Anybody tell me where this is?

merline

Featured Posts

51 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I'm surprised the people on the facebook railway page don't know about google lens. 

Lots of people haven't spent much time needing to find stuff online, (in my case it was for reasons to do with gainful employment). Sometimes in technical matters it's just easier to give an answer to the question, rather than explain how to do it. They might not need to find similar stuff again anytime soon.

My elderly mother-in-law has taught me this. One time she had a PC problem and she was watching me work out how to fix it. I typed a google search describing the problem and got instructions on what to do. Watching behind my back she said, "Oh, could I have done that? How long will it take you to fix it." Now I just (remotely - she is 6 hours travel away) fix stuff on request, as it is quicker than trying to explain.

Edited by alias

Everyone should know about google lens as it is the early stages of AI taking over the world. 

i would hate it if people didn't know about it. 

Not telling them feels like keeping people in the dark. 

Just now, alias said:

Lots of people haven't spent time needing to find stuff online, in my case for reasons to do with gainful employment. Sometimes in technical matters it's just easier to give an answer to the question, rather than explain how to do it. 

My elderly mother-in-law has taught me this. One time she had a PC problem and she was watching me fix it. I typed a google search describing the problem and got instructions on what to do. Watching behind my back she said, "Oh, I could have done that. How long will it take you to fix it."

Nothing worse than the mil watching you fix their PC, iPad, phone, TV, etc and then they think they can do it there self the next time something goes wrong but they make things worse.  I get the same at work when someone breaks their laptop and they say they haven't done anything but eventually I get them to admit they have tried various "fixes" they got from Google, what they don't understand is the skill is knowing which result on Google will actually address the issue.

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Everyone should know about google lens as it is the early stages of AI taking over the world. 

Cruising slowly home past some moorings on the Ashby I spied a chap leaning out of his side hatch with smartphone in hand. As I idled by he said he'd bought an app to recognise birdsong.  I asked him what it was saying and he replied "diesel engine".  He seemed pleased with the accuracy of his AI purchase. 

• Greenie 1