Help I put Oil into the wrong place (Air valve)

MrBadger

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, MrBadger said:

Also, before I started turning it with the key the hand crank allowed me to move it about an inch and it turned the flywheel I could hear a clunk when I did it.

16952309126977299581447839392003.jpg

The clunk was possibly the starter unsticking from the flywheel.

Charge the battery and fire it up.

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Did you check the battery? 

Battery is reading 12.65...so maybe it isn't that?

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The clunk was possibly the starter unsticking from the flywheel.

Charge the battery and fire it up.

It's reading 12.65 wouldn't that be enough?

2 minutes ago, MrBadger said:

When?

12.65V at rest is only semi-useful in itself. If you have a voltmeter, buy some crocodile clips and take voltage readings during cranking. It will give a clearer indication of the health of the battery.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, MrBadger said:

Is that 12.65v off charge? Sounds like it must be? If so that should be enough. Mind you, if it's been fully charged why is it only sitting at 12.65v? If it's healthy I'd expect 12.8v at least for a wet lead/acid. 

Edited by blackrose

Could be a connection. 

However if the engine was fine before the oil addition incident then it does seem related. 

Any extensive cranking will knock the battery out fairly quickly. 

Is the battery on a charger from mains, solar or something? 

Sometimes batteries can show a good voltage but be dead inside. 

As mentioned above a discharge test would be worth doing. 

Engine turning over on the starter has to be good news. Presumably this is with the decompressors open as shown in the last image you posted. 

3 minutes ago, MrBadger said:

Now I can't seem to get it moving 

I can't see any signs on the side of the hole the starter came out of that indicates that you have tried leavening the flywheel both ways, but maybe you have. You need a LARGE screwdriver of leaver bar.

20 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I can't see any signs on the side of the hole the starter came out of that indicates that you have tried leavening the flywheel both ways, but maybe you have. You need a LARGE screwdriver of leaver bar.

It.moved before I turned it now it will not. How much pressure should I apply I do not want to damage it?

21 minutes ago, Paul C said:

As has been already mentioned, you need someone with a bit more experience to see if it will in fact move or not, when you say you can't get it moving. Its easy to type in on the internet to try a bit harder, but in reality we don't know how or how much you're pushing it.

I did try hard pushing it downwards in particular with a screwdriver on the teeth

22 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The oil pressure gauge was doing something at some stage and now the engine won't turn over. 

How low did the oil actually get and did the pressure gauge drop to zero? 

Oil didn't get low I mistook the pressure gauge as being oil level as I'm new and silly. The engine doesn't turn over due to my oil placement mistake I wouldn't say they were necessarily connected 

1 minute ago, MrBadger said:

It.moved before I turned it now it will not. How much pressure should I apply I do not want to damage it?

I did try hard pushing it downwards in particular with a screwdriver on the teeth

But were you using a LARGE (long) screwdriver as a lever or just pushing on a tooth. If the latter, I am not surprised that you can't move t

it.

10 minutes ago, MrBadger said:

I'd say a 100 or so kg would be about the (very) safe limit. You'd probably be fine applying 1/4 of a tonne of force. 

22 hours ago, MrBadger said:

initial reason for my foolish topping up of oil in the wrong place was because the oil pressure gauge, which usually sits at around half, suddenly was getting worryingly low... 

So the oil pressure was low but the oil level was not low? 

This could indicate diesel fuel diluting the lubrication oil which lowers the viscosity of the lube oil and could potentially lead to a loss of oil pressure and a bearing seizing. 

Its not all that likely but the oil pressure being "worrying low" is an interesting factor in this story. 

When you stopped the engine after the previous use did it all seem normal in the sense of it taking a while to die after pulling the stop cable? 

I think the OP's lack of aptitude will prevent us being able to resolve his problems. He cannot follow the instructions properly as he has no mechanical understanding of engines.

He would be better off getting an engineer out to sort it before he gets too involved and causes more problems.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I think the OP's lack of aptitude will prevent us being able to resolve his problems. He cannot follow the instructions properly as he has no mechanical understanding of engines.

He would be better off getting an engineer out to sort it before he gets too involved and causes more problems.

I know just a little more than OP, and have to agree.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

He appreciates your help immensely and he also cannot afford an engineer at £55 per hour. He is also learning! And he will get there 💪🏽

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

So the oil pressure was low but the oil level was not low? 

This could indicate diesel fuel diluting the lubrication oil which lowers the viscosity of the lube oil and could potentially lead to a loss of oil pressure and a bearing seizing. 

Its not all that likely but the oil pressure being "worrying low" is an interesting factor in this story. 

When you stopped the engine after the previous use did it all seem normal in the sense of it taking a while to die after pulling the stop cable? 

No it did behave exactly like that - honestly I really thing all was well until my mistake. 

On 20/09/2023 at 20:24, Tracy D'arth said:

Update! 

The flywheel moves well both sides. 

After moving it quite a bit I have become able to crank in the direction it would not budge before. Not easily at all and not one full turn, kind of quarters but I can always kind of pulse it. I could hear hissing and other noises coming from air valve and noticed that around the back of my boat oil had found itself in the water. 

The engine is trying to turn better than it ever has but i am worried about frying the battery. My theory is the hand cranking is pushing stuff out that should not be there.

Thinking I will carry on and jump start it later. 

Any other thoughts?

Engine was sounding really normal when I just started to turn it on the key, still with the decompression arms open.

Keep winding on the handle and that is good news that oil is getting out of the exhaust.

Don't waste battery unless you have mains power to charge or another fully charged battery. Its a bit late in the day. 

When it starts tomorrow it will smoke a lot as already suggested above. 

30 minutes ago, MrBadger said:

I could hear hissing and other noises coming from air valve

I am guessing that you actually mean the air inlet, there are no air valves, named as such, on typical diesels. You do have three inlet valves (and three exhaust valves) on an SR3 and the majority of other three cylinder diesels. On one hand it is not important as long as everyone knows what you are on about, but there will be less confusion, and you will not show yourself as "ripe for wallet raiding" buy "professionals". I had a problem trying to work out what your frst post was on about.

Anyway, pleased you have got it going so congratulations on sticking at it, but I would still like to know exactly how you turned the flywheel in each direction.

21 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Smokin

Thanks for your help magnetman 🧲 

30 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am guessing that you actually mean the air inlet, there are no air valves, named as such, on typical diesels. You do have three inlet valves (and three exhaust valves) on an SR3 and the majority of other three cylinder diesels. On one hand it is not important as long as everyone knows what you are on about, but there will be less confusion, and you will not show yourself as "ripe for wallet raiding" buy "professionals". I had a problem trying to work out what your frst post was on about.

Anyway, pleased you have got it going so congratulations on sticking at it, but I would still like to know exactly how you turned the flywheel in each direction.

Thanks for this and I take on board what you are saying - where would be best to start to learn more and get the names right? I have really enjoyed this whole process. 

I turned it using a large screwdriver as advised. I think turning it a lot helped me out big time.