Birmingham trip boats

Featured Posts

Got to Birmingham no drama moored gas st close to mailbox no drama .only issue two trip boats zooming past at speed racing to turn first no thought for moored board tried to speak to the skippers got the finger ....

World apart those who drive boats for a profession and those who are a professional skipper!!!!!!!

Please name the trip boats involved, 😃

I wouldn’t want the ones Im thinking of being tarred with same brush. 
Brindley Crusiers are ok and the Party boats are ok. 
Don’t forget it’s still a bit of a commercial waterway there. 

If you want the ideal spot for the evening go moor up by the Arena, best place for your solar. 

I find these bits the best places to moor,

Very quite in the evening,

might be busy if a concert is on but only for a short period and a harmless crowd,

IMG_0329.jpeg

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Annie cariad said:

Got to Birmingham no drama moored gas st close to mailbox no drama .only issue two trip boats zooming past at speed racing to turn first no thought for moored board tried to speak to the skippers got the finger ....

World apart those who drive boats for a profession and those who are a professional skipper!!!!!!!

You have a cassette loo,lots of bridges....

Saying that, tie up properly, not like RBS....🤪

Edited by matty40s

On 07/03/2024 at 15:35, Annie cariad said:

The canal is quite deep there so whilst those trip boats do seem to pass fairly quickly, it has never been an issue for us. Please bear in mind that the canals are a transport system and it is up to you to moor as best you can, rather than expecting everyone else to pass extremely slowly so that a badly-tied up boat doesn't move.

We often see badly tied up boats with for example, ropes at roughly 90degrees to the boat/bank. Ropes quite loose so that the moored boat can "pick up speed" prior to the ropes snatching tight.

Of course we weren't there to see how your boat was tied up nor how fast the trip boats were moving, but bearing in mind we have often moored there and never had a problem - in fact I can't remember the last time we had any issues with a boat passing too fast - my suspicion is that you could tie your boat up better. Sorry if you don't like the sound of that but sometimes one has to be cruel to be kind!

Please ensure your ropes are tight and not at right angles. As so often is the case, we find the rings in Birmingham at the wrong distance apart so if we just use 2 lines then the boat is not really restrained in the fore/aft direction, which is the main way the boat wants to move when another boat passes. You have to use 3 lines, with a line going both fore and aft from either the front or the back. This holds the boat stationary in the fore/aft direction. Then you just need one line at the other end to keep the boat into the side.

NEVER use the centre line to tie you boat up, this just makes it heel alarmingly.

Once you are moored properly you will find that passing boats are not a problem however fast they go (within reason) and your life will be much more relaxing!

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 2

I’m hoping the OP comes back and reports they’ve had a good visit to Brum,

being given the finger from the driver of a trip boat ain’t good, it’s not the best welcome to Brum. 

Yeah if someone’s moored up badly it is their own fault but trip boat drivers should know better. I don’t mean they should slow down but they shouldn’t be giving the finger but should be shrugging it off instead.

Maybe turning their back would be best. 

Mind, with the paddle boarders, the canoes, the GoBoats, Narrowboats etc they get themselves right wound up. 

16 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I’m hoping the OP comes back and reports they’ve had a good visit to Brum,

being given the finger from the driver of a trip boat ain’t good, it’s not the best welcome to Brum. 

Yeah if someone’s moored up badly it is their own fault but trip boat drivers should know better. I don’t mean they should slow down but they shouldn’t be giving the finger but should be shrugging it off instead.

Maybe turning their back would be best. 

Mind, with the paddle boarders, the canoes, the GoBoats, Narrowboats etc they get themselves right wound up. 

We are of course only hearing one side of the story and not the words or demeanour of the OP’s communication with the trip boat skipper. Personally I think that if abuse is hurled at a passing boat, it is not too unreasonable to respond in kind, it is just human nature, although of course I have no idea if this relates to the OP’s communication or not and certainly am not intending to make any accusations.

It is an annoying feature of modern life that people feel empowered to rudely shout orders to passers by - but only if they can do so without fear of physical retaliation by being isolated from the other party - eg by water, vehicle etc.

Once again I will make it clear that I am not accusing the OP of bad behaviour, I am just commenting on the general situation.

Hi 

Thanks for the mooring advise /master class LOL 

Had our 4days in Brum centre moved on now at minworth top lock for the night.

Great passage down farmers bridge and Aston . Loved the catacombs at snow hill ,art work etc 

Overall good experience in Birmingham lunch at the Ivy ,beers at the canal side pub gas st Basin, made bacon sarnies and shared with the three st people collecting change close to mailbox and boat. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 3

16 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Not a location I would choose to stop overnight.

Me neither!

37 minutes ago, Annie cariad said:

Hi 

Thanks for the mooring advise /master class LOL 

Had our 4days in Brum centre moved on now at minworth top lock for the night.

Great passage down farmers bridge and Aston . Loved the catacombs at snow hill ,art work etc 

Overall good experience in Birmingham lunch at the Ivy ,beers at the canal side pub gas st Basin, made bacon sarnies and shared with the three st people collecting change close to mailbox and boat. 

Glad you enjoyed it, and without wanting to just state the obvious, whilst the trip boats do get a rock on, if you are well tied to the bollards with your ropes tight then you should not move.

I’d like to know what the Tyburn House is like,

when I’d just about met legal age for drinking I drank in the Castle Vale pubs,

notorious in the 80’s for being violent estate pubs, 

I think the Tyburn might be the last pub out of them still going,

the others all shut down long ago, 

the Boat is my normal stop gap pub,

either there or Curdworth tunnel. 

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer