SR2

Roxylass

Featured Posts

Should I hand crank the SR2 first to get the oil up to the cylinder heads or is this practice not necessary if you have a starter motor haven’t started the engine since October 

I just let mine turn over a few times on the starter. It gets left over winter until spring and starts ok, sometimes with a bit of a cough. Let it run slow a minute or two before revving up to get the charging light out.

It would be a good idea to get the oil circulating before starting, but given the indestructability of the SR it is not vital.

The easy way is to lift the decompressors and turn it over on the starter.  If no starter, add extra Weetabix to breakfast!

N

12 minutes ago, BEngo said:

It would be a good idea to get the oil circulating before starting, but given the indestructability of the SR it is not vital.

The easy way is to lift the decompressors and turn it over on the starter.  If no starter, add extra Weetabix to breakfast!

N

Its also kinder to your starter battery to spin the motor up with the decompressor levers engaged, and drop them after 10 seconds or so to start the engine.

When starting in cold weather with a battery known to be of limited capacity, I have turned the engine over a couple of hundred turns on the handle to get everything moving and lubricated, so I can make use of the all available battery energy to get the damn thing started!