Ex working boatman at Colwich

SteveE

Featured Posts

I met this chap at Colwich lock approaching Great Haywood a couple of weeks ago. He lives in the lock keeper's cottage there and, as he was wandering about with a windlass in his pocket and I was single handed, he helped me do the lock (21 on the T&M). He had a fund of stories about his days on the working boats, including taking carboys of acid to Hovis ("never buy their bread - it's got that stuff in it!"). He had an interesting old windlass which he said was made of phosphor bronze and was his grandfather's. I wondered if he was illiterate because he recoiled from my suggestion that he should write all this stuff down.

He wasn't very complimentary about some hirer's and recounted his meeting with one lady who was on a hire boat out of Great Haywood and was pissed off with boating already. She was trying to do the lock in pouring rain in high heels and a tailored black bin liner!

Does anyone know of him?

SteveE

• 12 years later...

This old post that goes back to BW days had no reply.

But I was curious to know what happened to the occupant of the Colwich Lock house and his memory of boating acid to the Hovis Mill, presumably at Macclesfield.

As to the lady with high heels- I presume this was a one-off trip!

• Greenie 1

Colwich lock house sold in about 2013 ish. The new folks have planted some screening conifers at the edge of the lockside, I did report this to CRT, however, they are still there and no doubt roots gradually doing untold damage underneath the surface.

In view of the comments about new ownership, the lock cottage is grade 2 listed. Any serious alteration may be in contravention with the listing..

As to canal construction, this part I guess was between 1768 and 1770, as records are hard to come by.

814315.jpg

The actual lockhouse building may be contemporary with the canal, but could also be later,  and with extensions added later. That is the problem with lack of records, however the building has the appearance of being eighteenth century and that is confirmed by the listing details.

Fradley Junction is another place with interesting buildins, and many listed.

11 minutes ago, Heartland said:

The actual lockhouse building may be contemporary with the canal, but could also be later,  and with extensions added later. That is the problem with lack of records, however the building has the appearance of being eighteenth century and that is confirmed by the listing details.

Fradley Junction is another place with interesting buildins, and many listed.

Its definitely been extended by about half since it was built. You just need to look at the way the windows  are set in to see that

• 2 years later...

Replying to SteveE's post.....

I have met the gentlman you speak of, he pops into our health food shop in Rugeley and has been back again today.

I am amazed since he certainly doesn't look the age that he is!

He was telling me of his upbringing on the boat with his parents and siblings.   The parents had the boatman's cabin and the children slept on top of the load in the boat.   The worst and most uncomfortable load being coal.  He used to ask his dad to travel up to pick up acid in carboys since this was the most comfortable load.  The glass containers would be encased in strong wire cubes and packed with straw.  They would pull the straw up so that it made an even and soft "mattress". 

I can fully understand his stance on modern boaters "they don't understand"   since this way of life so many years ago was so difficult.  Windy weather was the worse with his one brother on one side of the 40 tonne boat trying to stop it being blown across the cannal, whilst the other brother at the other side manned the barge pole stopping it hitting the side when it was blown the other way.

Yes this man could not read or write.  They were never in one place long enough for him to attend school.  If he did, he would find himself put at he back of the class and largeley ignored.    However, he was too essential to the family's living to be afforded school.

He did learn to read and write when he joined the marines. 

I really do admire this chap since he has never stopped working throughout his life.  His work being heavy manual work.  He had to be tough to survive

• Greenie 4

On 26/02/2020 at 16:39, Heartland said:

... t814315.jpghe lock cottage is grade 2 listed. Any serious alteration may be in contravention with the listing..

As to canal construction, this part I guess was between 1768 and 1770, as records are hard to come by.

spacer.png

The Watney book of Inland Cruising Viscount StDavids published 1966 emphasised "painted white to be seen in the dark" Trees were smaller then... 

spacer.png

a couple of chimneypots have disappeared ... and 5May2021

Tonic81_DSCN5528.jpg

Other views from 'Tonic 19Aug2013  4Nov2016  12July2018  (#2) 25Apr2021  5May2021