Cash for used Leisure Batteries?

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Yes. That's why the colloquial expression for taking stuff to the scrapyard is "weighing it in".

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Around here they dont weigh them, just price per battery and thats the one who gives the best price

;)

In the scenario I was commenting on the story is that they do not weigh them. This is why I thought they might measure them. 

Or maybe it is based on the sticker which says how many amp hours they are. Curious. 

Maybe it is an East Anglia thing :rolleyes:

Or maybe its just 'I will give ye 50p for de battery don't ya know whatever de size'. 

I once weighed in half a dozen leisure batteries and the chap at the scrapyard pressed the wrong button on the computer.

I genuinely didn't notice at the time that he'd selected "Lead" rather than "Lead acid batteries."

Then I looked at my bank balance a few days later ... 

• Greenie 1

Posted (edited)

Just back from Daventry Non Ferrous Metals. Nice people and a very slick operation.

My batteries were duly weighed and I got 44p a kilo (current rate is £440 per tonne) in my case that was £32 odd in total for my three 110amp batteries. Needed to show my driving licence and gave my bank details, they gave me an official ‘duty of care’ transfer note as a receipt. They promised the money would be in my account within the hour and it was. 

A bit of a bonus was that I had an old tumble drier in the boot that I was taking to the tip and I just casually said ‘I don’t suppose you can take this thing can you’? They did and gave me £1.90 for that too - best of all it saved me a trip to the tip!

Edited by Withywindle
  • Greenie 2