Leaking vent advice?

pebble77

Featured Posts

The little "elongated upward dimples" around the chrome/SS base are drains for rail that gets through the big holes and over time they fill with dust and leaves, so they block. So, take the silver cover off and ensure all the musk is cleaned away, so they can drain again. This is a classic problem with those vents.

It is possible that the seal where the plastic part meets the roof is leaking, but it is normally a soft "rubber" ring so unless the roof has a particularly high arch, this is far less likely. You should not disturb the plastic part by removing the metal cover. It is held down by its own set of screws.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

These vents are also prone to condensation when the weather gets colder, it runs down onto the lining. 

We never found that, but then ours had what looked like a plastic tube type lining through the deck head.  In very cold weather, there was an odd drip of condensation from the exposed plastic centre disk, but probably less than a mushroom might suffer.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

The little "elongated upward dimples" around the chrome/SS base are drains for rail that gets through the big holes and over time they fill with dust and leaves, so they block. So, take the silver cover off and ensure all the musk is cleaned away, so they can drain again. This is a classic problem with those vents.

It is possible that the seal where the plastic part meets the roof is leaking, but it is normally a soft "rubber" ring so unless the roof has a particularly high arch, this is far less likely. You should not disturb the plastic part by removing the metal cover. It is held down by its own set of screws.

Thank you Tony! Great advice. I will follow this exactly this afternoon, when hopefully the weather improves.

Belfast had some of these. The area under the stainless steel cover was completely filled with moss, the drain holes were blocked and the cabin top beneath was rusty and pitted. The plastic bit below was cracked in some cases. I removed them all, cleaned up the steelwork and replaced them with mushroom vents. 

Previous post:

Edited by David Mack

I've got these UFO vents on one of the boats and they so sometimes leak. 

Mine are ECS ventilites with a plastic lens in the middle. If you unscrew the stainless part there should be a second smaller part of plastic. I cleaned the rust then sealed the plastic part down with polyurethane sealant. 

If rust has crept under the thing it will wick the rain. 

Hi all, thanks for the replies and sorry for the late response. I've removed the vents cleaned, sealed a crack that was doing most of the damage and replaced. I think things are better now.

The only issue now is potential water damage/accumulation- directly below the vent is my 3 ring gas burner where the water was accumulating as it has a deep dip and I assume going down one of the rings(the one that doesn't work anymore). Underneath that is my fridge and everything is pretty built in solid- do I need to rip it out to assess damage?

The floor next to the fridge feels a bit damp..😬🫣

10 hours ago, pebble77 said:

The only issue now is potential water damage/accumulation- directly below the vent is my 3 ring gas burner where the water was accumulating as it has a deep dip and I assume going down one of the rings(the one that doesn't work anymore).

Most likely you just need to remove the top of the burner and clean out the muck and rust below, so that the gas can flow properly. You might also need to clean out the gas jet (carefully).

On 08/11/2023 at 22:20, Laurie Booth said:

I've sealed mine off.

Laurie, is that legal re BSS?

On 08/11/2023 at 23:46, David Mack said:

Most likely you just need to remove the top of the burner and clean out the muck and rust below, so that the gas can flow properly. You might also need to clean out the gas jet (carefully).

Thanks, I will do but its more an issue about where the water has flowed into below where the fridge is.

I'll include a picture later to give a better idea.

On 03/11/2023 at 09:58, Tony Brooks said:

We never found that, but then ours had what looked like a plastic tube type lining through the deck head.  In very cold weather, there was an odd drip of condensation from the exposed plastic centre disk, but probably less than a mushroom might suffer.

I seem to remember I used the white  plastic pipe and also the nylon finned bit that fits in a toilet pan rear as a liner and it all fit together perfectly. If you want a liner suggest you measure it and then go and measure the pipe and pan fittings in BQ, Screwfix you may find they are a good match!

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

or see if something like a length of plastic bleach bottle will do the job for "free"

I looked far and wide for something to fit and confess I never thought of a bottle so if you have a bleach bottle and it fits...... I’d have needed a few bottles of bleach though

Ventilation is an advisory on the BS scheme. The examiner will probably check it anyway but lack of ventilation isn't a fail.

It once was but it now isn't. 

I don't know how this works if a boat is sealed. 

And has a fire and a cooker...