Risotto or whatto?

LadyG

Featured Posts

Ok,

So was making lentil soup, two small brown onions, some oil, salt and seven minutes to simmer to soft, then added a few lentils, and a bit of stock,, and a squeeze of tomato paste, simmer ten mins, lacking something so added half a pack of Uncle Ben's wholemeal microwave rice. 

Half a glass of red wine, (not wasted in soup) later.

It's lovely, but it's risotto.

Best rice dish this week.

I'm trying to do egg fried rice from basic ingredients, but it's not great.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

If you're gonna make risotto, then use arborio rice. I can't think of any reason to ever use Uncle Ben's, let alone microwave Uncle Ben's rice. Just say No!

I have some in the cupboard, but I'll wait till solid fuel stove is hot.

I just use microwave rice cos is it's ready to eat, if you use it in recipes. Usually disappointing, but the wholemeal turned out ok.

Obviously not using a microwave!

29 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

If you're gonna make risotto, then use arborio rice. I can't think of any reason to ever use Uncle Ben's, let alone microwave Uncle Ben's rice. Just say No!

Couldnt agree more.

Use Tesco microwave rice- its about half the price 😀

14 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Oh my god, I remember tesco. And not in a good way.

Agreed, that's why I mentioned Uncle Ben's wholemeal, it's better than the white rice too, which has a sort of "Uncle Ben's" signature style, sort of perfect shape.

I've got a packet of the egg fried rice (special offer), not expecting miracles but I usually add something fresh to these packets, makes them a bit tastier.

Just put through another order online with Morrisons, prices still rising, last year my online order was about £56, this year its £106.

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Agreed, that's why I mentioned Uncle Ben's wholemeal, it's better than the white rice too, which has a sort of "Uncle Ben's" signature style, sort of perfect shape.

I've got a packet of the egg fried rice (special offer), not expecting miracles but I usually add something fresh to these packets, makes them a bit tastier.

Just put through another order online with Morrisons, prices still rising, last year my online order was about £56, this year its £106.

Oh how we are looking forward to 10 days in the UK soon...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

As for your quest to make great egg fried rice from basic ingredients, it can be a bit tricky to master, but practice makes perfect. You might find some helpful tips or recipes online, especially if you're looking for the best instant pot recipes. Experimenting with different techniques and seasonings can help you achieve that delicious restaurant-quality egg-fried rice you're aiming for. Keep trying, and you'll likely improve with each attempt. Enjoy your culinary adventures!

Edited by thomas.simmons
  • Happy 1

On 01/09/2023 at 19:16, Sea Dog said:

Please tell me you don't make it with Uncle Ben's microwave rice...! :sick::D

Not deliberately.

Anyways, today while cleaning my food cupboard I discovered a pack for Shamira wrap, so that's dinner (aka lunch) sorted. It's six weeks past BBE

Edited by LadyG