to the 2,000 miles of the cut.

It looks like it did extend, at the start of the month. We’re now debating the rate.

1 minute ago, Paul C said:

It looks like it did extend, at the start of the month. We’re now debating the rate.

It extends to that right in some home-moorer's minds. How are you going to deal with the situation of moorers in marinas, who have no contract with CRT. Not even their licence is valid in the marina waters.

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Here’s me thinking that’s exactly why I pay for a license, 

Always considered paying a license covered mooring up, amongst other things,

As you say how will any further charging be policed?

• Greenie 1

Unless the charging of a suppliment is removed from CC'ers and the whole pricing is once again spread throughout, I see the present set up as ultimately shooting the boating community in the foot. 

Edited by Higgs

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

Unless the charging of a suppliment is removed from CC'ers and the whole pricing is once again spread throughout, I see the present set up as ultimately shooting the boating community in the foot. 

What boating community? There's no such thing.  You can't suddenly decide a bunch of people with entirely different, and often opposing, ideas as to what their boats are for, are a homogeneous community.

The vast majority of boat owners sit, like you did for years, in marinas and probably don't even know CCers exist, nor care. Most know nothing about EOG moorings, or the CC surcharge.

If the survey showed anything at all, it was that there is no "community". Active boaters are about the last remnant of a bunch of anarchistic individualists still at large in this country. Gods save us from "communities" and their self appointed leaders.

20 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

What boating community? There's no such thing.  You can't suddenly decide a bunch of people with entirely different, and often opposing, ideas as to what their boats are for, are a homogeneous community.

The vast majority of boat owners sit, like you did for years, in marinas and probably don't even know CCers exist, nor care. Most know nothing about EOG moorings, or the CC surcharge.

If the survey showed anything at all, it was that there is no "community". Active boaters are about the last remnant of a bunch of anarchistic individualists still at large in this country. Gods save us from "communities" and their self appointed leaders.

And there's no such thing as an end of garden mooring that would exclude you from being obliged to pay for your use of the canal system. It doesn't exist, but the suggested £20.00 a night mooring for you - a nice £140.00 a week for a little cruise. That'd rip right into your state pension.

Edited by Higgs

18 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Having seen what I’ve seen crossing London over the weekend, I’d say boaters’ communities do exist. 

Whether good or bad, positive or negative, like it or not, whatever.
In fact there’s probably quite a number of communities mingling together. 

It’s a proper eye opener down there. In many ways I like it. In other ways I don’t. 

Trouble with me and you Arthur we like our own space and wouldn’t dream of being in ‘the thick of it’ (for want of a better description) and neither would we (I think) want to be part of a community. 

Hackney Wick looks interesting enough to stop over for a week or so on my return journey. 
I think it was St Pancreas that looked interesting too. 

37 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Having seen what I’ve seen crossing London over the weekend, I’d say boaters’ communities do exist. 

Whether good or bad, positive or negative, like it or not, whatever.
In fact there’s probably quite a number of communities mingling together. 

It’s a proper eye opener down there. In many ways I like it. In other ways I don’t. 

Trouble with me and you Arthur we like our own space and wouldn’t dream of being in ‘the thick of it’ (for want of a better description) and neither would we (I think) want to be part of a community. 

Hackney Wick looks interesting enough to stop over for a week or so on my return journey. 
I think it was St Pancreas that looked interesting too. 

However the boater communities you're talking about are usually made up of a small subsection of the 35000 boaters on CRT waterways, with some interest in common (e.g. location, CMing...) which is not shared with most others or is even opposite to the majority view -- the NBTA being a perfect example.

And as usual, the noisy minorities like the NBTA get more attention than the quiet majority... 😞

Edited by IanD

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

However the boater communities you're talking about are usually made up of a small subsection of the 35000 boaters on CRT waterways, with some interest in common (e.g. location, CMing...) which is not shared with most others or is even opposite to the majority view -- the NBTA being a perfect example.

And as usual, the noisy minorities like the NBTA get more attention than the quiet majority... 😞

however,

small sub section or not they exist,

like them or not they exist

your view or my view doesn’t matter they exist,

and they would/will exist regardless of the NBTA,

there is an existence of boating communities and whether you or I belong is irrelevant,

whether you or I like it or agree with it matters not a jot, they exist,

11 minutes ago, Paul C said:

There are definitely boating communities but there isn't one unified (or even a vague majority view) boating community.

I can’t argue that one,

and I don’t expect there to be an all encompassing community 

but there are small communities that are unified,

38 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I can’t argue that one,

and I don’t expect there to be an all encompassing community 

but there are small communities that are unified,

Except they are not unified even with each other, many of the small vociferous communities (e.g. NBTA) have interests which are opposed to those of many other boaters, and there is certainly no overarching "boaters community" that speaks for the "silent majority".

And the NBTA claiming to represent boaters in general is being "economical with the truth" to say the least. OK, it's a lie, plain and simple... 😞

Edited by IanD