will it be narrow enough

marrk chalmers

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not a free fall, probably double davit like we used on the gas platforms down off the east coast 

not sure , i don't want it for canals just rivers

29 minutes ago, marrk chalmers said:

not sure , i don't want it for canals just rivers

hopefully the nene great ouse and the welland

I'd be asking someone like tony tug boats about it.

https://www.tonytugboats.com/

The question 'will it be narrow enough' can apply to the use of a trailer.

On his website it looks like he does put the trailer in the water so no need for lifting.

Might be less expensive than you think if the dimensions are right.

12 hours ago, rusty69 said:

If it is a sea going lifeboat and you have the skills bring it up the coast and in through the out door 

I've got serious misgivings here, most of these "modern" lifeboats are not suitable for making a sea passage in anything other than millpond conditions with a fair tidal stream. A puff of wind and the thing would be impossible to handle, they are designed for one purpose namely  lifesaving. 

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, magnetman said:

The joys of single-use boats.

Yup. Those orange things aren't lifeboats. They are TEOSCs. The "O" is a clue: it stands for "offshore".

They were never designed to go anywhere other than few hundred metres away from an offshore installation in an emergency.

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I've got serious misgivings here, most of these "modern" lifeboats are not suitable for making a sea passage in anything other than millpond conditions with a fair tidal stream. A puff of wind and the thing would be impossible to handle, they are designed for one purpose namely  lifesaving. 

True. But when I said that we didn't know if it was a lifeboat or a glorified escape capsule. 

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

If you are thinking of a sea passage, the statement above in red worries me.

Speaking as a holder of a Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence.

I'd check the RYA site:https://www.rya.org.uk/training

I think I've done most of the RYA courses over the years, many years, but even in my pomp I'd not be attempting a sea passage in one of these orange things. 

The important bit is it's not a tall boat so you should be fine under the bridge at Oundle and in Upwell/Outwell, maybe even some of the Middle Level side channels narrowboats can't manage. Next test would be how deep it is for Upwell/Outwell but it looks like it's probably OK. Width is fine for anywhere on the Nene and Great Ouse system

Would definitely prefer to move it in a truck than along a wintry coast though. Just be aware some locks will be closed for repairs until spring, so your ability to move around this winter might be limited.

Have you got a mooring yet?

On 01/12/2023 at 10:53, marrk chalmers said:

thank you , that would be the best way  ,but working on i tight buget i thought i'd cruising up the grand union the on to the great ouse

You will also need to check the headroom for both the Nene & the GU.

On 01/12/2023 at 08:02, magnetman said:

Also interesting to know what 'converted lifeboat' means..

If it is one of the one-piece type which are often orange or yellow it may prove to be rather unpleasant for actually going boating as the helm is fully enclosed. 

On the other hand if it is a conversion of an open ships lifeboat it might a very practical cruising motoryacht. 

Yes ships lifeboats are great it was the freefall type I was referring to as single use.