Help moving a boat on the tidal Thames to river medway

Stuart123

Featured Posts

Hi

I am looking to purchase a 33ft sports cruiser that is currently near Shepperton and I need to get it to Allington lock on the river Medway.

Is there anybody who could help with experience of tidal waters as mine is limited to multiple broads holidays. Boat has garmin plotter and VHF radio.

Happy to pay for the help and I will have a friend with me as well, just really need someone to skipper the boat.

Thanks in advance

8 hours ago, Stuart123 said:

Hi

I am looking to purchase a 33ft sports cruiser that is currently near Shepperton and I need to get it to Allington lock on the river Medway.

Is there anybody who could help with experience of tidal waters as mine is limited to multiple broads holidays. Boat has garmin plotter and VHF radio.

Happy to pay for the help and I will have a friend with me as well, just really need someone to skipper the boat.

Thanks in advance

@Scholar Gypsy might be the best man as I think he helps run the tidal cruises for St Pancras cruising club

• Greenie 1

I think you probably need a professional skipper, and to be careful about insurance. In theory this should be doable on a single tide, but that would require some travel in the dark. An overnight stop at Gravesend would be more relaxing.

You could ask on FB and you would get a recommendation.  London Boaters or Thames Liveaboards.

Some info and photos of the most recent SPCC trip.

https://scholargypsy.org.uk/2016/05/16/medway-trip-day-1-limehouse-to-gravesend/

12 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Moving it by road is the sensible option at this time of year.

https://www.tonytugboats.com/13.html may be able to help but it might be to big.

I'd reckon that it'd be about 7 tonnes which is too much for a car and trailer,

My 30 foot Fairline was 7 tonnes and my current heavy build 36 footer is 11 tonnes

But certainly a truck would be the best option.

Ray Bowern is the 'man'

Transporting boats for the past 50 years • Bargemovers.com

Edited by Alan de Enfield

• 2 weeks later...