Hose recommendations

ChrisL

Featured Posts

I used copper from the calorifier as far as the bulkhead then standard engine hose from there to the take off point. 

https://www.asap-supplies.com/products/seaflow-premium-hot-water-steam-hose-sold-per-metre-16mm-id-206416

You may need a different size.

Edited by GUMPY

I used standard engine hose to the engine, then brass fir tree fittings, then Speedfit pipe and some fittings to the cauliflower. Speedfit pipe is happy with 85C or so coolant temperatures, but some of the fittings are not, so care needed with selecting these and checking the temperature ratings are 85C constant use, not 60C. Some brass fittings used instead, where suitable 85C plastic wasn't available. Copper pipe, plus fir tree connectors to the engine hose is probably easier!

I also included a couple of these at the highest points of the pipe run, to make bleeding air out easier when changing engine coolant. Depending on your set up, you may, or may not need something similar. On my boat, the cauliflower was in the cabin, so the holes through the cabin to engine hole bulkhead were high up.

4 hours ago, GUMPY said:

I used copper from the calorifier as far as the bulkhead then standard engine hose from there to the take off point. 

https://www.asap-supplies.com/products/seaflow-premium-hot-water-steam-hose-sold-per-metre-16mm-id-206416

You may need a different size.

Same here. Only about a meter of hose total 

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

For engine to/from coil in the calorifier - my calorifier instructions stated:   Engine connections (15mm barbed), to the coil - Use heater hose from the engine and pass over the barbed fittings and fix with jubilee clips.

I haven't got round to it yet but I'll be using  hose as per the ASAP supplies link above - although it may be available cheaper off the roll from a decent auto or engineering place.   

For Webasto to/from secondary coil in the calorifier - the brass fittings on the calorifier were for push-fit plastic fittings (Hep2O or I used JGSpeedfit).  So mine is JG Speedfit - all the links between calorifer to expansion vessel, the cold feed in, etc.   It is easy to work with. 

I found that Speedfit fittings (Tees, elbows, unequal tees etc) are all good to 85c but it is the plastic isolation valves that are not - so where I have a balancing valve fitted to adjust the flow into the calorifier coil, there I have used a compression ball-valve (as in, its metal - not plastic) - with the appropriate pipe inserts.  Ditto for valves to turn off the radiator loop for summer, etc.   These are rated for high temperatures of central heating.    

The instructions for a SureCal calorifier installation are here: https://www.surejust.co.uk/surecal-vertical-calorifier-connection-instructions#:~:text=First%2C select a suitable location,temperature of 65°C. 

On 29/12/2023 at 13:28, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I used standard engine hose to the engine, then brass fir tree fittings,

Blimey, sixteen quids on that listing for one single 1"bsp to 5/8" hose fitting.

Can't be overpriced though as he has sold over 31,000 of them in various sizes, amazing!! That is quite some niche business!

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

Blimey, sixteen quids on that listing for one single 1"bsp to 5/8" hose fitting.

Can't be overpriced though as he has sold over 31,000 of them in various sizes, amazing!! That is quite some niche business!

Just an example, so the OP knows what I'm talking about. With Ebay, you're paying for postage, even when it is "free". Small quantities, heavy items (1" BSP brass fitting), the price is high.