Strawberry Island Boat Club Doncaster SIBC

Featured Posts

This is for those speeding members of SIBC, try slowing down when passing moored boats. Have been passed several times over the last couple of months by groups of members on the South Yorkshire navigation and not once any slowing down, more like Wacky Races with boats trying to overtake each other and jostling for position also leaving locks and putting the power on to catch each other up. Not just myself thats noticed but it’s often remarked on in the area.

You have signs when approaching your moorings asking boaters to go slow passed moored boats, your members need to observe this also. I can understand some of the larger GRP’s going a little faster but not the Narrowboaters. 

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

When we hired from Selby I thought that most of the boat club members in the North East were prats but on our own boat we were offered the use of his empty mooring by a SIBC member. Found they were actually quite a nice bunch. But that was 14 years ago.

22 minutes ago, pearley said:

When we hired from Selby I thought that most of the boat club members in the North East were prats but on our own boat we were offered the use of his empty mooring by a SIBC member. Found they were actually quite a nice bunch. But that was 14 years ago.

Most I’ve talked to are ok, but when they have their little group outings 2-8 boats, they tend to show no respect for anyone else when it comes to moored boats, often it’s like they need to get there soonest, seeing new boats and new members, often going out for weekend jaunts. Maybe as the canals are wider, they think it makes no difference to speed past?

Whilst I in no way condone speeding it has to be said that the majority of the Yorkshire navigations are wide and deep. Dropping down to tickover is fairly pointless. Never had an issue on the A&C or New Cut and although I have only passed Strawberry Island twice in 20 years I don't think I would be too worried about the speed of any narrowboat passing me when moored.

8 hours ago, Midnight said:

Whilst I in no way condone speeding it has to be said that the majority of the Yorkshire navigations are wide and deep. Dropping down to tickover is fairly pointless. Never had an issue on the A&C or New Cut and although I have only passed Strawberry Island twice in 20 years I don't think I would be too worried about the speed of any narrowboat passing me when moored.

There are narrow points where moored boats are, Long Sandel, Barmby Dunn lift bridge also it’s not just wider cansls, you have the Stainforth. I think they tend to speed because they organise these group outings to go out Saturday morning returning Sunday, so they want to get to their location asap. It’s like wacky races watching them jostling back and forth, sometimes three abreast, they’re basically becoming a joke in the area.

Their boat club/moorings are on a wider part of the canal, but they still have signs up asking boats to slow down, sometimes it’s more about showing a little respect to others, something that seams to be lacking sometimes.

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Have you contacted the club? A polite message may possibly point out the error of their ways and help sort it? 

Particularly since it appears that there aren't any SIBC members on this forum. Perhaps issuing their bollocking here might be less than well-targeted.