Hot/burning plastic smell

Featured Posts

I have a (new) mysterious smell on board. I'm trying to locate the source of it. 

It smells (to me) like hot or burning plastic. 

It's been going on 6 weeks or so. My multifuel stove is out of action, and has been for around the same period that the smell has been around, during which time I've used my erbespacher central heating system (radiators). I usually haven't used it nearly as much until now. But it looks and feels fine. The pipework feeding the radiators is plastic, so, though it seems a bit unlikely, I guess that could be connected. Then again, I smell it even when the heating is off and has been for a while. And I don't recall smelling it in the post on those occasions I used the central heating (though that was really only for the odd, single hour now and then, unlike now when it's sometimes been running for hours at a time). 

If its not that, I thought maybe electrics? 

I've inspected all the visible wiring, it all looks fine and none of it feels hot. 

I've an RCD fuse box. 

I changed from 12V lead acid batteries to a c.14 V LiPo4 setup. But that was back in September and the smell didn't crop up then (at that point, when I needed heat, it was mostly coming from my stove which was working until about six weeks ago). I don't suppose that's connected. 

I've also been on shore power (unusual for me) for the period in question. So perhaps that's something to do with it? All the wiring on board was fine by professionals (though of course that doesn't mean they did everything right!). 

I'm scratching my head! Any suggestions? 

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Outside smell from someone burning dodgy stuff. 

Yes, good point, thanks. I have also thought it might be this. I don't smell it outside, but then again maybe smells can have a weird way of behaving, and maybe it's a smell that kind of collects/amplifies indoors? 

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

What does the Eberspaecher exhaust point at, I have seen mooring ropes smouldering, wooden pontoons chard and Upvc pontoons melted by them as well as grass scorched 

Good suggestion, but it's clear. I burnt my tender cover on it a few years back and now know to check! 

12 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Have you checked ceiling light fitting or any fixed lights that you cant see the connections, maybe one of the wires has worked loose?

Good point I'll have a look

25 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Can you go for a cruise for a day and see if the smell follows you?

No, not currently. A good thought, that I've also had. Just in the meantime thought I should investigate a little in case it's singing on board

39 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Have you checked ceiling light fitting or any fixed lights that you cant see the connections, maybe one of the wires has worked loose?

Good point, I have had LEDs stink when on the way out, but they have never lasted that long 

• Greenie 1

Another vote for light fittings. The electronics in 12volt fluorescents have been regular "performers" over the years, and all were from well known brand/suppliers. 

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Good point, I have had LEDs stink when on the way out, but they have never lasted that long 

I actually have one that's on the way out! Maybe that's it. I'm going to remove it and see if that helps. It's on the other end of the boat from where I notice it must but you never know

14 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Heating pad on Lithium Battery?

Cooker/oven knobs or similar?

Battery charger?

Not the cooker, and there's no heating pad (!). The charger is new, victron, and I've often sniffed to see if its coming from there and it doesn't seem to be, to me, but you never know I guess. Thanks for the suggestions! 

Fuse holder for the Ebbesnatcher?  I would check all electrical connections from battery to Eber and all your sockets too.

Does it smell when the engine is running or stopped?

Heating pad on the batteries is what rusty was referring to. Some have them built in to enable them to survive charging in freezing weather.

24 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Fuse holder for the Ebbesnatcher?  I would check all electrical connections from battery to Eber and all your sockets too.

Does it smell when the engine is running or stopped?

Heating pad on the batteries is what rusty was referring to. Some have them built in to enable them to survive charging in freezing weather.

Thank you. I'll check all that out. It's when the engine is stopped

My batteries don't have those heating pads (sadly) 

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

UPDATE (for anyone interested) 

I've identified the source of the smell. A massive facepalm moment. Feel free to point and laugh. It's from my dehumidifier, which is running under the steps firm into the cabin to help dry out the bilge. I feel a little foolish, and I'm going blame a lack of sleep. 

Sorry for taking up your time when the answer was pretty obvious and staring me in the face (or should that be 'right under my nose'). But thanks for all the pointers. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Cooker/oven knobs or similar?

Have a look under the flame spreaders on your hob. A build up of crap can sometimes smell quite bad when it heats up. 

Edit: Ok scrap that, I just read the last post.

Edited by blackrose