cooking on a one pad cooking wood burning stove recipies

Anthony James

Featured Posts

Probably 'one pan'. 

Some of the smaller stoves do only have room for a single saucepan on top. 

I imagine 'wood burning' describes the fuel being used rather than the internal design of the appliance. 

For example my custom made fire can burn wood or coal as we fitted it with a grate but I burn wood on it and very rarely use coal products. 

So it is a 'wood burning stove' when it is burning wood. I also cook on it. 

Wood burns slightly differently to coal products. 

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

But are one pot recipes for wood burning or multi fuel stoves any different to one pot recipes for other types of hob or cooker?

I find that getting the stovetop hot enough to fry stuff turns the cabin into an oven unless it's really cold. Also if the stove is near floor level like most are, it's not very ergonomic for turning/stirring.

Wood gets you short intense heat that's better if you do want to cook at high temperatures. Coal ends up being very wasteful.

As @magnetman suggests, I generally stick to stews and curries in a casserole dish. Leave it on the top all afternoon while cruising so it's ready for dinner. Dumplings are good. Potatoes can be wrapped in foil and roasted in the corner of the firebox.

With a couple of layers of foil over the casserole dish it makes a usable small oven. I've baked bread in it but it's a bit too much hassle to bother routinely.

Edited by Francis Herne

On 28/09/2023 at 14:05, magnetman said:

Wood burns slightly differently to coal products. 

Oh really? Well they do say everyday is a school day...😋

On 28/09/2023 at 14:05, magnetman said:

So it is a 'wood burning stove' when it is burning wood. I also cook on it. 

If that's how you're using the term it's fine, you can call your stove whatever you want. However, what you probably have is a multi fuel stove. The term "wood burning stove" is a stove specifically designed to burn wood rather than coal or smokeless fuel.

https://www.stovax.com/frequently-asked-questions/buyer-faqs/solid-fuel-buyer-faqs/difference-wood-burning-multi-fuel-appliance/#:~:text=Woodburners have a fixed grate,below using a removable ashpan.

I am aware of a what a wood burning stove is. It does not have a grate and the wood burns in a bed of its own ash. 

The French did a lot of pretty ones. 

In terms of the thread title though it makes no difference what the design of the fire is. If it has a cooking plate on top and is full of wood then it is wood burning. 

Maybe wood burning in a multifuel stove will have a different cooking performance to wood burning in a wood burning stove. 

What would you say?

i call my stove Jennifer. 

3 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

We had a boatman who kept a pot on the range in the back cabin and just kept topping it up with whatever he had available. It looked really grim but he never got any stomach problems.

As a teenager I had a holiday job in a local hotel kitchen. The stock pot sat permanently at the back of the cooker hob, never boiled but kept warm by the heat from the adjacent gas rings and the oven below, then cooling down overnight. All sorts of food waste went into it - bones, fat, skin, meat and vegetable trimmings, eggshells etc. Periodically a ladleful of the lukewarm liquid would be added to whatever dish the chef was making that day. But as far as I know, nobody suffered from salmonella!

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

As a teenager I had a holiday job in a local hotel kitchen. The stock pot sat permanently at the back of the cooker hob, never boiled but kept warm by the heat from the adjacent gas rings and the oven below, then cooling down overnight. All sorts of food waste went into it - bones, fat, skin, meat and vegetable trimmings, eggshells etc. Periodically a ladleful of the lukewarm liquid would be added to whatever dish the chef was making that day. But as far as I know, nobody suffered from salmonella!

This sounds a bit like my cousins steam bath for the pig swill and they did well on it.

On 30/09/2023 at 21:27, David Mack said:

That's a really bad idea from a food hygiene perspective. Just because nobody (that you know of) got sick doesn't mean it didn't happen. I really hope nobody is considering doing this on their boat over winter. It's not me being a H&S bore, I work in the food industry and it's just basic food hygiene that any self respecting chef should know about, or should have known even when you were a teenager. 

Fermentation of food is of course one of the key methods used to create some of the tastes we love. A curry, soup or stew always tastes better the day after it's cooked for that reason. But it has to be carefully controlled and you can't just leave a pot of food in warm conditions for extended periods because bacteria will grow at an uncontrolled rate and sooner or later people will get sick, and vulnerable people like the elderly or babies might even die.

• Greenie 4

6 hours ago, blackrose said:

That's a really bad idea from a food hygiene perspective. 

it's just basic food hygiene that any self respecting chef should know about, or should have known even when you were a teenager. 

That's what I thought at the time!

But I was just the kitchen porter.

(And I won't mention the rotting potatoes in the bottom of the storage bin because the stock wasn't rotated - a new delivery was just put on top of old, or the quarter inch thick layer of congealed fat on the floor around the deep fat frier...)

• Horror 2