Form for boat purchase

haggis

Featured Posts

I know I should know this having read it several times but can't remember and can't find it by searching 🙂 

A local canal society is about to place an order for a new boat and it has been mentioned on here that some organisation has a form/contract which is a good base for making up a contract for a boat purchase.  But which organisation produces the form and what is it called?

Thank you . 

19 minutes ago, haggis said:

I know I should know this having read it several times but can't remember and can't find it by searching 🙂 

A local canal society is about to place an order for a new boat and it has been mentioned on here that some organisation has a form/contract which is a good base for making up a contract for a boat purchase.  But which organisation produces the form and what is it called?

Thank you . 

Both the RYA and the BMF have such forms on line.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Won't the supplier have a contract that they will expect signing to supply a new boat in line with their terms of business ?

They probably have but I was thinking of something which the buyer (the canal society) could consider as giving them a wee bit of peace of mind 🙂 

RYA have a form Bill of Sale, as to Ts&Cs, that will probably be in the build contract.

The norm is to have payments at stages, with a surveyor signing off the work. That way you have control of what is happening, and surveyor knows the boat.

Make sure the surveyor is familiar with narrowboats.

Edited by LadyG

On 31/01/2024 at 12:48, haggis said:

They probably have but I was thinking of something which the buyer (the canal society) could consider as giving them a wee bit of peace of mind 🙂 

If the buyer shows up with his own build contract, will the boat builder take any notice if it or be governed by it? I doubt it.

The builder will have his own contract with his terms and build/payment details/conditions, i’m sure they can get legal representation to check it over and  maybe will have a solicitor/lawyer being a Charitable Society that can do this for them?

51 minutes ago, LadyG said:

RYA have a form Bill of Sale

Thats for selling a boat they are buying a boat. I’m sure the builder will supply his own Bill of Sale and all relevant paperwork once the boat is paid for and signed off.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth
  • Greenie 1

Even if the Builder has his own Bill of Sale the RYA and/or BMF ones at least provide reference points to make sure that all the necessary " stuff" has been covered.

If the purchasers  are  ever thinking of registering the vessel as a Brittish Ship under the Merchant Shipping Act or whatever it is today ( Not the Small Ships Register)  it is worth getting the builder to complete the necessary forms at handover.  These, together with subsequent Bills of Sale for all of the sixty four parts a Ship can be divided into will form the basis of establishing registerable ownership.

N

2 hours ago, BEngo said:

Even if the Builder has his own Bill of Sale the RYA and/or BMF ones at least provide reference points to make sure that all the necessary " stuff" has been covered.

If the purchasers  are  ever thinking of registering the vessel as a Brittish Ship under the Merchant Shipping Act or whatever it is today ( Not the Small Ships Register)  it is worth getting the builder to complete the necessary forms at handover.  These, together with subsequent Bills of Sale for all of the sixty four parts a Ship can be divided into will form the basis of establishing registerable ownership.

N

Who has mentioned SSR, they are buying a boat, my comment refers to a Narrowboat/Widebeam for use on inland waters, as will most of the replies on here refer too. If they’re buying a ship or some big vessel maybe we need more info from @haggis to type of vessel and who’s the builder.

3 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Who has mentioned SSR, they are buying a boat, my comment refers to a Narrowboat/Widebeam for use on inland waters, as will most of the replies on here refer too. If they’re buying a ship or some big vessel maybe we need more info from @haggis to type of vessel and who’s the builder.

There are quite a few narrow and wide canal craft on the SSR.

Full registration makes  it a lot easier to get a marine mortgage. Again there are several canal boats Registered as ships. 

N

14 hours ago, BEngo said:

There are quite a few narrow and wide canal craft on the SSR.

Full registration makes  it a lot easier to get a marine mortgage. Again there are several canal boats Registered as ships. 

N

We’re talking about buying a boat not registering, that’s obviously down to the new owners once the boat has been handed over from the builder, just as the builders can’t register the boat with CaRT and licence it. That’s the new owners responsibility and they will have to deal with all the paperwork not the builder.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth