45 x10 Widebeam, total electric retrofit is it possible?

Thingi

Featured Posts

My understanding  is that one factor in deciding to use narrow boats was that it was determined that there would not be enough water supply in Central England for wider locks. I suppose another factor was the use of  narrow boats in undeground canals in coal mines that could be loaded with coal a relatively short way from the coal face.  

5 hours ago, Slim said:

Actually, in the EV world batteries are specified in kW.  

My observation to the OP would be more around the area of his health. Are you thinking of solo boating? If so you will find it fairly physical. Consider all the up and downing involved in negotiating a lock (and you will be transiting wide ones).   

kWh... 😉

Edited by IanD

34 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Whilst we are moaning about the narrowness of narrow canals, can I just add a moan about the narrowness of standard railways?  If somebody had just had the wisdom to build a wider system, maybe we wouldn't have needed HS2?

Someone did... Isambard Kingdom Brunel and it was better and faster than Standard Gauge.

Now here comes the obligatory almost Monty Python quote... What have the Romans, what have the Romans ever done for us? The aqueduct and the Standard Gauge... those damn chariots ruts are everywhere 🤣. Sorry, couldn't resist I love a bit of Jago Hazzard

15 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

My understanding  is that one factor in deciding to use narrow boats was that it was determined that there would not be enough water supply in Central England for wider locks.

But half as many 14 ft wide boats each carrying twice the load could transport the same quantity of freight using the same amount of water as the system we have.

On 18/10/2023 at 14:02, Thingi said:

That is indeed on the cards and a very sensible idea because the answer is a no at the moment. Ideally as well as a hire of a boat I'd like some expert tuition to avoid learning any 'bad habits'.

One thing to bear in mind is that few if any hire companies accept solo hirers, if that's what you have in mind.  Some organisations do "experience days" or training courses which comprise an accompanied day or two with some instruction.

Another alternative is a trip on a hotel boat, some of which welcome their guests to participate in some of the cruising tasks.

I'm not local to Nottingham so cannot help with specific contacts there.