Recommend Battery Powered GSM alarm?

mark99

Featured Posts

Pretty cluesless re these. Just needed for storage shed. Recommendations welcome.

Got to have GSM ability (ie it texts me if alarm set off).

Ta!

Edited by mark99

There was a website called pocketdiallers where someone was doing really good phone mods for triggering and also for alerting. one could do both at the same time. bang bang

Maybe they got looked at.

You could perhaps fit a WiFi camera in there. I use Eufy (there are many others) which has an app that alerts me when motion is captured and I can review the recording or get live audio and video on my mobile phone  You can get a stand alone camera as well as a system with a hub that will do multiple devices. They also do doorbells, door and window detectors, etc.

Don't forget that 2G, aka GSM is planned to be shut down some time between now and 2033. When exactly that happens will depend on the network and each will come to a decision, but there are commercial aspects, like the need to maintain, or replace 2G antennas etc on masts that they will balance against decreased use. A lot of remote monitoring and reporting is still done by 2G text messaging, but I'd be looking at alternatives, rather than start a new installation now.

Have a look at the Ultra PIR battery GSM alarms from Ultra Secure Direct. They do 4G & very cheap 2G (£69) shed alarms. It needs a SIM. I have used the 2G version for years. 2G being phased out eventually though although 3G is going first.

I once made a reed switch mooring alarm from an old Nokia button phone. You program no.2 speed dial to be your own phone number then dismantle the phone and solder thin wires onto the copper pads beneath no 2. Wire that to normally closed (NC) reed switch. Put a magnet beside the reed switch and it will be open circuit. If the magnet is moved (door open. Boat no longer moored etc) the NC reed switch closes the contact and phone dials your number. 

reed switch was inside a window stuck to a magnetic 2p coin and the magnet was stuck to this outside with fishing line leading to a tent peg on the bank. If the Boat becomes detached from the mooring you get a phone call when the magnet drops off the window. 

It did work. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

... for as long as the phone battery had some charge.

Actually I wired in a 12v-3.7v buck converter to the contacts instead of. battery.

In order to fool the phone into thinking it has a battery one must solder a resistor of a certain value across two of the terminals. That way it will run off a 12v battery.