GU fuel tanks on wooden boats

fittie

Featured Posts

Harland and Wolff built a small number of wooden pairs, and must have had the fabrication ability for tanks,so presumably they made them for the motors they built.. 

'Walker's of Rickmansworth" gives no detail of the arrangements for metal work generally.  ISTR they had the smithing capacity for guard irons and stem bars and the like, so may well have been able to make up the tanks to a GUCC requirement. The Ricky construction dates mean they were most likely riveted.

N

Walkers certainly did make nice guard irons. I had a few lengths out back in the magneteering days outside Tesco. 

Don't know about the diesel tanks but presumably there are still some Ricky motors extant so it must be reasonably straightforward to find out this detail..

Seems likely it would have been specified by the company ordering the boats. 

No evidence, but I was told back in the 80s in The General Eliott by an old boy who had worked across the cut.  He said the Steel Barrel Co. had a hand in meeting FMC's requirements when it came to fuel tanks for wooden boats, maintenance and horse boat conversions.  Boats having Bolinder's fitted required a circular indent in the tank to allow removal of the flywheel.  He said that following the GUCCCo expansion order The Steel Barrel tendered to Walkers of Rickmansworth for the same thing.  They did it through a contractor.

Like I said, no evidence, at the time it didn't interest me enough to ask further and it was 40 years ago.

• Greenie 1

Both the GEORGE and the MARY were built by the Steel Barrel Co. of Uxbridge as prototypes of the Royalty Class in 1929. The remaining Royalty motors were built by Yarwoods and James Pollock and Sons of Faversham. I suspect barrels would not have been used for fuel tanks, as they would take up too much space. More likely (a look in GEORGE's engin'ole would confirm) they would have optimised the available space, and therefore resembled that which subsequent boats from Woolwich, Northwich and probably Rickmansworth etc. would have followed. Just a calculated guess though.

Edited by Derek R.

I think that the 'Royalty' boats fuel tanks were not the same as the rest of the GU boats. I know that HW built some wooden motors but I was thinking of the small Ricky motors. Did they build their own tanks or out sourced them and if so who?

Interesting that the side ladders appear to be both attached to the gunwale lining plank and bolted to lugs welded to the top of the fuel tank. So does that mean removable floor plates weren't fitted above the tanks as on the Woolwich and Northwich boats (except to bridge the gap between the rear end of the tank and the back cabin bulkhead)?

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Interesting that the side ladders appear to be both attached to the gunwale lining plank and bolted to lugs welded to the top of the fuel tank. So does that mean removable floor plates weren't fitted above the tanks as on the Woolwich and Northwich boats (except to bridge the gap between the rear end of the tank and the back cabin bulkhead)?

There is some form of flooring above the tank, it looks like a thick piece of timber.