Water Wagtail

mark99

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

WATER WAGTAIL was I believe the COROLLA before conversion to a Zoo Bus.

These days it has reverted to COROLLA, of course, and is one of the smartest ex Grand Union boats around.

And inbetween also  "Brummagem Fly", working out of Gas Street basin (?)

Here in the 'wilderness years', Foxton, winter of 1984-85

The HB3 had been taken out and rebuilt, but not re-installed, most movement in those years was vertical. Sometime around 1986 a steel back cabin shell was welded over the original (?) frames by a local fabricator, the shape was really not too shabby - but it was just left to go rusty. I wonder if that is still on, or did new owners start again?

Corolla Winter 1984-85.jpg

Here on the bottom, 1st of April (I kid you not) 1986

Then Pallas, and Greenock and Crux, visiting from Stockton

Foxton 1986.1.jpg

Foxton 1986.2.jpg

Richard,

The cabin was renewed in steel about this time in 2016 (it was a very cold few days work) with measurements taken off a wooden cabined small boat (Denebola). Bits of it survive if you know where to look. 
Alan,

Thank you for your kind words. If we got her out and used her a bit more she’d look a lot more acceptable. 
Thanks,

Tim

58 minutes ago, MiniTim said:

Richard,

The cabin was renewed in steel about this time in 2016 (it was a very cold few days work) with measurements taken off a wooden cabined small boat (Denebola). Bits of it survive if you know where to look. 
Alan,

Thank you for your kind words. If we got her out and used her a bit more she’d look a lot more acceptable. 
Thanks,

Tim

Thanks for this, Tim. It doesn't surprise me - I felt the 1986 effort was unexpectedly "OK" given the circumstances, but not ideal. BTW, what I was told about the engine was that it came out as an HA3 but - and I understand this is something to do with governor springs - ended up after the rebuild (by Tony Clark at FBS) as an HB3, which revs a bit higher (confirmed by a thread on this forum from 2013). Still composite in the 80s, hence the repeated sinkings.

Good to see the boat has been properly rescued, she was already in a very sorry state by the mid 80s, and I guess that only got worse in between.

On 27/11/2023 at 13:14, MiniTim said:

Richard,

Alan,

Thanks,

Tim

She looked pretty acceptable to us last year 

IMG_2023-11-28-144141.thumb.jpeg.31c757d7b33365acb79a51e9cc1b54f3.jpeg

IMG_2023-11-28-143818.png.1f4c675c80af2ed730ca52173dede09a.png