Tiller control-less tunnel passage?

Chris J W

Featured Posts

Ok, this question is based on a joke in the Canal Etiquette thread ...

On the subject of tunnels...

107. In need of some exercise? Just put your boat in gear, line up for the tunnel and jump off the boat before it has fully entered. You can have a nice walk over the top of the tunnel rather than standing in the damp and gloom within. Just make sure you reach the other end before the boat as it won't be stopping for you!

But is it actually possible to go through a tunnel like this?

YES, I know it is a BAD thing to do, but purely out of curiosity ... well ... can you??

Ok, this question is based on a joke in the Canal Etiquette thread ...

YES, I know it is a BAD thing to do, but purely out of curiosity ... well ... can you??

I used to know someone who had a 35ft boat and who also suffered from claustrophbia. He regularly single handed for a week at a time, and I asked him how he managed tunnels. He told me that he would put the boat in forward gear at slow speed and then go down below until the boat reached the other end, keeping a lookout through the forward window for oncoming boats. The boat was scarred from contact with the tunnel walls but he considered it worth it!

Howard Anguish

I used to know someone who had a 35ft boat and who also suffered from claustrophbia. He regularly single handed for a week at a time, and I asked him how he managed tunnels. He told me that he would put the boat in forward gear at slow speed and then go down below until the boat reached the other end, keeping a lookout through the forward window for oncoming boats. The boat was scarred from contact with the tunnel walls but he considered it worth it!

Howard Anguish

Yeah? Blimey! Hope there were no sharp turns!

I remember seeing a short film about a working horse boat family, they explained that they had a technique for passage through one of the longer narrow tunnels, can't remember which.. Rather than legging through they would time their arrival late in the evening, put the boat in the tunnel and go to bed, they would awake in the morning in sunshine the prevailing wind having pushed the boat silently through.

The problem with this is that it's not necessarily the sides and fenders that will hit the wall first. On my second ever tunnel (Bruntwood I think it was) I was fooled by the optical illusion approaching the tunnel into thinking it was shorter than it was, and thought I could dispense with the tunnel lamp. Once inside I soon realised my foolish error as total blackness engulfed the boat and sickening clangs came from all sides. Being in the pitch dark it was impossible to tell where the boat was hitting and when I finally emerged at the other end it was the cabin that had taken the worst punishment, having had a few fights with the tunnel roof. I don't think I'll ever subject her to that hind of punishment again, and I certainly wouldn't send her through unmanned.

• 1 month later...

Cant resist telling the story about going through blissworth tunnel with a young lady who shall remain nameless less she cares to own up :)

No light on the front of her boat and really properly frightened of ghosties in the tunnel

I say "dont worry follow me thru", I turned on all my lights and put soothing Sophie solomon LP on loudly to soothe poor terrified maiden, passage commences.

Terrified maiden navigates tunnel by going crash bang thump and swearing like a trooper. At one point I shout back and suggest stopping in the middle for exciting and unusual sex. She not in the mood for such exitement as convinced she is about to be eaten by ghosties wot live in tunnel.

We finally emerge from tunnel to be greeted by large crowd of japanese tourists and the young ladies parents who have come to meet her on her journey.

I hadnt realised that every word etc spoken in the tunnel was audible to anyone waiting on the other side :smiley_offtopic:

I took a picture and said ooh hello.

I hadnt realised that every word etc spoken in the tunnel was audible to anyone waiting on the other side :smiley_offtopic:

Cracking story!

- And realistically, the only way to smooth it over.

Daniel

At very slow speed the boat should gently rub along the side - if it is straight and smooth - but usually the sides are not straight or smooth and a bump from an uneven tunnel wall or obstruction will send the boat over to the other side - bump again - then zig-zag and bump-bump all the way through.

It's much more fun to hang onto the tiller, keep the boat heading straight down the middle and open up the regulator - on the other hand, TOP's suggestions sound like even more fun :smiley_offtopic:

Edited 'cos its late and I pressed the wrong key . . .

Edited by NB Alnwick

Cant resist telling the story about going through blissworth tunnel with a young lady who shall remain nameless less she cares to own up :)

No light on the front of her boat and really properly frightened of ghosties in the tunnel

I say "dont worry follow me thru", I turned on all my lights and put soothing Sophie solomon LP on loudly to soothe poor terrified maiden, passage commences.

Terrified maiden navigates tunnel by going crash bang thump and swearing like a trooper. At one point I shout back and suggest stopping in the middle for exciting and unusual sex. She not in the mood for such exitement as convinced she is about to be eaten by ghosties wot live in tunnel.

We finally emerge from tunnel to be greeted by large crowd of japanese tourists and the young ladies parents who have come to meet her on her journey.

:lol::D

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, this question is based on a joke in the Canal Etiquette thread ...But is it actually possible to go through a tunnel like this?YES, I know it is a BAD thing to do, but purely out of curiosity ... well ... can you??
Many years ago we visited Llangollen to see the aqueduct. A full length family boat arrived at the Chirk end and to our amazement the crew disembarked. Dad put the engine in slow forward and then they all climbed down into the valley and walked to the other end to find their boat.

Some tugs had wheels on them so that they didnt need steering, other members might be able to tell you which tunnels (here or in France) they were used in

Some worked by pulling in a chain laid on the bottom over a gypsy (a chain gypsy, not a person of the romany persuasion) - steam driven, in France, I think, until taken over by the electric. Didn't the French try electric towing mules on the towpath too?