Needing info on having a boat moved by road...

Journeyman36

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, agg221 said:

Another company you could try is Matt Gregory. You would need some idea of the total weight, and would probably need a wharf where you could get right alongside with the full length of the trailer but if that can be met, it may be a cheaper option. Matt has a 120 ton hiab and trombone trailer so the whole lift at both ends can be done with an integral vehicle.

You will need to define both where it is coming out and where it is going in - Harefield Marina may be an option for the latter as I think you could get full length alongside at the wharf by the shop.

Alec

A long time ago but I had my 55' shell  craned IN at Harefield many years ago. It was done at the slipway not the Wharf.

36 minutes ago, Bee said:

Hard to tell without looking but if someone has welded a bottom onto a 7`1" boat or even a fraction wider and left a so called sacrificial edge sticking out then it could be a problem that could be best solved with an angle grinder

If it's all the way down one or most likely both sides of the boat then a plasma cutter would make much lighter (and faster) work of it, especially if paying someone to do the work.

The OP said in his edit that the Boat was not aligned properly when the new base went on.

This seems like quite detailed knowledge. A banana Boat perhaps. 

16 minutes ago, Slim said:

A long time ago but I had my 55' shell  craned IN at Harefield many years ago. It was done at the slipway not the Wharf.

I'm surprised they can get a low loader in there. The entrance and the road outside don't seem wide enough. 

Edited by magnetman

I assume you got as for as the Napton flight ok so the boat can’t be to badly out of line and if the work was done in the North somehow it got to Banbury.  There was a lock in the Napton flight that had a slight bulge at the bottom and our boat Tadworth used to go through loaded ok as did the Jaguar but Trevor’s Corona always had a problem although his boat looked perfectly straight. If the OP got stuck going down and he knows where the wider place is ie how far he got in before getting stuck it might be easier to get Tooleys  to cut the overhang off than go to the expense off road transport that I guess would be at least £2500.

58 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

I assume you got as for as the Napton flight ok so the boat can’t be to badly out of line and if the work was done in the North somehow it got to Banbury.  There was a lock in the Napton flight that had a slight bulge at the bottom and our boat Tadworth used to go through loaded ok as did the Jaguar but Trevor’s Corona always had a problem although his boat looked perfectly straight. If the OP got stuck going down and he knows where the wider place is ie how far he got in before getting stuck it might be easier to get Tooleys  to cut the overhang off than go to the expense off road transport that I guess would be at least £2500.

I've no idea how the boat got above the Napton flight. I took it from there to Banbury myself and had no issues with the 12 locks along the route.
I think the lock you refer to is no10, it has a bulge and is where I got stuck.
There's not enough metal to reduce the width by 60mm.

1 minute ago, Journeyman36 said:

I've no idea how the boat got above the Napton flight.

Someone earlier alluded to this and I am not sure if you responded  as Have memory issues so I do apologise if you have already dealt with this question. 

Going up the flight the Boat would have been going in the opposite direction. 

Therefore...Have you tried going down the flight backwards? 

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Someone earlier alluded to this and I am not sure if you responded  as Have memory issues so I do apologise if you have already dealt with this question. 

Going up the flight the Boat would have been going in the opposite direction. 

Therefore...Have you tried going down the flight backwards? 

I did see and respond to that one. It is something I thought about but dismissed it as a mad idea, now that others seem to think it a possibility I'm back to thinking it might work.
Because the boat is a bit banana shaped it occurred to me that it might be pinched along 3 points, especially if the lock is also of of whack.

I would definitely be taking the Boat down backwards before resorting to road transport. 

Maybe you could weld in bulkheads then cut it in half and weld it back together afterwards. 

I once had an old motorised 72ft iron horse drawn narrow boat which had issues going down Napton. It was ages ago around 2007 and it wasn't the Marston Doles lock it was one a bit further down as I recall it there was a house a distance from the lock and a path. 

Anyway I had already gone up the flight no problems a few days before but when I went back down the front end hung up in the lock. 

A bit of refilling and rearranging and it was alright. 

Is this the boat "MALVERN"?

Pretty much everyone here thinks there will be ways to squeeze the boat through if you feel inclined to try out a few ideas, but it would be helpful to at least say if this (riveted?) iron boat is fully converted or still in carrying trim. 

But given the way both Tuckeys and Ray Bowern are blanking you, plus your sensitivity to questions about the boat, I feel there is perhaps a back story to all this which might help the forum come up with better more focused ideas but you prefer to keep to yourself.

29 minutes ago, MtB said:

Is this the boat "MALVERN"?

Pretty much everyone here thinks there will be ways to squeeze the boat through if you feel inclined to try out a few ideas, but it would be helpful to at least say if this (riveted?) iron boat is fully converted or still in carrying trim. 

But given the way both Tuckeys and Ray Bowern are blanking you, plus your sensitivity to questions about the boat, I feel there is perhaps a back story to all this which might help the forum come up with better more focused ideas but you prefer to keep to yourself.

I have no sensitivity whatsoever when it comes to questions about the boat. I do have an issue with you and that's perhaps why you hold the opinion you do.
Since you came into this thread ( and on a number of others it would appear) you've been trying to second guess and jump the gun, no one asked that of you. I see you've been here a long time, perhaps you think that makes you some kind of boating guru that knows all about all, it doesn't of course.
Tuckys and Bowern aren't 'blanking' me - that's just you once again jumping to conclusions.
Your feelings about back stories or anything  else are irrelevant. As for what the forum might come up with - it's come up with what I asked it to do and that was suggestions about having the boat lifted and transported.
Nowhere did I ask for anything else but of course people will offer alternative ideas, I've welcomed them and will try some of them.
Stop worrying yourself silly about things that shouldn't be of any concern and move on with your day.
Any more speculative/fishing comments from you and you'll be my first blocked user here.

• Greenie 3

3 minutes ago, Journeyman36 said:

Tuckys and Bowern aren't 'blanking' me - that's just you once again jumping to conclusions.

Don't be stupid, of course they are blanking you. You've said so yourself, they ignore your phone calls and emails.

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Don't be stupid, of course they are blanking you. You've said so yourself, they ignore your phone calls and emails.

Ah, so here come the offensive remarks. Stupid am I?
I tried calling Tuckeys and then followed up with an email I've not even tried anyone else as yet, so wind it in.
That Tuckys haven't responded (yet) might well be because they're busy or it's Christmas... but to you all it can be is them blanking me!
Grow up man - accept that sometimes your opinions count for little and not everyone wants to hear them.

Now please, say goodbye and let this one go, there's no profit in pursuing it.

1 minute ago, Journeyman36 said:

Ah, so here come the offensive remarks. Stupid am I?
I tried calling Tuckeys and then followed up with an email I've not even tried anyone else as yet, so wind it in.
That Tuckys haven't responded (yet) might well be because they're busy or it's Christmas... but to you all it can be is them blanking me!
Grow up man - accept that sometimes your opinions count for little and not everyone wants to hear them.

Now please, say goodbye and let this one go, there's no profit in pursuing it.

Have it your way then. I'm sure you'll have Tuckeys and Ray Bowern under-bidding each other shortly to win your precious business! 

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Have it your way then. I'm sure you'll have Tuckeys and Ray Bowern under-bidding each other shortly to win your precious business! 

And now the sarcasm... how predictable.

You know, having browsed much of this forum over the last few months, had I wanted to place a bet on who would be the most annoying respondent to a post, I'd have gone for you and won.

See that strap line of yours - the Hawkins quote, I wonder if you know what it means. Seems to me, as one of the 'loudest' people on here you'd likely have a pretty quiet (as in not active) mind.

Youre an idiot, a fool to have pushed this to the point where you end up in yet another dispute on here. All for what? Your precious ego?
You picked the wrong fight old chap... now jog on.

Just now, john.k said:

December and January are not the right time to be wanting anything done ......most transport operators will have layoffs for maintenance ,if they dont close entirely for 14 days Christmas and New year.

The whole OP makes no sense. It's as though the initial question was designed to attract responses he could get all offended about. 

Lock 10 is a known issue. Every time we go up crt staff ask us if we are overbeam. We have to explain we are the correct beam for our boat build.

We have no issues. It is our nearest narrow locks.

However we are only 55 ft nowadays and this makes a huge difference.

Lock 10 is a banana shape. Has been for years and it gets worse the lower you go in it.

Combination of slight overbeam and full length is critical.

You clearly have tried before and failed hence frustrationI can see.

You might get down backwards

you might get down with a very full pound below

you might get through on a dark winter day with a winch

you might get down by holding right on the sill and then gate flushing.

if when the bottom was replaced the width became greater than 7’ odd you are as you say stuffed. Old boats flex at the gunnels and this allows movement, so a quick nip flex flush grease and out ( a technique I employ on the welsh cut) just wont work for you as your open top box section at the stick point allows zero flex.

However there are many mights and its not like it was 30 years ago when I spent  over 24 hours stuck on that flight,  before a combination of the above ( and greasing the lockside and hull side got our butty out.

i In those days bw left you alone and your misfortunes were not displayed on the net.

May I humbly suggest persevere with crane unless you can get evidence the boat went up those locks.

Other strategies will just cause you pain.

Our old butty is on the oxford summit we rebuilt her to 7 foot two from seven four.

Has not moved since she went up the 12 years ago. Times and dimensions change.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

And another newbie poster decides that in preference to accepting the well intended advice from a number of forum members he will take issue with a couple of comments he doesn't agree with, and throw all his toys out of his pram...

Hahaha, who rattled your cage. Tell me clever dick, where is in that I've decided not to take the advice given? Where is it that I've taken issue with comments I don't agree with?
Wht I've done is accepted the comments and advice. I have taken exception to one member - is that an issue for you? I did explain why I'd done that. Are you one of these people that thinks everyone should like everyone else with no room for disagreement?
You come here uninvited for what? To wade into a matter between 2 other members that is resolved and has nothing to do with you.

Throwing my toys out of the pram? Ha, easy to say such things online isn't it.

Coward.

7 hours ago, john.k said:

December and January are not the right time to be wanting anything done ......most transport operators will have layoffs for maintenance ,if they dont close entirely for 14 days Christmas and New year.

I'm starting to realise that - thanks for the input.

7 hours ago, MtB said:

The whole OP makes no sense. It's as though the initial question was designed to attract responses he could get all offended about. 

You're a real piece of work aren't you. Too stupid by far... now FO

17 hours ago, Journeyman36 said:

Aside from Chertsey there is the installation of the new viaduct for HS2 - that's a lengthy closure.

That doesn't start until the end of Feb. If you left now you could be through the 2 planned closures on the Thames before 2nd Jan and get to Reading and either wait for Chertsey to reopen or be craned out somewhere with a crane on site such as Reading marine.

7 hours ago, john.k said:

May also be a holiday period ban on over dimension loads .

they do that?

Just now, Mike Adams said:

That doesn't start until the end of Feb. If you left now you could be through the 2 planned closures on the Thames before 2nd Jan and get to Reading and either wait for Chertsey to reopen or be craned out somewhere with a crane on site such as Reading marine.

I thought the HS2 job began on the 1st February? If it's the end of Feb I have a chance as you say - earlier is likely to be scuppered by red boards I reckon.