Experienced Carpenter

VincePam

Featured Posts

Hi both and thanks. I though my area was visible on the profile. The boat is in Ely, Cambridgeshire.

I need an expert with steel to add steel rails and movable folding steel poles/parts to the rear of the hatch and onto the front part of the roof, as well as basic woodwork to one of the cabins. 

32 minutes ago, VincePam said:

Hello all.

I am looking for an expert carpenter to upgrade/modify my steel narrowboat.

Anyone has suggestions of experts of proven quality please?

Thank you for your help.

Expect to pay a lot of money.

I had a quote for a galley, just the joinery, 2x 1.6m long, £12K, and that's up north!

I think it's going to end up in the region of £800 materials, and somewhere between £1200 and £2000 labour. No quote forthcoming.

, and he wanted paid before he had started. 

Best that you buy the materials if you can IMHO. 

5 minutes ago, VincePam said:

Hi both and thanks. I though my area was visible on the profile. The boat is in Ely, Cambridgeshire.

I need an expert with steel to add steel rails and movable folding steel poles/parts to the rear of the hatch and onto the front part of the roof, as well as basic woodwork to one of the cabins. 

Is there a boatyard,  or other boats around, personal recommendation is a good idea.

Do you mean you want a pram hood and a cratch? This is a different skillset.

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, VincePam said:

Doesn’t sound like you need a carpenter.  One of the many cover / hood makers probably for starters then separately a carpenter for the woodwork.   

In my experience it takes longer to fit/refit a boat than anything in a house, things are not square, there is no space, every time you need to cut a piece of ply its in and out of the boat half a dozen times and there are pipes and wires to fit stuff around. That makes for bigger than expected bills. 

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Bee said:

In my experience it takes longer to fit/refit a boat than anything in a house, things are not square, there is no space, every time you need to cut a piece of ply its in and out of the boat half a dozen times and there are pipes and wires to fit stuff around. That makes for bigger than expected bills. 

Not only that but 20 trips per day back to the van 100 or 300 metres away really eat into the time spent in the boat actually doing the work. 

Also, really clear and concise instructions from client about what needs doing help speed things up. Endless conferences about what to do and how to do it are expensive and best avoided. 

• Greenie 1