MaddyG

Featured Posts

Hello all, hopefully I put this on the right section. My grandmother Shirley Ginger and grandfather Maurice Ginger used to own a canal shop in the 1980s in Buckby Top Lock. I don't know a whole lot about it apart from that she used to paint Buckby Cans and released several books related to boating (Lock, Stock & Barrel was the name of one of them). My grandparents used to spend time on a barney boat called "The Warwickshire Lad", and I was wondering if anyone had any info (anecdotal or not) or photos of the Warwickshire Lad/Canal Shop. I have been wondering where it is now and if it is still in action, and unfortunately as my grandparents are now in their 90s it is hard to remember much from that time. Thank you!

There is still a small shop near the top of the flight - my only interest in it is that it sells Magnum ice creams! But yes, it does still stock lots of canal related ware.

Just done a bit more digging, and there was a small shop attached to the New Inn by the top lock but I believe this closed in the late 1970’s.

https://longbuckbywharf.wordpress.com/category/canal/

Read down to ‘Buckby can’s’ - this has a bit about the shop

Edited by Mike Tee

10 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

There is still a small shop near the top of the flight - my only interest in it is that it sells Magnum ice creams! But yes, it does still stock lots of canal related ware.

That's not the one. The shop in question is next door to the New Inn and is now part of a private house. The bit with the large window was the shop part I believe.

• Greenie 1

Some information on the shop. Waterways World 1978.

Also the shop

Buckby Can shop W World June 1978.jpg

Buckby Top shop.jpg

Folk law has it that only water cans purchased from this shop can (excuse the pun) be called "Buckby Cans."

Article on Barney boats here: 

Edited by Ray T

On 23/10/2023 at 17:18, Paul H said:

Your grandparent’s boat was renamed Mae Bee and is now with Bramblewick Canal Boats https://www.bramblewickcanalboats.co.uk

The bad news is that the boat has been recabinned and looks nothing like Warwickshire Lad.  The good news is you go on holiday in it!

Paul

Wow! Thank you Paul. It's a shame that they recabinned it but interesting to know where it ended up.

On 23/10/2023 at 17:26, Ray T said:

You will find the shop / house has changed somewhat.

Buckby Top.jpg

Thanks for this!

On 23/10/2023 at 16:58, Ray T said:

Some information on the shop. Waterways World 1978.

Also the shop

Buckby Can shop W World June 1978.jpg

Buckby Top shop.jpg

Folk law has it that only water cans purchased from this shop can (excuse the pun) be called "Buckby Cans."

Article on Barney boats here: 

Amazing bit of history.

Hello Maddy, I guess you must be the daughter (or neice) of Bruce Ginger. I knew Bruce when we were both members of the BCN Society Work Party Group in the mid 1970s. Bruce was only about 11 or 12 then but came on working parties on his own (no parents), under the watchful eye of work party organiser Graham Turner. He often talked about Warwickshire Lad, which I can remember seeing moored on the boat club moorings at Hatton. It had a bright orange cabin I recall.

9 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Hello Maddy, I guess you must be the daughter (or neice) of Bruce Ginger. I knew Bruce when we were both members of the BCN Society Work Party Group in the mid 1970s. Bruce was only about 11 or 12 then but came on working parties on his own (no parents), under the watchful eye of work party organiser Graham Turner. He often talked about Warwickshire Lad, which I can remember seeing moored on the boat club moorings at Hatton. It had a bright orange cabin I recall.

Hi David, yes Bruce is my dad! Thank you so much for replying I will pass this on to him :) 

7 minutes ago, LEO said:

I have several books written by Mrs Ginger, two about the stores and another called Fen Tigers. All good, if you want them let me know. Also a good booklet about painting water cans........that's a 'keeper'.

I have them as well

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/10/2023 at 10:43, LEO said:

I have several books written by Mrs Ginger, two about the stores and another called Fen Tigers. All good, if you want them let me know. Also a good booklet about painting water cans........that's a 'keeper'.

Hi Leo, thank you for your reply. I am an art student at university making work about my grandma's own art practice and was wondering if I could use your message above as part of my next work. Let me know if not- that's fine too.