Webasto remote / smart control

TandC

Featured Posts

Hi all - debate ongoing on a Facebook group but interested in thoughts here.   

What are the options for running a Webasto ThermoTop Evo - with the multi-controller - via a smart control function so it can be turned off and off via mobile phone app when away from the boat?

I don't want to use a thermostat, to avoid short-cycling, but want the ability to turn on the Webasto for a solid hour or two when away from the boat.  Say, when coming home after some time away etc.    There would be wifi onboard and either 12 or 240v. 

ButlerTechnik tell me the Webasto TCon2 remote app module is the thing - but it's £300 and seems over the top.

Google Nest?   HeatMiser Neo?  Are these options to use - cheaper than £300... 

How do these other wi-fi enabled products physically get wired into the Webasto control circuit to turn it on? 

I just used a remote gate switch on my Eberspacher, I believe the webasto has an analogue input so it should work on that as well.

Something like this:

https://gsm-activate.co.uk/product/gsm-smart-switch-mini-eco-range/

using a Giffgaff PAYG SIM then costs are minimal.

I fitted an external aerial for better reception 

Other cheaper remote gate switches are available

Have a 12v Heatmiser as well, installed by the boat builder. Had to get the heatmiser Neohub which then connects into my router via ethernet and by using the app this allows me to control the webasto remotely via my phone (probably the same as a Nest does).

Ideally, I'd love the heatmiser to remotely build a fire in my stove and light that as the websasto takes a few hours for the radiators to get to a decent temp but it is what it is. It works well and it gives very good remote temperature readouts inside the boat for the past week; good for winter if you don't want to set up times for it to come on and off and just monitor the temperature and then turn it on and off at will or perhaps a few hours before you leave work.

The common Thermotop-C is easy to run off alternative controls, as all that needs supplying is an on/off signal to the heater. The Evo uses a Webasto specific W bus to connect controllers, which only work with (surprise!) Webasto controllers, or various home made projects that mimic the protocol.

When I had a Mikuni I used an old mobile phone and a Velleman light sensitive resistor circuit board. In a black box. Basically you call the phone twice within a certain time and it switches the heater on because the backlight comes on.

The relay was wired to the on off switch but this was a very simple installation no timer or stat. 

The phone was wired to a 12v/3.7v adapter using a resistor on two of the contacts which is necessary to make the phone think it has a battery. 

Worked alright but the gate switch is more tidy. 

Be careful about 3G stuff its getting switched orf rather soon. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Be careful about 3G stuff its getting switched orf rather soon. 

2g is probably ok until 2033.

O2 have no plans to dump it as it runs a lot of infrastructure.

SMS only needs 2g

• Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The common Thermotop-C is easy to run off alternative controls, as all that needs supplying is an on/off signal to the heater. The Evo uses a Webasto specific W bus to connect controllers, which only work with (surprise!) Webasto controllers, or various home made projects that mimic the protocol.

Thanks Jen - that's good to hear (even if it does mean that I probably will just stick with the very expensive TCon2 remote controller from Webasto).  

I love the creativity in the other solutions...  reminds me of when as a child I spent weeks rigging up a string pulley system to open my curtains from bed...  

3 hours ago, Dobba said:

Ideally, I'd love the heatmiser to remotely build a fire in my stove and light that as the websasto takes a few hours for the radiators to get to a decent temp but it is what it is.

When going to the boat in Winter I used to turn the Eber on as I left home. It's a 4.5hr journey to where the boat was so it was always warm when I got there.

Made lighting the stove so much easier as I wasn't shivering.

3 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

If you have a Vicron Cerbo GX you can use that to switch it on/off from your phone...... expensive solution if you dont have it as part of your overall system though....

Or any other remotely-accessible heating controller like a Nest -- also expensive, but cheaper than a Cerbo... 😉

56 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Actually just seen its an Evo, so probably wont work..... stuck with Webastos own controllers??

As was pointed out, about £300 plus £30/year subscription... 😞

It's shame Webasto don't make their system compatible with a standard CH controller (for both hot water and heating) like mine is, this would give users far more choice about how to control it, possibly for free if their system already has the capabilities. OTOH a lock-in makes them more money... 😞

Edited by IanD

On 13/11/2023 at 13:30, IanD said:

As was pointed out, about £300 plus £30/year subscription... 😞

It's shame Webasto don't make their system compatible with a standard CH controller (for both hot water and heating) like mine is, this would give users far more choice about how to control it, possibly for free if their system already has the capabilities. OTOH a lock-in makes them more money... 😞

Even worse - think it's £35 a year subscription....  that makes for some expensive remove control.

I am fully intending on laying in bed and firing it up remotely each morning so I can get my moneys worth!

On 13/11/2023 at 13:37, GUMPY said:

Looking up the spec of the heater it said it had an analogue input as well was the Wbus input.

Hence my suggestion.

If it has an analogue input then any remote controller ought to be able to turn it on and off, and actuate any CH/hot water valves. Whether this is workable in practice is another question... 😉

If you want to be able to control it from in bed then another option might be a fob remote control with a latching relay setup. They are quite good. I have played with them in the past.

It would need wiring to the on off switch so may not be all that practical on a modern unit with microcontrollers and complexities beyond the pale.