Which Lock on The GU?

mark99

Featured Posts

Yes it seems to be a brick bridge but lined with the stones on the inside of the arch.

Also the chamber in the old photo is partly brick so perhaps as the large stones became detached they were replaced with bricks.

On 20/11/2023 at 21:02, magpie patrick said:

The offside approach wall has been entirely rebuilt 

The solo step on the right has disappeared because there is one less course of bricks in the second photo.

I do wonder if the entire tail of the lock has been rebuilt 

I think this was right.

7 hours ago, Heartland said:

It is the stone in the lock and bridge which does not fit with Tyrley as a location for this Telford canal. So other suggestions might be needed.

828313_97dbf6a6.jpg

If you look closely at some of the marks in the stone:

image.png.e2e2601fe6f5714d410d4d74e209603f.png

image.png.16cd780f2a96d2aa08f8352afe451546.png

Are a pretty good match

I don't know the location, but what stands out like a sore thumb to me is the relationship of the bridge arch; the lock itself; and the row of buildings.

There is a similarity in architecture, but either the bridge has moved; the lock has moved; and the row of houses have taken a walk.

Edited by Derek R.

2 hours ago, Derek R. said:

I don't know the location, but what stands out like a sore thumb to me is the relationship of the bridge arch; the lock itself; and the row of buildings.

There is a similarity in architecture, but either the bridge has moved; the lock has moved; and the row of houses have taken a walk.

As the entire lock wall has been rebuilt the angle of the slope could have been changed. 

What would be a good tell is the grooves in the iron rubbing block on the bridge - none of the new photos I can find seem to show it so we can't compare

Edited by StephenA

2 hours ago, StephenA said:

As the entire lock wall has been rebuilt the angle of the slope could have been changed. 

What would be a good tell is the grooves in the iron rubbing block on the bridge - none of the new photos I can find seem to show it so we can't compare

Regarding your last sentence - yes it would. But I'm looking at the relationship between the whole row of cottages and the bridge arch. Both images are very similar. Both images are taken at almost the same point of view. Yet there is so much more of the cottages in view that are NOT in view in the original. Plus - the lock tail is so much farther away from the bridge arch in the contemporary shot. Was the entire lock moved back up the canal 15-20 feet?

Furthermore; look at the number of raised bricks for footholds on the right hand side of the slope. There are eight in the 'new' shot, but ten in the B & W. Also, note how that slope ends in a 'point', whereas the 'new' shot it ends squared off with the towpath beneath the bridge. The raised brick footholds beneath the bridge are also missing.

I've searched the Macclesfield and the Peak Forest and there is no other lock site that matches. Which brings me to the conclusion that there must have been some substantial changes made there.

There are images in the CRT Waterways archive for 1956 which show reconstruction of lock walling at Tyrley Top Lock

This 1971 image also shows a similar view to the first, So allowing for reconstruction and repair the conclusion can be therefore the top lock at Tyrley

BW200.jpg

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Heartland said:

There are images in the CRT Waterways archive for 1956 which show reconstruction of lock walling at Tyrley Top Lock

This 1971 image also shows a similar view to the first, So allowing for reconstruction and repair the conclusion can be therefore the top lock at Tyrley

BW200.jpg

Great find - its got the 1 plate on the lock beam which is there but unreadable in the original B&W , and as you say the lockside buildings line up in terms of windows, chimneys etc.