Masons P

Featured Posts

So there must be other midnight blue paint jobs with masonsP type I would like to hear from anyone who’s changed from masons, what did you use, what shade did you find to be a very close match. I’ve been looking down the epifanes and hmg routes, not too happy with craftmaster as it has too much of a purple hew

3 minutes ago, STIG said:

So there must be other midnight blue paint jobs with masonsP type I would like to hear from anyone who’s changed from masons, what did you use, what shade did you find to be a very close match. I’ve been looking down the epifanes and hmg routes, not too happy with craftmaster as it has too much of a purple hew

Do you have a tin, which should have the RAL or BS paint number, you can then get it made up anywhere that does paint mixing.

If not, try giving one of their distributors a call and ask them, OR, just buy another tin of the same :

CraftMaster say they do a 'Masons Midnight Blue' - is that the one you find too 'purple' ?

Masons - Blues – Craftmaster Paints Online Shop

Or - compare your colour to the attached colour chart (bear in mind the colour now will have faded and not be a true match to the original :

RAL Colour Chart Blue | RAL Colour Chart UK (ral-chart.co.uk)

4 minutes ago, STIG said:

I’ll have a closer look next week when I’m onboard 👍

If you don't have any of the original paint in a tin, it might be worth polishing some of the paintwork on your boat, to get an idea of its colour. For a visual comparison.

Edited by Higgs

There is a LOT of difference between the various Midnight Blues produced. Symphony standard midnight blue is different from the Symphony Midnight Blue Masons P type copy produced for us a few years ago.

Craftmaster MB is probably more like the MasonsP was.

29 minutes ago, STIG said:

Not directly applicable, but may be helpful. We had our boat painted in a Masons dark green, Then Masons got taken over and went off the market. I never found a decent match from an alternative supplier of notional Masons colour.  That is after cutting back and polishing to get back to close to the original colour.

I bit the bullet and chose the closest RAL/BS colour to what I wanted, luckily I was able to but a set of RAL & BS colour chips. So having got the RAL number, I used Johnnstons trade centre to mix to the number in their oil based gloss. I found Johnstons oil based paint was the easiest to apply and lay off compared with a number of others, including Craftsmaster.

38 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do you have a tin, which should have the RAL or BS paint number, you can then get it made up anywhere that does paint mixing.

If not, try giving one of their distributors a call and ask them, OR, just buy another tin of the same :

CraftMaster say they do a 'Masons Midnight Blue' - is that the one you find too 'purple' ?

Or - compare your colour to the attached colour chart (bear in mind the colour now will have faded and not be a true match to the original :

I’m not sure there will be a number on as it was mixed by Supertune automotive, they aren’t mixing anymore 

If you can get a flake off then HMG Coatings can match it, in a paint type of your choice (HMG are the manufacturers of Craftmaster for example).

If you do go down this route, I have always found HMG (South) in Andover to be far more helpful than headquarters in Manchester. I have bought a fair amount of paint from them over the years and they have always been happy to sort things out for me, even on small orders.

Alec

On 13/04/2024 at 09:20, Alan de Enfield said:

Hi Alan, my conclusion to all this after extensive searching, is the tin I have will be craftmaster `normal` range as it was bought off the shelf. I hadn`t realised they did a masons range, I will be pursuing this line.

Thankyou to all that contributed

• Greenie 1