Tunnel Bands

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

Fire is interesting. Bulkhead mounted is a good approach but I wonder if there is some artistic licence in that image. 

Looks a bit like a Jotul but they are much too big and also mounted on legs. 

Intriguing if it is an actual fire. Do any still exist? 

I seem to recall there was an incident where two young girls were poisoned by carbon monoxide from a fire in the front cabin, a third survived. 
Thereafter the authorities banned stoves in the front cabin. I think this was in the 1930's, I stand correction.

On 04/03/2024 at 17:00, Ray T said:

I seem to recall there was an incident where two young girls were poisoned by carbon monoxide from a fire in the front cabin, a third survived. 
Thereafter the authorities banned stoves in the front cabin. I think this was in the 1930's, I stand correction.

I seem to remember that the surviving girl was Maureen Smith, Dannys adopted daughter. However I may have that wrong, I don't know why it just sprung into my mind , when I read the statement.  I have recent memory of the tale coming via a different route than Danny relating it to me many years ago.

Not sure about front cabin stoves being banned, as its post 1929 when the Public health act was last amended, I may have that wrong too. Maybe it was done a different way, rather than the act.

On 04/03/2024 at 14:18, springy said:

I know them as a "Bottle Stove" commonly used in BCN day boat cabins - Birchills at BCLM has one.

springy

One of those items which was once completely commonplace and now extremely rare. I only know of three left - the last one in use was on Caggy, visible in the linked video both near the beginning and again at 5:50. I believe the current owners removed it on safety grounds.

Alec

The stove in the illustration of the bow cabin, looks to be a typical bottle stove, complete with draw plate, lots of these were in black country boat day cabins, so I would image they would also be typically used in a bow cabin, as one only needed it to provide heat not cooking. There was one like this on Gifford once of a day, maybe now as well, always say "you do not know!" When we use to boat regularly with Gifford in the mid 70's it had a nice stove in the bow cabin, kept you warm on a cold autumn night.
As to having bow cabins, Danny also told me that he preferred to loose a little on tonnage, rather than have all the family, having to live in the back cabin. This continued when he moved over to running a pair with a motor, as he hired a motor man, to run the Bolinder, and the motorman lived on the motor boat. It was not clear if any older boys shared the motor cabin, with said motor man. Keeping a  bow cabin butty was true of several families working for Claytons boats.

I know of no motor which had a bow cabin, oh perhaps I do! Did Heather Bell have one? But was that not also a pleasure boat before returning to carrying.

• Greenie 1

Wonderful how the subject of this thread evolved, from the subtleties of shades of post box reds, and their resistance to blue photon bombardment.

Whether it is appropriate to navigate within Sheffield City with your fenders down

Then how far the River Lee could claim title to water further west.

And now the most interesting bit.

What an enclosed area at the front of a narrowboat can be called? and what it  has been, and can now be used for. 

16 hours ago, agg221 said:

One of those items which was once completely commonplace and now extremely rare. I only know of three left - the last one in use was on Caggy, visible in the linked video both near the beginning and again at 5:50. I believe the current owners removed it on safety grounds.

Alec

I see Caggy is out at Stretton Wharf, on the Shropshire.

33 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I see Caggy is out at Stretton Wharf, on the Shropshire.

Yes, it came in to address some leaks in the cabin and to remove a fuel tank from under the foredeck. The latter is somewhat challenging as they were trying to get it out in one through the engine room. I would guess the hull is being looked over while it’s there for convenience.

Alec