The Great Unblocking

Sir Percy

Featured Posts

We've got a trap on the (boat's) kitchen sink, never blocked. The bathroom sink regularly blocks though. It's a flexible concertina-type pipe with a u-bend, and seems vulnerable to hair and solid soaps. Boiling water does help delay the block, but I'm thinking of changing the pipe.

1 minute ago, Ewan123 said:

We've got a trap on the (boat's) kitchen sink, never blocked. The bathroom sink regularly blocks though. It's a flexible concertina-type pipe with a u-bend, and seems vulnerable to hair and solid soaps. Boiling water does help delay the block, but I'm thinking of changing the pipe.

Could be the ridges in the flexible hose.

31 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Asymmetic reducers are available that allow a level invert to be provided.

I bet you say that to all the ladies.  

Edited by magnetman
edit to remove sex references

All three of the grey water discharges in our boat got blocked at some stage.

The previous owner left us with his tame bit of multistrand that he used for this task. 

A hell of a fiddle. 

But we found that the hand pump he used for extracting stray water from the bilges very effective, with the bottom immersed in the canal, and the outer hose pushed hard against the hull penetration. Then pump, about 5 strokes was all that was needed. Trying to keep your face clear.

Al sorts of crud would then appear in the hand basin/ sink and then drain much more freely back out.

Edited by DandV